Which Nikon AF film camera

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
I've been wanting a Nikon film camera for some time now (ever since trying out film on a Zenit 11). So I've been looking at the FE and FM series, but then thought to myself I should get something that would also work with my lenses.

I currently have Nikkors 50mm f1.8 and 70-200mm f2.8 with plans to slowly start building up the FX collection. Extremely slowly.

And basically narrowed my choices down to
F75
F100

Which range hugely in price (the F100 being around 7x more expensive here in PL).

So I was hoping to get some feedback on which would be more suited for me, what I would be missing, or what I could expect to benefit from having the F100 over the F75 or vice versa.

My shooting doesn't involve fast action sports or anything that I'd need a high fps. I'm more of a portrait guy (for now) with some landscape and still life interests. I don't abuse my equipment yet it does see a lot of use but with care. I know I shouldn't decide now, but I don't foresee too much flash usage in the future (external or on camera) for film. This wouldn't be for professional usages at this stage in my 'career'.

The higher price of the F100 isn't so much of an issue, just an extra month of waiting, working, and saving. But is it truly worth that extra?

The F100 is the mutts nuts semi pro/pro.

You say why you don't need fast frame rate but not why you need AF...?

The F100 is the mutts nuts semi pro/pro.

You say why you don't need fast frame rate but not why you need AF...?

In case there's a situation where some quick focusing is needed or I just simply want to make use of the AF on a lens. I can always turn it off if I'm feeling for a challenge and want to MF.

The f75 is plastic fantastic compared with an f100, if you're hell bent on doing it on the cheap an f80 I think is a better buy.....I mean they're all better the higher up the range you go but I think the f80 gets you more bang for that extra few quid or so.
saying that, an F90x with motor drive is only £50 in my local cam shop..:shrug:

This is similar to questions posed in the last few days and questions I asked myself. I personally would suggest the F80. It is a cheaper alternative to the F100 but will work with all modern FF lenses and there are lots of them about. I bought a boxed F80 that had only had two films through it for £60 recently.

This link shows the compatibility : http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/compatibility-lens.htm

ja tez bym polecil F90x ;)

( another vote for f90x ;) )

I have both F75 and F100. Both have their good points, neither have that many bad points.

F100 is a solid lump of a camera. Feels like a proper pro bit of kit. Has a really nice shutter /mirror slap and the controls are set out pretty similarly to my D3 so that was why I bought one. Film rewind forks are known to be a weak point in an otherwise solid brick of camera.

F75 is so light! There is literally nothing to it. It was one of, if not the last 35mm consumer camera Nikon made (IIRC the F80 was a rung up from the F75 but was actually a fair bit older so not as advanced) so it has all the technology of the F5 for a fraction of the weight and cost. It is the lightest camera on Nikonians Nikon SLR body comparison chart.
http://www.nikonians.org/html/resources/nikon_articles/body/chart/nikon_body_comparison_chart.html. It is plastic though so don't expect it to last as long as F100 and it's not as fast either (max shutter speed or FPS).

I bought my F75 brand new from Jessops and my F100 from LCE a couple months ago.
The F75 despite it's plastic construction is still in mint condition (and it has been used a lot) and the F100 is in similar nick. I paid just over £100 for the F100 and there were cheaper more tarnished examples available for a good bit less from other resellers.

There's an F4 and F5 on the bay right now, silly prices - well I think so!

No experience of either of those but I had an F90 years ago and as well as being built like the proverbial brick watsit it was a great camera,in addition they are going for around £50 on eBay

I would also look for a F80 was always carried as a back up to my F5 small light and almost silent compared to the F5 inside the church.:)
F90/90x being my all time favourites in AF film body's.

:nikon:

That F5 is sooo ugly.

You're kidding surely? Eye of the beholder though and all that I suppose. :thinking:

I'd say F5, F100 or F90X. I'd go for a quality body every time especially at the prices you can now pick then up for.

I'm not discounting the F4, but it was an early AF camera from Nikon and the AF was a mite slow. It was no big deal for me for weddings, but might be an issue for action stuff. I bought an F90X as backup for the F4 and the AF system was quite a bit quicker.

Had an F75 new a few years back, never really got on with it despite being packed with features. Bit too small, light and pasticky for my big hands.

I now have an F80 and an F100. F80 feels a bit more solid than the F75, and is possibly a bit bigger (but still small compared to the F100). They're a bargain now on ebay - paid £35 for mine with grip, and it's in cracking condition.

The F100 is awesome, but a bit of a lump, especially with a grip. Feels like a pro camera, definitely recommend it if you can afford one.

I can understand looking at the F70 if you have old lenses but the F75 does seem a strange choice considering that more advanced bodies are available for a little more.

http://www.bythom.com/n75.htm shows how the F75 compares to the F80.

For normal use I'd stick with the F80, F100, or F5 depending on what mix of weight and performance you need.

I shoot an F3

stuff AF and frame rates, I'd buy an F5 for that.

F90(x) is nice, my parents have one that I might one day inherit. But I also want (will want) the possibility to use G lenses other than at their max in P (and whatever other mode they can be used at).

There's a dirt cheap F75 on sale here now and F100's pop up semi regularily for roughly the same prices. Guess I'll still give it a few days.

You can use your G lenses in S mode as well Markk. I'm using an F4 at the moment and I'd use that any day of the week over any consumer body to be honest, it just feels good to use.

sorry but what is a G lens ??

A G lens doesn't have an aperture ring and the aperture must be set via the camera control dials. This is obviously a problem with older cameras that assume you have a way of manually setting the aperture on the lens.

Last edited:
And some examples:

The Nikon (Holy) Trinity
14-24mm f2.8
24-70mm f2.8
70-200mm f2.8

All three of those will work in S mode but no VR with the 70-200mm.

Back