which lens?? 150-600 ..

Name
Damen
Edit My Images
Yes
im thinking about buying a longer zoom lens, I have a tamron 70-200 f2.8 G2, its a awesome lens but the reach for wildlife parks etc isn't quite there.

im torn what to get

sigma 150-600 contempary
sigma 150-600 sports
200-500 nikon
150-600 tamron g2

any help would be great.

cheers

apologies for widening this but could I throw the Canon 100-400 ii with a tc in to the mix

this is one I’m struggling with at the minute

would AF on a 5d iv be much better with the 6.3 aperture of one of the big zooms be better than F8 on the Canon?

and which is the better of the 3rd party zooms at the long end?

Dave

im thinking about buying a longer zoom lens, I have a tamron 70-200 f2.8 G2, its a awesome lens but the reach for wildlife parks etc isn't quite there.

im torn what to get

sigma 150-600 contempary
sigma 150-600 sports
200-500 nikon
150-600 tamron g2

any help would be great.

cheers
You don't say what body you will use the lens on.
The Sigma Sport is a heavy lens, the contemporary less so and many get good results ... add to this the availability of the dock to 'fine tune' to some degree and the 600mm and either are good options.
All of the 150-600 options are f6.3 at the far reach, which you will use extensively for wildlife, and that can be limiting, especially with a body less able at high ISO.
Personally I use the Nikon 200-500 f5.6 for my wildlife photography and find it very capable and much, much lighter than the Sigma Sport.
Having f5.6 at the 'long end' is very useful and I use it to good effect mainly on my crop Nikon D7500.

apologies for widening this but could I throw the Canon 100-400 ii with a tc in to the mix

would AF on a 5d iv be much better with the 6.3 aperture of one of the big zooms be better than F8 on the Canon?

Dave
It would be better to start your own thread than confuse this one with a different question and a different make of equipment.

Last edited:
Hi, I have the sigma 150-600 contempary, and took these pics with it on the Nikon D800 :

D80_8540-s150-c-tp.jpg

D80_8680-n70c-tp.jpg

Last edited:
Personally I would opt for the Tamron 150-600 G2.
I've had a play with a friends one and I was very impressed with the IQ.
If you want UK stock Amazon and Clifton cameras are currently selling them for £899.97
I've also had a play with the Sigma 150-600 Contemorary and I think the G2 has and edge over it IQ wise.
I'm also planning on buying one in March and although I intended on buying from einfinity, I might buy one from a legite UK seller if the price is the same as it is now with Amazon and Clifton.

Thanks for the i our guys it’s for my Nikon d600 FF and my Nikon d3400 Crop

Dave

Absolutely useless for the OP... ;)

I can only comment on 2
The sigma 150-600 contemporary I got some great shots with it.
The Nikon 200-500 I get great shots with it much better keeper rate and dusk or duller days much better.

I’ve used the g2 on my d500 and it was fantastic. I’ll add “in the right light” because as mentioned above, you’ll need it at f6.3

i got some great shots but it took a bit of practice

I have the Sigma 150-600C which is very impressive but needs decent light given the f6.3 aperture. I tried the Sport version but it was too heavy for me, not a problem if you use a tripod. I mainly use mine for bird photograph, I expect the light will be better in wildlife parks so f6.3 is not as limiting. If possible before you buy.

I was a little confused as the thread title made no reference to Nikon

Apologies for the time wasted whilst reading my posting

and best wishes to all

Dave

Back