Beginner Which mirrorless to go for? Fuji X-T1 or Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mark II

Which Camera?

• Total voters
Yep, the lenses are smaller and lighter on the Olys due to the smaller sensor they have to cover.
m43 lenses are 25% smaller due to the difference in sensor 'ratio' compared to long thin aps-c sensor. The sensor height is similar.

Last edited:
Good choice - it has to be said that those are two of Fuji's smallest lenses you chose. If you could have waited a few more weeks you could have had an XT-10 which is like an X-T1 lite and is a few hundred quid cheaper. That's the dilemma I face as I want something a bit quicker than my X-Pro1.

I gave that serious consideration Andy and constantly swapped between them both. I plumbed for the X-T1 because of the knobs!!!!
I love the idea of all of those controls at my fingertips and not having to navigate menus.
I shoot almost exclusively on manual and this smacked of days gone by with modern technology.
I love the fingertip options and felt the XT-10 steped everso slightly away from that, plus I think it is smaller and the X-T1 is as small as I want to go, any smaller and it would get lost in my banana fingers.

Welcome to the gang. :)
Cheers David, i'm stoked and can't wait to get my hands on it.
I just need a bag now... NEW THREAD!!!!!!! best bag for the X-T1
I have heard the Billingham Hadley Small is a good option, I sport a 445 for the 1Ds MkIII.

Stunning camera! Such a lovely crafted photography tool! Review when you get it please

Hi Nigel, I too was faced with the Fuji vs Olympus debate. In my case the Fuji X100T and the said Olympus OM-D EM5 MKII Silver. Both are stunning cameras and take wonderful pictures and look the dogs danglies in your hand. After extensive research and handling I went for the Oly, it fits just right in my hand. I've only had it a few weeks and am coming to grips with all it has to offer, it came with the kit lens but I am intending to add the 45mm and 60mm Macro lens to compliment it in the next coming week. I will add a fuller review once I have worked out a few more kinks. Good luck with your choice.

Andy, it was a tough choice, they are both excellent cameras.
The deciding factor was the size, the Olly was just too small in my troll sized hands.
However, I am not disappointed with the X-T1, I cannot believe the clarity and quality of image this thing produces.
I am still getting to grips with it and still fall back on the Canon for familiarity, but once i have had a proper play and
a few shoot under my belt, I will let you know what I think.

Nigel

I'm still torn between Fuji x vs Oly MFT system as well. Fuji is more expensive for my needs.

Back