Which pocketable camera?

What does XT30 give you that A6400 doesn't?
If you simply want to swap that's fair enough.
I'm really liking the colours coming out of the Fuji (and the Ricoh).
Plus the Fuji offers (slightly) shorter lens options.
I think I'll pop into my local LCE and check one out in person against my A6400 (they have a couple of used options too).

Last edited:
For me the biggest thing to get over with the X100f I have is the focus even for the pictures I take (still or slow moving.) The X100f focus is for me obviously lacking compared to any other camera I've had in the digital age except my first digital camera, the Fuji S602 pro zoom. If people can live with/cope with that then they are nice cameras.
The autofocus on the X100V is better than the previous generation, such as your X100F, and my X-T2, although it still isn't up to Sony/Canon levels.
Thanks to everyone for your replies.
I think I need to go and see the X100 in person to check it's size.
I'm also working through the other suggestions which I really appreciate.
I don't know if Fuji still have them on the free 48 hour loans, borrowed one, and fell in love with it.
You can check the X100's size relative to other cameras with the camera comparison thingy...

Nothing beats handling the kit but the "thingy" will maybe help you a bit.
This is what really convinced me to look at the X100V, because the sensor plane is so far back in the camera the lens doesn't protrude as much, making for a more compact body.
Thanks all.

Been watching some YouTube vids this eve and also looked at that comparison site.

I didn't realise the X100 is pretty much the same as the A6400 (minus lens) so as mentioned, other than in a jacket it's not really a pocketable option...

I like the look of the GRiii, but it's not got a tilting screen (appreciate I didn't mention this as a need but realising it hasn't got it has made me think I do want it).

I've had an RX100V and traded that in for the A6400 because I wanted something less "point and shoot" feeling so I do wonder if I'd feel the same about it too...

I appreciate I'm probably setting myself up with an impossible task here and think I may have to change my priorities. Maybe I need to accept less pocketable (but not SLR size)...

Just saw a vid of the XT30 which seems to offer a lot of the X100 features too; but with the freedom of different lenses. I could get a 27mm pancake and then go longer if I decided I wanted to later...
The freedom comes at a cost though - size. As you can see from my signature, I have covered both bases by having an X100V and an interchangeable lens Fuji set up. The X100V gets used most, but I wouldn't have it as my only camera.

I’ve just sprung for an R8 with an RF 28 and could not be happier

Dave

I'm really liking the colours coming out of the Fuji (and the Ricoh).
Plus the Fuji offers (slightly) shorter lens options.
I think I'll pop into my local LCE and check one out in person against my A6400 (they have a couple of used options too).

If it you are going down the ILC route also consider the A7c. You have a number of small lens options
Samyang or Sony 24mm f2.8 or sigma 24mm f3.5
Sony or samyang 35mm f2.8
Sony 40mm f2.5
Sigma 45mm f2.8
Sony 50mm f2.5
Sony 28-60mm f4-5.6

Some are more expensive than others but they are really good lenses (samyang 24mm f2.8 being the weakest)
As I said before A7C is no more expensive than X100V and you'll have some spare change for a lens too.

When you go to the shops it's worth a trial I think even if you go the other way :)

Last edited:
like the look of the GRiii, but it's not got a tilting screen (appreciate I didn't mention this as a need but realising it hasn't got it has made me think I do want it).
For street/travel, I was so used to holding my camera down at waist level, in close, looking down at the tilted up screen. Then I got a GR3X and changed my shooting method slightly. It's so small and light, definitely a one-handed camera, attached to the wrist but away from the body more, above my head or down near ground level. But I do end up with more portrait orientation pics than before, sometimes cropping to square for the web.

OK so after spending quite a bit of time in store, I picked up a used low shutter count X-T30ii.
I've also just ordered the TTartisan 27mm F2.8.
So whilst I've not got a truly pocketable solution I'm looking forward to learning my way around it! Thanks all for your advice and info!

Last edited:
As an aside on pocketability of the Fuji X100x cameras, I use this "flat" JJC lens hood on my x100s, similar in design to some of those used with the Nikon 1 lenses. This makes it far more pocket friendly, while also protecting the lens when slipped into a jacket pocket.

I've just ordered the old much maligned Sony 16mm pancake for an NEX 5N I .. found in a drawer. It's already tiny with my Zeiss 35mm 2.8 but this should be truly pocketable.

Yes, it's old, but see how it fares.
Didn't bother with the 16-50 as it zaps battery life on an already limited camera.

Hoping it's a nice "I don't care if I scratch it etc" camera when the A7C doesn't need to come with me.

I've just ordered the old much maligned Sony 16mm pancake for an NEX 5N I .. found in a drawer. It's already tiny with my Zeiss 35mm 2.8 but this should be truly pocketable.

Yes, it's old, but see how it fares.
Didn't bother with the 16-50 as it zaps battery life on an already limited camera.

Hoping it's a nice "I don't care if I scratch it etc" camera when the A7C doesn't need to come with me.

I wouldn't worry about a lens being maligned as sometimes maligned things can be quite interesting. I have some maligned kit which just happens to be some of my favourite bits of kit.

Well the first 16mm arrived and totally disappointed me, but I returned it and luck had 1 appear in Oxfam for £60 .. works great

The one from CEX had serious focus issues, could only get a sharp picture using manual focus.

Anyway, it squeezes into my jeans pocket
Got a mate to 3D print a flash bounce
Sorted

Attachments

• 1000018829.jpg
    1000018829.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 1000018831.jpg
    1000018831.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 10
Back