Which lens?

/sulks

I cant wait for mine now.

SammyC said:
C'mon Ken!!!! I need some before and after photos comparing it to the kit lens!!!! :D

It's spelled lens not lens! :)

spelt :) ;) :D
I've noticed that being a more common spelling mistake lately (lens instead of lens). I wonder why?

SammyC said:
C'mon Ken!!!! I need some before and after photos comparing it to the kit lens!!!! :D
Sorry these are not of anything special but I have been busy. This is next doors roof (in need of some work).
18-55 kit lens
@18mm
@55mm
70-300 apo dg macro
@70mm
@300mm
And macro
These were all hand held and very quickly taken.

Any of your next door neighbours? :naughty:
Actually I'm joking ;)

Just had an email with a tracking number, mine has been shipped, so should be here thursday or friday I hope :)

Noticable difference there! Seems to be a much clearer lens!

What's it like weight and size like when compared to the kit lens?

great stuff ken, looks like another fine Sigma, and not another soft one.

:D

My lens arrived at Heathrow at 08:10 this morning :)
I love online tracking.

Marcel said:

My lens arrived at Heathrow at 08:10 this morning :)
I love online tracking.

Ah, just another ten days till it gets to you then :D

Ooooh its getting closer.
Landed at the National Hub at 16:00 ish yesterday, and as of 00:10 today it's at the local Depot :D

Expected delivery date....TODAY!!!!

I do hope the children don't get ill or we need something from the shop, because my wife will be terribly inconvenienced being called out of work :D
Im not leaving this house till it arrives :D

A selection of shots followed by a comprehensive review?

Well she arrived at just gone 9 o clock this morning. No custom charges and a big friendly smile from the ParcelForce man. (I don't think it's fair me calling them the usual ParcelFarce today :))

Had a little play, now it's time to have another before little lad wakes up from his morning nap :)

Shall post more later.

First thoughts? Its not as heavy as I thought it would be.
And it's a bit noisy (AF). Not overly so, but noticably so. I'm certainly not disappointed at all though :D (BTW It's the APO DG version).

Right, that's good enough for me! Ordered from Onestop.

Is it here yet?!?!? :D

I didn't notice mine being noisy, atleast not compared to the 28-200 I had. I also thought mine was quite heavy, maybe it's just me. It seems as quick as the kit lens to focus. The 70-300 also without a doubt fits much, much better to the camera body, with no play at all, as has been mentioned before regarding the kit lens in another thread. The only thing that I don't care much for, is the finish, a glittery black effect but this is only cosmetic, I do apologise for not giving a comprehensive review on this or for not giving any info sooner. All the above can also be said for the sigma 28-70. I am happy with my 70-300 And @ £114 +p&p it is an absolute bargain, I am also happy with the 28-70 and reckon this lens will be on my camera more often than the 18-55.

No problem Ken, we all have lives to lead after all!
:)

* thinks... sell belly pork and get shares in Sigma!* :coat:

Can we have a Sigma 70-300 APO Macro DG forum please!!! :D

I noticed it (to me anyway) is noisier than the kit lens.
I can't think of an equivalent level of noise to compare it with. I'd say a little quieter than an auto 35mm camera winding on. But that's from memory of course.

I'm noticing now how heavy it is. MY arm is getting a bit more tired while playing around (well my wrist anyway), and I can now see why people think that the 350d is small. I can almost feel the benefit a grip or larger body would bring. It's not a major problem for me, I can just ee why others think so.
The lens is lighter than I expected it to be. This being my first venture into SLRdom, except for the Practika MTL-5B I have of my dads, complete with various lenses, I expected the lens to be heavier, as I didn't know what to expect.
The finish I quite like, I suppose it's down to the individual.

And boy is it long with the lens hood on :D
I felt like a perv pointing it out of my window before...lol
Hoping for a nice sunny day on saturday and to take my family to the park, so I'm hoping to get some nice candids of people while there. And also some shots of wildlife too.

Ive just taken a few shots with it for comparison, like Ken, shall upload them shortly.

it is noisy, but then its not a huge amount of money so what do you expect?, there are some canon zealots who will come along and moan about just about every aspect of the sigma, but if you got a good one then its a real bargain.

Don't get me wrong, it is not a complaint in any way. The noise doesn't bother me, I'm merely giving my first impressions.
I don't expect whisper quiet, top of the range electronics.

mines noisy as hell, but i love it:)

Here are some shots taken with it this afternoon (for focal length comparisons)

Sorry, I didn't put my 18-55 back on first to take wider shots, like Ken did.

@70mm
1_070mm.jpg

@100mm
2_100mm.jpg

@135mm
3_135mm.jpg

@200mm
4_200mm.jpg

@300mm
5_300mm.jpg

All taken at 1/125, f13, and ISO 200. (Although the sun came out for the first shot, not the cameras fault :D).

Mine's just arrived!!!!! :D :D :D :D

Can I just say, how neat is the wrapping from onestop!!?!? Wooo! It's like Christmas but without the tonnes of food. ;)

How good are onestop? I've been waiting a while for my lens to come from 7dayshop (Still waiting) Anyone been charged by customs and had to claim back difference? Thinking of cancelling from 7day and geting from onestop

Do it.

Apparently mine is waiting at home and there was no tax to pay. Hooray!

Unfortunately I won't have time to play with it tonight as I've got to go out as soon as I get home but such is life. I'm not working tomorrow so I'll tinker with it then.

sold me of to cancel from 7day shop :)

Done and ordered. saving a few £ aswell and its the newer DG version too.

Still me hama rucksack and filter were still a bargain from 7day :D

Some people get charged, some don't it's the luck of the draw. However, the majority arent getting charged, which is good, it's only a small percentage.

I asked the chap at Onestop how much it would be to upgrade the postage. Anything under £150 they send via normal airmail, 150-300 by HK Speedpost, which comes to us through parcelforce, then £300+ by courier (DHL I think). Apparently DHL parcels regularly get 'hit'.

So I paid £8 for an upgrade to Speedpost, which is usually 1-3 working days :D Even though the airmail normally takes that time, I wanted to be extra sure :D

Back