Which lens?

Are you rich, or have a nice big house?

If you are...then you have a niece and a nephew who'd like to meet you :D....lol

Marcel I agree whole heartedly with everything you said, which is why I was wondering if i'd even notice the difference between the newest lens and the oldest. There is a £60 difference between the 2 lenses warehouse express have and £50 with 7 dayshop between there 2, is the difference only going to show in my pocket. The only telephoto lens i had was the 28-200 sigma which I bought with the first 300 I had. Although it got me closer I don't feel it was close enough for what i wanted, so a 300 is minimum in my books. Thanks for your thoughts.
Ken.

Steve said:
God help us, two Marcels :whistling :shock:

:shock:

You know you wubs me really, you little tinker you.

My wife keeps saying that to me. Have you two been chatting? :naughty:

just to wander aimlessly back on topic, i think Sigma called the new supermacro the DG, so if you by the 70 - 300mm APO DG i THINK its the macro version, teh old one was either the 70 - 300APO or 70 - 300APO Super macro II

not confusing at all is it!

Iv'e opted for this 28-70mm f2.8-4 & 70-300 APO Super Macro II Special Offer at Warehouse express for £189.99 + £6.99 next day delivery. The ad just states 70-300 apo macro but I rang up and they have guaranteed that I will get the apo super macro II. Wish it was Tuesday. :D

Standing by for the rush of Kenco pics! :D

Great deal!

Ooooh a wise choice. Saying that I hope so, I won't know until I get mine :D, and mine won't be here for at least a few days yet. Depends how the seller sends it (via HK you see).

BTW Your sig will nee dupdating KenCo ;)

I'm like a child on christmas eve now, I can't wait either.

KenCo1964 said:
Iv'e opted for this 28-70mm f2.8-4 & 70-300 APO Super Macro II Special Offer at Warehouse express for £189.99 + £6.99 next day delivery. The ad just states 70-300 apo macro but I rang up and they have guaranteed that I will get the apo super macro II. Wish it was Tuesday. :D

Those lenses coupled with your existing Kit lens will give you a very good usable range and the Sigma glass should also keep the quality to a top notch standard. Add in the macro ability of the Sigma and you will have plenty to shoot.

Walks away to prepare for the rush of pictures shortly to be posted by Ken ;)

Good thread this, I'm thinking of that longer Sigma so I'll be interested to see what Ken and Marcel think of it with the 350D.

Although have we determined if these are the DG versions?

I know mine will be, I double checked before I ordered.

Well Iv'e just logged back on and started reading this thread, I was about to reply to a post asking if these were the dg versions.....well the one I had ordered was definately not the dg but I thought for the price and including the 28-70 was a fair comprimise.....BUT just as I was reading this the phone went....Warehouse express the lens in the special offer (70-300) is no longer available so they are upgrading this offer at now extra cost for the apo dg version...........!!!woooooohoooooo! things are just getting better. So now i'm getting the 2 lenses for the price of the 70-300. Warehouse express ROCK!

thats very good Ken, bargain!

Ken's having a very good day today. :D

You have fallen on your feet there mate. :thumb:

That *is* a nice bargain :D. You've basically got the lens for the same price as me, but with quicker delivery et al. Git.

I want my toy NOW!
/stamps feet.

Marcel said:
That *is* a nice bargain :D. You've basically got the lens for the same price as me, but with quicker delivery et al. Git.

I want my toy NOW!
/stamps feet.

Trust me the quality of that lens is brillient, and IMHO better than the Tamron Di

but the waiting for delivery can actually kill a person... especialy if they are big blond blokes :icon_eek:

Well anyone thats interested in this lens should ring there order in and ask about the version of 70-300 lens they are selling with the 28-70, because the ad says apo the older lenses are now discontinued, which only leaves the dl version which is not apo.
I've just checked the site again Here and they are now sold out, I hope it was people from here that got them. Or are have they just sussed that there site needed updated.
Edit: Sorry that link takes you to the digipad bit, on left digital/lenses/sigma 28-70 .

You mean this one?
"70-300mm F4-5.6 APO Macro Super DG (58mm)" £179.99.

I thought that was the one we've been talking about all along. The DG and APO designation is a new lens (or some argue that it's a buttered up version of an old lens), but it's new fodder, as it were. I thought the DL was the older version?

fingerz, that's the exact lens I've just ordered.

It's DG, so newer (digital only) model. APO, so newer glass resulting in less chromatic abherration. Except for the Super Macro II markings, I think this is the newest model. They only got it in stock about 4 weeks ago I think.

Anyway, I ordered it very late friday night (UK time), and found out today that it will be shipped tomorrow, due to a supplier cockup (would have been shipped today I suppose instead, what with it being the weekend).
I asked if I could upgrade the postage to HK Speedpost (2-3 working days usually), rather than standard airmail which would have taken 5-10 working days. He said I could do it for £8, so i did :D

That price does include postage though (normal airmail), and also they offer a no VAT guarantee. If you get hit by customs then pay it, and send Onestop the invoice (either scanned and emailed or faxed), and they will refund it.
Some products dont attract the no VAT guarantee though.

I must admit theyve been nothing but efficent and friendly, reading their sponsor thread over at the dvd forums (they're forum sponsors over there). Everyone's been happy with them. Were it not for everyone giving glowing accounts, I wouldnt have risked ordering from HK.
Needless to say I'm feeling very comfortable about the whole process.

And I CANT WAIT FOR MY NEW LENS!!! :D:D:D:D
(Which I am hoping will arrive in time for the weekend or early next week).

Marcel said:
You mean this one?
"70-300mm F4-5.6 APO Macro Super DG (58mm)" £179.99.

I thought that was the one we've been talking about all along. The DG and APO designation is a new lens (or some argue that it's a buttered up version of an old lens), but it's new fodder, as it were. I thought the DL was the older version?
I meant other rather than older BUT
Yes that's the lens but according to warehouse express there WAS also the 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO Macro II Super @£159.99 DISCONTINUED or the
70-300mm F4-5.6 Macro Super @ £99.99 DISCONTINUED
Which only leaves
70-300mm F4-5.6 DL Macro Super DG @ £114.99 although DG not apo which is why they have upgraded my order to the
70-300mm F4-5.6 APO Macro Super DG @ £179.99 & 28-70mm f2.8-4 Special Offer for £189.99 as the offer stated APO and the dl is not. However this offer has now sold out.

fingerz said:
Ok I'm confused.

I'm really tempted to get this lens for £114 from Onestop-digital. But what's the difference between this one and the one you're talking about above?

You're all befuddling my brain.

Marcel - has yours arrived yet? How is it?
These are advertised as being the same lens, the price difference is amazing considering Onestop also include P&P BUT I emailed them on Friday and as yet have still not had a reply from them, which is why I purchased from warehouse express, also onestop is an international guarantee not UK. How much difference that makes i'm not sure, just playing safe.

All Sigma guarantees are international, SigmaUK will repair any sigma lens no matter which country you buy it from.

KenCo1964 said:
These are advertised as being the same lens, the price difference is amazing considering Onestop also include P&P BUT I emailed them on Friday and as yet have still not had a reply from them, which is why I purchased from warehouse express, also onestop is an international guarantee not UK. How much difference that makes i'm not sure, just playing safe.

Perfectly understandable mate. I noticed the chap was replying to posts and queries within minutes all last week, yet less so over the weekend :) So I suppose I had the added benefit of seeing previous response.

Has your postie been yet? It's 9:16 :D

Looking through a couple of issues of Practical Photography from a couple of months ago, there was a comparsion of various 300mm zooms and the 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO Macro Super DG came out tops - the review said it was streets ahead of the 70 quid cheaper Sigma.

Steep said:
All Sigma guarantees are international, SigmaUK will repair any sigma lens no matter which country you buy it from.
Well that was something I didn't really know but as I said "just playing safe" I read this Things you should know
before going grey…
•Sigma EX products sourced from foreign markets
will not include the valuable addition of Sigma
Imaging (UK) Ltd’s extended UK warranty, offering
an extra two years free of charge to provide an
unrivalled three years’ peace of mind.
But that obviously only covers the EX range, which somehow slipped to the back of my mind whilst plodging through all the bumf on all the other abreviasions.
Marcel, unfortunately not, the post hasn't arrived yet. I am remaining calm as I know it will be today (or god help someone). :)

Think happy thoughts ..... think happy thoughts .....

milou said:
Looking through a couple of issues of Practical Photography from a couple of months ago, there was a comparsion of various 300mm zooms and the 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO Macro Super DG came out tops - the review said it was streets ahead of the 70 quid cheaper Sigma.

Having owned both the 'non APO' and the APO versions of this lens I can confirm that the APO is streets ahead. I bought my cheaper one from the USA and was mightily dissapointed with it, so much so that I sent it to SigmaUK thinking it must be a bad one (Sigmas quality control can be suspect). SigmaUK said "Nothing wrong here, it must be your camera. However we've changed all the optics as a goodwill gesture" It was better when I got it back but not by much. I sold it on and bought the APO version from 7dayshop last December, I've been very very happy with it so far.

The posty has landed 70-300 APO DGcomes in a case too. Now to play.

nice little case for the sigma innit....dont like the lens hood though, would have liked a nice flower type one..

C'mon Ken!!!! I need some before and after photos comparing it to the kit lens!!!! :D

SammyC said:
C'mon Ken!!!! I need some before and after photos comparing it to the kit lens!!!! :D
Patience young man patience, :) I have already had a quick play and I am impressed, macro is good and will definitely play with that, the zoom is also enough for what I wanted (for now). I have to do a few things first but will definitely upload a couple soon.

SammyC said:

Just remember - you encouraged him! :D

Back