Which lowend Mirrorless as backup camera.

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

I have been a proud owner of a Canon 7D MK1 and 5D MKIII for a few years now and as my Kitbag is getting extremely heavy for holidays, I am looking at getting a Mirrorless to save having to rely on my DSLR bodies. So the time has come to start looking at Mirrorless, which is completely new to me. Now ideally the mirrorless less will be used as my 2nd camera, as still love using my 5D MKIII for Portraits & Landscapes, plus ringside photography at local wrestling and band photos once they start up playing again.

So with the above in mind, I will mainly be using the mirrorless for wildlife, Macro, possibly landscape if I decide to leave the 5D at home when travelling abroad. The only thing really that I require is to have something with similar image quality to my Canon 7D & something that can use a Metabones adapter with AF support, so that I can possibly use my current 50mm either 1.8 / 1.4, 100mm 2.8L with Teleconverter & 70-200 2.8L with Teleconverter.

In regards to budget I would say anything up to about £800, I am happy for it to have a crop sensor as it will eventually be replacing my 7D. I don’t need anything majorly fancy and expensive, just need something that works well with my current glass.

If anyone cold mention some models, so I can start to research them and create a shortlist, it would be much appreciated

Many thanks

There are a lot of different solutions, but the one that comes to mind for you would be either the Canon M or Canon R series; In the Canon M front (APS C sized sensor) I'd suggest checking out the M50 or if budget permits the M6 mark 2 (I've had the M50). Both work seamlessly with Canon EF lens via an adapter - sometimes even faster. good prices too - M50 is around £450 including a new kit lens. The Carnon R are the full frame models - the one for you would be the RP which should just about come around that budget. Full size chip and definitely better quality than the 7D etc. Again, amazing AF etc. You could go down the route of the Panasonic or Sony via metabownes - but I've never been 100 percent happy with the AF speed of different brands.. but I'm sure some will counter this! Just my dimes worth!

This is close to the position I found myself in a few years ago.

I bought a Fuji XT-2 and a small number of their primes which are sharp and tactile, and also minuscule when you're accustomed to L glass. I also got a Fringer Pro 2 adapter and use a EF100L 2.8 IS Macro on it which aside from being a killer macro lens also gives me a 150mm telephoto. I've used a 135 f2 on it as well but I like the IS on the 100mm. The AF works ok, not as good as on the Canon but if I was shooting something that needed fast AF I'd just use the Canon camera, though I tend to manual focus quite a lot no matter what I'm using.

You could get a XT-2 or XH-1 plus a lens and a Fringer for around that budget.

Or you could consider the Canon EOS RP? 2ndhand will be in your budget, add an EF adapter and you're sorted.

There are a lot of different solutions, but the one that comes to mind for you would be either the Canon M or Canon R series; In the Canon M front (APS C sized sensor) I'd suggest checking out the M50 or if budget permits the M6 mark 2 (I've had the M50). Both work seamlessly with Canon EF lens via an adapter - sometimes even faster. good prices too - M50 is around £450 including a new kit lens. The Carnon R are the full frame models - the one for you would be the RP which should just about come around that budget. Full size chip and definitely better quality than the 7D etc. Again, amazing AF etc. You could go down the route of the Panasonic or Sony via metabownes - but I've never been 100 percent happy with the AF speed of different brands.. but I'm sure some will counter this! Just my dimes worth!
This is close to the position I found myself in a few years ago.

I bought a Fuji XT-2 and a small number of their primes which are sharp and tactile, and also minuscule when you're accustomed to L glass. I also got a Fringer Pro 2 adapter and use a EF100L 2.8 IS Macro on it which aside from being a killer macro lens also gives me a 150mm telephoto. I've used a 135 f2 on it as well but I like the IS on the 100mm. The AF works ok, not as good as on the Canon but if I was shooting something that needed fast AF I'd just use the Canon camera, though I tend to manual focus quite a lot no matter what I'm using.

You could get a XT-2 or XH-1 plus a lens and a Fringer for around that budget.

Or you could consider the Canon EOS RP? 2ndhand will be in your budget, add an EF adapter and you're sorted.

Thank you ever so much for the replies have been looking at the Canon ones and they are very reasonably priced, must admit a couple years ago I was dead set against mirrorless, but after seeing what can be achieved with them, the compatibility with existing lens, and making my kitbag lighter, they do seem to be a no brainer.

Due to health and age problems last year I was forced into making a choice of systems ..be it right or wrong I went for Olympus MFT . If you look into it the first thing that you see is the weight ,I have as my main GP set up a omd1-mkii and Panasonic 100-400 it gives = to 800mm full frame reach good close up facility and the camera and lens weigh a total of 1.4 kg ...
if you decide you want macro the 60mm macro will also do in camera focus stacking ,and hand held if required .
do not believe some of the malicious posts flying around it’s good solid well made kit ,worth checking out ..

If you’re keeping your Canon gear; then the M5 is perfect, easy to use, cheap, better IQ than the 7d, the only downside is the native lenses.
If you’re happy with the adaptor (no reason not to be) then just the 22mm (and maybe the 35mm macro) is all you need buy.
Easily within budget.

Due to health and age problems last year I was forced into making a choice of systems ..be it right or wrong I went for Olympus MFT . If you look into it the first thing that you see is the weight ,I have as my main GP set up a omd1-mkii and Panasonic 100-400 it gives = to 800mm full frame reach good close up facility and the camera and lens weigh a total of 1.4 kg ...
if you decide you want macro the 60mm macro will also do in camera focus stacking ,and hand held if required .
do not believe some of the malicious posts flying around it’s good solid well made kit ,worth checking out ..

I am sorry to hear of your poor health & hope that you have more good days than bad, I was born with a neurological condition so am fully aware how things can take their toll, even with hobbies. Thank you for the recommendation I will take a look.

If you’re keeping your Canon gear; then the M5 is perfect, easy to use, cheap, better IQ than the 7d, the only downside is the native lenses.
If you’re happy with the adaptor (no reason not to be) then just the 22mm (and maybe the 35mm macro) is all you need buy.
Easily within budget.

Thanks Phil, I will most definitely be keeping all my Canon gear & while I was originally considering a 7D MKII, it got me thinking about going mirrorless when using crop, so the M5 has already been shortlisted along with the M50 & M6 Mark II in the Canon range.

I am sorry to hear of your poor health & hope that you have more good days than bad, I was born with a neurological condition so am fully aware how things can take their toll, even with hobbies. Thank you for the recommendation I will take a look.

Thanks Phil, I will most definitely be keeping all my Canon gear & while I was originally considering a 7D MKII, it got me thinking about going mirrorless when using crop, so the M5 has already been shortlisted along with the M50 & M6 Mark II in the Canon range.
A s/h M5 is a bargain, I’d be gutted if mine wasn’t grey market. Very capable tittle camera, the depreciation on something that’s rarely used makes second hand the obvious decision.

A s/h M5 is a bargain, I’d be gutted if mine wasn’t grey market. Very capable tittle camera, the depreciation on something that’s rarely used makes second hand the obvious decision.

That is good to know, with the M5, is it capable for say birds in flight when combined with decent glass ?

Not what I shoot, but my gut says not as well as the 7d.

Thanks Phil, must admit that the 7D would take some beating, as it stands the M5 has been shortlisted along with the Full Frame RP, don’t get me wrong I love my 5D MKIII, but that is only going to last x amount of time before it needs a new shutter fitted, so for the cost of the RP, I could well get that. Or possibly get the M5, then if I get hooked on Mirrorless then save for a Full Frame one. I cannot believe how many mirrorless cameras there are with the variation of sensors.
M5 (or M50) with 100-400mm MKII is a killer combination, I sold my 7D and haven't bothered replacing it yet as I enjoy using the M5 that much.

Fishing Tern
by Mike.Pursey, on Flickr

RIAT 2018

Also pretty good with the 100mm L macro as well.

Red Damselfly

Wow Mike those are stunning images, thank you for sharing.

I have seen a M6 MKII on eBay, Mint condition hardly used UK retail boxed, with EVF-DC2, 15-45mm, 22mm, manfrotto bag, for £850 including Next day postage. Must admit I am tempted but might offer him £750.

Back