Which Mac laptop should I get?

Name
Gareth
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi guys. Looking to invest in a new computer. I’m used to the IMac I have so want to keep with Apple but don’t have much knowledge about which laptop is going to be powerful enough.
Am I best going for the MacBook Pro (very expensive) or are the MacBook Air’s up to the processing for Photoshop?
Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

This is what I have, as you say, expensive, but it does the job. I don't use PS, but I do use Capture One and ON1 Photo Raw and it runs them really well.

Hardware Overview:
Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro15
Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 2.8 GHz
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 8 MB
Memory: 16 GB

Have a look at the Mac Mini.

I got the highest i7 processor spec, 16GB of Ram, 512GB SSD for £1699 when it came out.

Been absolutely brilliant for all my picture processing. I added an External 1TB Samsung X5 as my external storage.

Dougie.

I have the top spec MacBook Pro 15" 2015 and it's been doing great for all of my needs. I would recommend 16GB RAM and an i7 where possible

Hi Whippers, just purchased a new MacBook Pro myself last week, I was previously using a 2014 MacBook Air. I totally understand your dilemma as I was in that position too. Apples pricing and spec positioning is a little confusing, In the end I went for the Mac Pro 13" (4 port model) so 10th gen i5, 16gb DDR4 512GB SSD plus better graphics performance. I'm currently working on a photoshop project with over 50 layers and this machine is just about handling that. I checked the activity monitor as PS was using 12 GB RAM. Crazy.

I would say the Air will handle Lightroom well and would probably run photoshop too. Personally I felt like I wanted the performance bump and it was worth while for me to move to the pro.

The reasons I avoided the entry level MacBook Pro was due to it using the 8th gen and slower RAM was just a consideration that this is about the 4th year of a very similar design, with rumours of processors switching and screen size going to 14" in the next edition I didn't want to purchase something with compromise, I want this system to be able to handle anything. My intention is to have this MacBook for around 3 years sell and upgrade again so considering re-sale value on top of performance I pushed the boat out and got the model at £1799.

I don't think you'd make a bad choice going for either the Air or the Pro but would encourage you to avoid the entry level pro.

The build, screen, keyboard, speakers on this thing are excellent. They're really great products just need to get a few dongles/adaptors!

Ive just bought a 16 inch MacBook Pro. Cost over £3k But I need it primarily for 4k video, hence going all out on the specs. Its got 32gb ram, 2.3ghz 8 core i9 processor and a 8gb 5500M graphics card.

I came from a 15 inch 2015 MacBook Pro with the 2.5ghz I7 processor and 16GB ram, and radeon R9.

The 2015 was fine for Lightroom and photoshop, and fine for 1080p video.
Just sold it for £800. Its also got an sd card built in and USB ports, whereas the new one only has USB C ports.

Id try find a used 2015 model MacBook Pro if It was just for PS

Last edited:
Thanks for all the advice so far. Interesting reading. As I’m used to a 27” IMac , the machine I’ve been looking at is the 16” MacBook Pro but the price and spec increase form the 13” is around double. Is it justifiable for the extra performance? Seems a really big jump? I’m looking for something that’s going to serve me for the next say 5 years maybe, so don’t want to regret getting a lower spec machine. The 0% finance option looks appealing too. Does anyone know if you can put a hefty deposit on the finance to keep the monthly payment lower?

ah my apologies, I thought since you were considering the Air that you were looking at the 13" - with the financing I would say the best thing to do would be through apple chat.
I am fully confident that my spec machine would last that length of time so even the base model 16 would do you well.
Always possible to look into eGPU's and external displays.

I read that its best to have your MacBook on charge all of the time, so I'm mostly going to be using it at my desk anyway, I'll be considering my options more seriously in the next few months.
Just throwing it out there to give you more to think about :D

(the charging all of the time point - It doesn't use the battery when 100% so this will reduce my cycle count on the battery when coming to sell, I also read that allowing your battery to go down below 20% also impact how well the battery performs over time)

I have a 2014 MacBook Pro, with only 8GB RAM. I do however have a second 27" monitor which makes editing better. So I would save money by going for the smaller, more portable unit, and look at getting an additional monitor. Plenty out there 22"-24" which are fine...

Thanks for all the advice so far. Interesting reading. As I’m used to a 27” IMac , the machine I’ve been looking at is the 16” MacBook Pro but the price and spec increase form the 13” is around double. Is it justifiable for the extra performance? Seems a really big jump? I’m looking for something that’s going to serve me for the next say 5 years maybe, so don’t want to regret getting a lower spec machine. The 0% finance option looks appealing too. Does anyone know if you can put a hefty deposit on the finance to keep the monthly payment lower?

If you do decide to get a new 16 inch, don’t get it from Apple. Get it from Deecies on eBay. It comes direct from Apple still but is a lot cheaper.
I paid £3099 for mine, where as apple have it listed for £3299.

(the charging all of the time point - It doesn't use the battery when 100% so this will reduce my cycle count on the battery when coming to sell, I also read that allowing your battery to go down below 20% also impact how well the battery performs over time)

Maybe so.....

My old MacBook Pro had twin graphics cards - when you were on mains it used the extra one and (I think) ramped up the processor so it was actually designed to perform better on mains. However after several years of running mostly on mains the battery started to bulge and I read on the Apple site that they don't recommend using mains for that exact reason..................

I bought a second hand Air which runs Lightroom great and when I occasionally use Photoshop on it, it's OK. I mostly run it on battery when I'm at home (it's handy for internet browsing and Zoom meetings anywhere in the house) but when I'm shooting on site I'll go mains all day. When it dies, well it was £300.....

My 2015 MacBook Pro was on charge pretty much 90% of its life and suffered no ill effects. Had just over 400 battery cycles when I sold it last week.
Also the dual graphics Models will use the dual graphics when plugged in or not, makes no odds, if you use a program that needs it, it will switch, same with the cpu boost.

My 2015 MacBook Pro was on charge pretty much 90% of its life and suffered no ill effects. Had just over 400 battery cycles when I sold it last week.
Also the dual graphics Models will use the dual graphics when plugged in or not, makes no odds, if you use a program that needs it, it will switch, same with the cpu boost.

Yeah - mine was way more than 5 years old when it failed :D

I have a 2014 MacBook Pro, with only 8GB RAM. I do however have a second 27" monitor which makes editing better. So I would save money by going for the smaller, more portable unit, and look at getting an additional monitor. Plenty out there 22"-24" which are fine...

Unfortunately the IMac has to go as I no longer have the space for it. I was going down the laptop route so I can use it anywhere in the house (and work occasionally).

Back