Which Nikon Telephoto Prime?

Name
GC
Edit My Images
Yes
Looking for a bit of help/ advice, please.

Will be looking for a new telephoto in the next month or so and have narrowed the choice to the current versions of either the 400mm f/2.8 or 500mm f/4. I'm erring towards the 400mm but do sometimes need some extra reach.

My question is does anyone have experience of using the TC-14E III coupled to the 400mm and how it then compares to the 500mm, mainly AF acquisition and tracking?

I'd mainly be shooting military and aviation stuff on a D850 and a couple of D500's.

Thanks,

GC

Name
Pete
Edit My Images
No
personally as I have a 400 2.8, (& i notice you have the 200-500mm) & use the 1.4 tele all the time - its a damm heavy beast.
If I change it (not planning on it soon though) I'd get the 600mm F4 & use that with a 1.4 - as reach is always never enough... lol

OP
OP
gcgraphs
Name
GC
Edit My Images
Yes
personally as I have a 400 2.8, (& i notice you have the 200-500mm) & use the 1.4 tele all the time - its a damm heavy beast.
If I change it (not planning on it soon though) I'd get the 600mm F4 & use that with a 1.4 - as reach is always never enough... lol
Thanks Pete, I'm most likely going with the 400mm f/2.8 now:)

if you are local to West London you are welcome to try my 400mm.
Thanks for the kind offer but I'm up in the wilds of North Wales!

GC

Name
john
Edit My Images
Yes
I cannot really advise on Nikon lenses as I am a Canon user.
I would say, though, that I would get the focal length that you need rather than relying on extenders.

I used to have a 400 F2.8 and it was an excellent lens but hopelessly short for my (wildlife) needs. These days I use an 800 F5.6, though a 600 F4 is a more versatile compromise.

Try everything you can get your hands on before you decide - these toys are expensive!

OP
OP
gcgraphs
Name
GC
Edit My Images
Yes
Thanks for all the replies.

The EXIF from my 200-500mm f/5.6 shows c400mm is my most used focal length so I'm going to go with the 400mm f/2.8 FL...although I may well add the 500mm f/4 FL sometime down the road. Certainly don't need more than 500mm for the stuff I shoot.

GC