Which scares you the most

I don't believe corruption is any worse than it's ever been, it's just got more difficult for them to hide it.

Mainly because they're so dumb they tweet (other social meeja platforms are available) about it...

We live in a first world country and a leader in bio-medical science at that, no way would an unsafe vaccine but rushed out. There is a huge difference between a vaccine that might not be terribly effective and one that is medically unsafe.

I wonder just how many people actually do think Trident is of any value. I certainly don't (I'd rather survive under Putin than the planet be nuked), whereas I do think there is value to the UK in having a relatively well-funded conventional peacekeeping/intervention military force such as was needed in Falklands/Sierra Leone/Balkans; along the lines of France, without the nuclear bit.
Being a nuclear power gets us a permanent seat on the UN Security Council and all the influence that flows from that. Buying nukes from the U.S. gets us the "special relationship". I think it's far more about diplomatic influence than it is about defence.

After one on my work mates with no-underling condition caught Covid and died within a 3 week period, the virus is really scary.

Good point Chris, I hadn't considered that aspect. Whether it is worth the cost though...

So how often will we have to be vaccinated, if catching the disease doesn't give you long term immunity how
long will the vaccine last ?

So how often will we have to be vaccinated, if catching the disease doesn't give you long term immunity how
long will the vaccine last ?
Possibly twice a year, at worst. Likely it will vary between individuals.

Presumably the drug companies / NHS will advise people about possible side effects of any vaccine? Given that is the case, when you read about the possible side effects of the many life saving drug treatments that lots of people over the age of 60 are routinely taking I don't feel particularly worried about having the COVID-19 vaccine, to me the illness sounds far worse.

Possible and maybe just about sums the whole fiasco up doesn't it
No, it doesn't. I don't have data in front of me, I'm not party to trial results, not have I got access to the best epidemiology information. But the teams coordinating the trials and approving the vaccines will have, and there will be minimal guesswork when they are generally released.

I'm guessing as a qualified immunologist who spent part of my career in virology FWIW. I trust the people designing and testing the vaccines, and I'm confident they will be a part of the way out of the present situation.

When Stalin was in charge, and all the time it was the Soviet Unuion, I wanted there to be Polaris (then Trident); but now, I stand by my view. Naturally in the past things were different. I just don't believe we need to play those nuclear games any more at the strategic level. I do however think there is a place for tactical, battlefield, nukes as a way of dealing with potential aggressors.

The US had one chance. It was at the same time they dropped the bombs in Japan. They only needed one small one and very soon after that it was way too late. Somehow, unexplainably the world didn't quite believe that communists are just the same evil as nazis. What a shame.

I am more scared of the vaccine.

As it stand the in-laws have not been over since before March. No plans for them to be over at Christmas either. Now if a vaccine was rolled out quickly, they would be over here - would rather take my chances with Covid ;)

• Haha
Reactions: Sky
Possibly twice a year, at worst. Likely it will vary between individuals.

Do you have any scientific papers or other publications to back this up please? It's just a bombshell admission and a game-changer that will make anyone still on the borderline think very very hard.

Do you have any scientific papers or other publications to back this up please? It's just a bombshell admission and a game-changer that will make anyone still on the borderline think very very hard.

Purely guesswork based on the small amount of data suggesting that *detectable* covid immunity fades fairly rapidly, plus the very very few reports of demonstrable re-infection. My expectation is that most individuals will enjoy several years of immunity from vaccination, but a small minority may require regular boosters. OTOH if the vaccine is rolled out rapidly to the vast majority of the population then boosters will be un-necessay because herd immunity will take care of it.

That would be about the time that Churchill was using chemical weapons on the Bolsheviks and Kurds, and was using the Royal Navy to shell Dublin.
It is never a good idea to keep going back in time a hundred years, because no country comes out of it looking good.

And yet you did it. Well done there. Happy now?

I'm amazed but not too surprise that in the USA the Trump era vaccine is dangerous and distribution must be stopped until Biden can distribute it safely.

I paraphrase but I think that's the gist. Could YOU make better stuff up?

The virus or a rushed vaccine

I don't wish this to sound stupid or arrogant, but if I'm honest neither

Same with Cancer really - pretty much everyone a generation older in my family has died of some form of Cancer, though some recovered from it for a time, so we're all kinda meh

One day at a time, something will kill us soon enough

Dave

I'm amazed but not too surprise that in the USA the Trump era vaccine is dangerous and distribution must be stopped until Biden can distribute it safely.

I paraphrase but I think that's the gist. Could YOU make better stuff up?
I can make up much better stuff than whoever made that up.

No vaccine is going to be distributed in the US (or UK) until the phase 3 trials are complete, and the vaccine candidate has been approved by the usual regulatory authorities. Nobody is witholding a vaccine to make Biden look good. The Pfizer vaccine candidate was developed by a German biotech company without US government involvement (which hasn't stopped the Trump administration trying to claim credit for it). The companies developing vaccines in the US are moving as fast as they can, but their trials aren't complete either. 2021 was always the realistic target for widespread distribution, unless (like China) you are prepared to dish out large numbers of doses before you've finished the trials.

I will go with the offered vaccine.

However what we do not yet know, is which of the many potential vaccines is best for any particular group of people.
Some will work better for some groups of people than for others.
these are things we are unlikely to know, for certain, for a number of years yet

It is only recently that the older people, like my self (85), have been given a more targeted Flue vaccine, One that is more suitable for the compromised immune systems of the elderly.

The same will almost certainly be true of Covid vaccines.

In the mean time, some immunity is undoubtedly better than none.

The vaccine, I believe I had covid just before the lock down it did knock me about for a few days but came as no surprise I had the cough for 5 weeks after wards , I'm a key worker and have been exposed to contact with that many people daily you wouldn't believe it with no protection and no difference to my job other than the work load became three fold. I work in an extremely dangerous sector and in the past used to be a biker so I know at any second you could be snubbed out. I've lost a lot more friends due to stupidity ( theirs and others) than illness of any type. Life is dangerous and you will never get out of it alive. Better to have a great short live than a long miserable one.

Back