Which lens for VERY close up

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
No
I am looking to buy in the near future a lens for really close up work (see image below for an example). Not sure what to look for. I would like to get 'really' up close but have no idea on what to look for. I have a Canon 50mm f2.5 but want something telephoto so 'I' can decide how close to get.

I am building a desk top studio and will have 2 flexible reading lamps for lighting (yes very low cost!!) and i will get some dimmers fitted to them for optimum amount of light. So what other equipment will i need?

Like this but even closer!
page10_1.png

A proper macro lens will get you close 1:1, such as Canon 100mm macro, 50mm macro. The longer the focal length, the further you can be away from your subject. If you want even close there is an MPE-65 which gives you a 5x magnification.

If I recall properly, the 50mm isn't a true macro.... (it doesn't produce a life-size image on the sensor or something like that). The Sigma 105mm f/2.8 and Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 seem to come highly recommended, but it depends on how much cash you're willing to part with really!

Chris

Canon 100mm has been perfect for me.
and I would highly recommend! it was actually my first lens purchase

just with the lens.
n1049706904_189754_8973.jpg

n1049706904_189753_8712.jpg

together with a couple of extension tubes.
you can get this.
n1049706904_189755_9243.jpg

I had a sigma 105mm and liked it a lot
if poss I always go for the canon original, so the one listed above should be cracking.
if you want telephoto though, there is the option of a 'macro' 70-300 zoom type lens but the dedicated 1:1 macro lenses with a f-stop of 2.8 or so would be better quality I think if you want to go pro on it.
also you can get tubes which will get you even closer to the action :)

Sigma 105mm F2.8 very sharp with good working distance.

i was given extension tubes but how are they used they feel very loose on the camera or am i mounting them wrong ?

I can't find anyone who sells the MPE-65. Any help?

Thanks Chris, much appreciated!

Blimey thats expensive!!!!

I do have a Sigma 17-70mm f2.8 or a Canon 55-250mm f4 IS, will either of those get in closer than my 50mm Canon?

The MP-e is an expensive and difficult lens to use and you will need flash really to get the best out of it. Also when you go above 3x everything becomes dark so focussing lamps are a good Idea too. I use the canons MT-24 ex macrolite which has foccussing lamps built in but at around £600 are not cheap. Another route is using the Raynox macro lens range which will give you excellent result and cost around £30 each. Extenions are also good but best with a 1x macro lens and using a full set of tubes will increase that to 2x. Hope this helps in some way ;)

Yes thanx. I think the extension tubes may be the way to go for now. I can't justify spending over £600 for a lens just to get close ups.

Bit confused about the Raynox Macro lens as i don't know what i'm looking at as there are lenses and things that you clip on the front.

The next step are some of the 90/100/105mm lenses that can be had used for about £160-£200
I think the MP-E is overkill as a first macro lens!

I already have a Canon Compact 50mm f2.5 lens so extension tubes seems a good cost efective way to go i think.

Yes thanx. I think the extension tubes may be the way to go for now. I can't justify spending over £600 for a lens just to get close ups.

Bit confused about the Raynox Macro lens as i don't know what i'm looking at as there are lenses and things that you clip on the front.

The raynox lens does clip on the front of a std lens the two models are the DCR 150 & DCR 250 and there about £40.00 each - if you go for the extension tubes make sure you get some that maintain the electrical connection between the body and the lens such as Kenko otherwise so you retain aperture control or its a pain.

Brilliant! Thanks, all clear now. I think a decent extension kit will be the answer and yes I'll go for one that has the electrical connectors.

Many thanks

hey theyre im wonder because of the 1.6 crop sensor on my 450 what are good lens to go for for getting right close to the action i have a 18-55 the now im looking for anything closer than that fixed or zoom but not macro . also any possible wide or fish eye lenses.

The next step are some of the 90/100/105mm lenses that can be had used for about £160-£200
I think the MP-E is overkill as a first macro lens!

so these lens are called macro? is it the same as prime?

Macro is a close-up lens (around 100mm usually) but prime is a lens which can't zoom in or out. So they are different. I think that's the basic difference... (y)

Macro is a close-up lens (around 100mm usually) but prime is a lens which can't zoom in or out. So they are different. I think that's the basic difference... (y)

Not quite;)

A true Macro lens will give 1:1 magnification and is a prime lens, they come in various focal lengths including 60/90/100/105/150/180/200 and probably a lot more.

If you can find one, the Cosina Macro in Canon fit (think it was 100mm) is a bargain....usually available for about £70 used and pretty damn sharp. AF is fairly lousy but I don't know many Macro fans that tend to worry about AF. Your mileage may, of course, vary!

Cheers,
James

If they have the specific macto designation - yes.
And they are also prime lenses too - prime lenses are all lenses with a fixed focal length

All the lenses I refer to are capable of 1:1 macro reproduction. The 50mm F2.5 is capable of 1:2.
This is the ratio of how large the subject will appear on your camera's sensor - a 1:1 ratio will render your subject at life size on your sensor. My 40D sensor is 22mm wide so using a 1:1 lens means that a subject 22mm wide would fill the entire frame.

cool thanks

Back