Which Nikon 20mm AF Lens

Name
Jim
Edit My Images
Yes
I've just got a D7100 so now have the option to use some older lenses without the built in motor, though I'd like to have the option of autofocus. So which is better lens for image quality between the AF-S and the AF-D? I'm not really bothered about the low light capabilities of the f1.8 on the af-s, as I've already got the 35mm for that. I'm leaning towards the af-d for reduced size/weight factor but would be interested in somebody's opinion who's used it.

I used the AF-D many years ago but I found the Sigma AF 20mm f1.8 to be a far better lens.
So i went for one of those instead
Im guessing you could pick one up for a good price now Sigma have the ART range out ?

The 20mm AFD used to have a stellar reputation and prices were quite a lot higher than the similar looking 28mm and 24mm lenses of the time. I had an AF version a few years back and then an AFD not longer after and I found both to be very average. Nothing particularly wrong with them but they didn't bowl me over either. I'm also really not a fan of the design of that era of AFD primes. They're plastic but a really cheap feeling shiny plastic. I actually much preferred the older AIS 20mm lenses but I guess being MF, they're no use here. I had a 20mm 1.8g much more recently and really liked that. They're a bit bigger that an AFD but they're still not a big lens and you're gaining more than a stop of light and much nicer AF. The glass seems much better suited to modern sensors too with good resolution and very few, if any bad traits. I guess you're looking at used examples so I assume the 1.8 would cost twice as much? It's easy to spend other people's money but I would say the difference is justified.
Only spanner in the works these days, is that it seems used Sigma art 20mm 1.4's aren't much more expensive than the 1.8g but they're very big and heavy and no native filter thread. Probably not what you're after. @Phiggys suggestion is a good one too.

Thanks for the replies, I'll hold off a while and have a look at a few alternatives before buying. I've got a used kit lens at the moment that is really soft and can't wait to get rid of it - must be a bad copy and it needs replacing. I had one previously that I broke and it was much sharper.

Back