Which Nikon Telephoto Prime?

Name
GC
Edit My Images
Yes
Looking for a bit of help/ advice, please.

Will be looking for a new telephoto in the next month or so and have narrowed the choice to the current versions of either the 400mm f/2.8 or 500mm f/4. I'm erring towards the 400mm but do sometimes need some extra reach.

My question is does anyone have experience of using the TC-14E III coupled to the 400mm and how it then compares to the 500mm, mainly AF acquisition and tracking?

I'd mainly be shooting military and aviation stuff on a D850 and a couple of D500's.

Thanks,

GC

personally as I have a 400 2.8, (& i notice you have the 200-500mm) & use the 1.4 tele all the time - its a damm heavy beast.
If I change it (not planning on it soon though) I'd get the 600mm F4 & use that with a 1.4 - as reach is always never enough... lol

personally as I have a 400 2.8, (& i notice you have the 200-500mm) & use the 1.4 tele all the time - its a damm heavy beast.
If I change it (not planning on it soon though) I'd get the 600mm F4 & use that with a 1.4 - as reach is always never enough... lol

Thanks Pete, I'm most likely going with the 400mm f/2.8 now:)

if you are local to West London you are welcome to try my 400mm.

Thanks for the kind offer but I'm up in the wilds of North Wales!

GC

I cannot really advise on Nikon lenses as I am a Canon user.
I would say, though, that I would get the focal length that you need rather than relying on extenders.

I used to have a 400 F2.8 and it was an excellent lens but hopelessly short for my (wildlife) needs. These days I use an 800 F5.6, though a 600 F4 is a more versatile compromise.

Try everything you can get your hands on before you decide - these toys are expensive!

Thanks for all the replies.

The EXIF from my 200-500mm f/5.6 shows c400mm is my most used focal length so I'm going to go with the 400mm f/2.8 FL...although I may well add the 500mm f/4 FL sometime down the road. Certainly don't need more than 500mm for the stuff I shoot.

GC

Old post I know but @gcgraphs did you get the 400 FL in the end and are you still happy with it?

No! opted for the 500mm f/4 FL after some further thinking and I'm getting on really well with it, If I need circa 400mm I'm more than happy with the 300mm f/2.8 and TC-E 1.4 III converter for the stuff I'm shooting.

GC

No! opted for the 500mm f/4 FL after some further thinking and I'm getting on really well with it, If I need circa 400mm I'm more than happy with the 300mm f/2.8 and TC-E 1.4 III converter for the stuff I'm shooting.

GC
Thank you, I am of same thinking in regards of the 400 with TC-14E III is 560 F4 and had a price that seemed too good to pass on (still serious money but at less than half the retail price I thought it is worth a look and wont loose anything on it if I need to move it on again) they had a 500 FL but it was too well used for my OCD and liking so had to pass on it

Back