Which one?

Name
RJ
Edit My Images
No
Howdy all,

I managed to get myself down to the River Clyde the other day and took a few photographs. I know which photograph was my favourite, the first one below, but I was curious what folks thought of the two photos that follow. They are basically the same shot, but there's a bit more light in the sky in the first, while the second is more blue hour-ish, I guess, as it was taken later on.

Thoughts? I think I'm preferring the second, although I thought the opposite last week...

The favourite:

One?

Or two?

Last edited:

I prefer to like them both as,
I know, that's an easy way out, I can't make up my mind!

I'd say the last one, as the stronger diagonal lines in the water and sky provoke more eye movement around the frame...

I can't make up my mind!

Ok, I made up my mind: NONE!

… but I'm pretty sure that if you render in one take the best of both shots,
it can only be a keeper

I'd say the last one, as the stronger diagonal lines in the water and sky provoke more eye movement around the frame...

Thanks for the feedback, Chris. I too like the lines in the water, which are certainly more prominent in the second one.

I would say one, it is just so much easier to see the finer detail of the building.

Very good point, Paul.

Number one for me RJ :) I like the lighter tones in the sky and the detail in the building and bridge

Yeah, I think I prefer the lighter sky, but I find myself now drawn to the greater contrast between light and dark in the water in the second photo too...

Ok, I made up my mind: NONE!

… but I'm pretty sure that if you render in one take the best of both shots,
it can only be a keeper

Combine both shots? Hmmm... not something I'd ordinarily do, but something I might consider. They're very similar photos, but not exactly the same, so I'm not sure if they line up well for blending.

Good compositions but these IMHO benefit massively from still water reflections.

Thanks for the feedback. :)

Yeah, I can see that, although I do kind of like the texture in the water in these and the shadows too. I'll try to get out again on a stiller night. I'm a bit constrained at the moment though, as I presently only own a 110mm lens, so it might be difficult for me to capture the buildings and their reflections in one exposure. These photographs are as wide as my camera can go for the moment.

Last edited:
Nice set of images RJ, out of them all I prefer the first shot in the set. But out of the last two then my preference would be for #2 with it's higher contrast and more pronounced reflections.(y)

George.

I would say No1 with the proviso that it would have been better if you could have reduced the glare on the lights at the left.

Back