Which Photoguide - Scotland

Name
Doug
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm going up to Edinburgh for a night to see some of the Fringe, then heading back via Glencoe etc with the purpose of taking photos.

There are two books on Amazon that have caught my eye, does anyone have experience of them and know which one might be best?

51LA2djwFaL._SX320_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Photographers-Guide-Scotland-Skye-Trossachs/dp/0992683440/

51bU5gO-GiL._SX346_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Photographing-Scotland-photo-location-visitor-guidebook/dp/0992905176/

Never come across those books. Photographing Scotland is a pricey book, BUT it is nearly 600 pages and the reviews suggest it is first rate. If your trip is going to be a very short one that book could be overkill (probably still worth the money to enjoy reading).

I own neither by Dougie Cunninghams work is always good from what I've seen so go for it

ETA I'm only in my phone and some of the shots on the cover of the first one don't look quite right, and would be enough to put me off...

Last edited:
Photographing scotland was actually offer for pre-booking on this forum. So i got a discounted copy at the time. It's good but even if it's big 600 pages to covers all of scotland including the isles makes for a very generic book. A few pages per location a few hundred location. it's nice to look through but i haven't actually properly read it!

I used the first book last year when I was around Glencoe and found the info to be pretty accurate regarding points of view ,best times of day and parking details etc .
I’ve got the second book also but not used it for a trip,yet but it’s worth the price just for all the info and photos in it.

Ive got several of the second books in the series and they are all brilliant books

I am inclined towards both of these books from the comments on this thread and if you want to buy one, go for it.

However, without any suggestions for shots you will be impressed by Glencoe. Go, take photos and, more importantly in my opinion, just enjoy one of the best landscapes you will find anywhere.

Dave

Defo a shout for the second book from me! If you are coming up to Edinburgh just for a night... Then heading back via Glencoe... I take it you plan on staying a night in Fort William?

Defo a shout for the second book from me! If you are coming up to Edinburgh just for a night... Then heading back via Glencoe... I take it you plan on staying a night in Fort William?

We are indeed.

We've got a few places we like to stay and eat around there as we've done the West Highland Way and Ben Nevis so the town is a symbol of being exhausted for us :)

Thank you for the feedback, I've bought a copy of the second book; Photographing Scotland.

Back