Which Lens to use.

Wheels

Julian Keeler
Name
Julian
Edit My Images
No
We are taking the dog for a walk in a bit and there is a wetland pond there that has loads of dragon flies buzzing about, which of my lens's should I use? my 18-200 or 70-300?

which is faster ?

You may well need the 300 end of the lens - but you are going to have to use Shutter priority [ or whatever it's called on your Nikon ] since you are going to want to freeze the Dragonflies or Damselflies that you spot .

do you want to capture them moving or stationary

i think you may eventually need a macro...either close up or distant set type

as for movement...you need speed in the iso department along with large apertures..for both

do you want to capture them moving or stationary

i think you may eventually need a macro...either close up or distant set type

as for movement...you need speed in the iso department along with large apertures..for both

I failed miserably with the tamron I took 72 shots and not happy with 1 of them :bang:

I'm now into my second year of trying to get a good dragonfly in flight picture with no success. I've got some nice shots of them at rest but every single in flight shot is either OOF or suffering from movement blur.

To be fair neither of the lenses you had available made it any easier for you. It`s the sort of shot where a dedicated macro comes into it`s own. You have to keep the shutter speed up and be around them a while to anticipate movement and get used to what they do for best chance of success.

You would need high shutter speed to sort of freeze the action but that depends on the surrounding as you might want to bump up the iso up to get the effect.

I was trying to get them just resting on leaves or a fence or flowers but very poor quality

This is the best result

[S3]Warning Poor Quality Image :D[/S3]

DSC_3696.jpg

This is the best result

[S3]Warning Poor Quality Image :D[/S3]

DSC_3696.jpg

not so good...

my approach is try to get the animal in the flat field of your lens...then you dont need...and in fact dont have...lots of dof...

its a lottery with those characters...elephants are more friendly

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

does this look too sharp on your screen(s)

Stop being so harsh on yourself. You needed a higher f number - parts of the dragonfly are OOF cause of DOF. I know that it's disheartening sometimes, we've all been there, but Rome wasn't built in a day and all that. Keep practicing.

Yeah I know :bat: :D

Either get them when they land, or when they are hovering. The really big ones (emperor?) are easier, but they are a bugger when flying as they flit about really quickly.

Back