Beginner Which starter camera?

Name
Michael
Edit My Images
Yes
My son is 15 and wants to experiment with photography, particularly the natural world, beyond the confines of his mobile phone. But it's a bit of a minefield knowing what sort of camera and lenses, etc. would be most suitable - and what price range to look at - for someone just starting out. Can anyone help?
Likewise, could anyone recommend any beginners photography courses?

Lots to consider, what sort of natural world, birds etc or our beautiful landscapes.

A DSLR will always give a bit more control than a bridge camera.
More often than not the right camera is the one that feels most comfortable in their hands. Don't be afraid to start with used equipment at the cheaper end, let him find the limits of what you buy with the clear understanding that once he finds those limits you will look at ways to address them

The Panasonic FZ1000 would be a great camera. IT's a bridge, mirrorless that feels like a DSLR. I have just taken it down from the classifieds because it has a bid on ebay, Still time to get a bargain if you're quick. ;) Both my son and I now have it's slightly bigger sister FZ2500. Like the FZ1000 they are great all rounders, and are great cameras to learn on as my son have. Sony also makes a similar camera think it's called the RX10 series but are a bit more expensive.

Last edited:
As he's only dipping a toe in the water at the moment I would suggest a high zoom compact.
I have a Lumix TZ90. Its got a massive zoom range. Lots of different, customisable, modes and settings. Also does macro.
Bonus is it will fit in his pocket.
About £250.

As he's only dipping a toe in the water at the moment I would suggest a high zoom compact.
I have a Lumix TZ90. Its got a massive zoom range. Lots of different, customisable, modes and settings. Also does macro.
Bonus is it will fit in his pocket.
About £250.
I have this exact camera when I want to go out and shoot and not lug all my DSLR equipment around with me. I find it absolutely fantastic for the money.

My son is 15 and wants to experiment with photography, particularly the natural world, beyond the confines of his mobile phone. But it's a bit of a minefield knowing what sort of camera and lenses, etc. would be most suitable - and what price range to look at - for someone just starting out. Can anyone help?
Likewise, could anyone recommend any beginners photography courses?
Hi Howie, have a look at EOS 90D.

Please could someone recommend a good starter camera that you can buy 2nd hand for around £100. My cousin has really been struggling over lockdown, she basically got bullied by her school friends the entire time. Was thinking of getting her a camera for an early Christmas present but £100 is the most I'd like to pay. She's 14 years old. Thanks for any help!

Please could someone recommend a good starter camera that you can buy 2nd hand for around £100. My cousin has really been struggling over lockdown, she basically got bullied by her school friends the entire time. Was thinking of getting her a camera for an early Christmas present but £100 is the most I'd like to pay. She's 14 years old. Thanks for any help!

What does she want to do?
My recommendation would be a second hand TZ90.
If she needs a point and shoot there may be members who have one to contribute. I have a DCM TZ40 if I can find it.

RichW, it's a bit out of date but a Fuji Finepix S9600 gives lovely pictures, costs £50 or so used and also has all the controls and settings a dslr would have if she wants to learn more. Would be a GREAT choice, I was recomnded it by a serious world class big name tog a decade ago!

Last edited:
Awesome thanks guys!

What does she want to do?
My recommendation would be a second hand TZ90.
If she needs a point and shoot there may be members who have one to contribute. I have a DCM TZ40 if I can find it.

Hi Cockney, I think I'm looking for a camera where she can adjust all the settings to get a feel for what each setting does, and at the same time get some good quality photos. At present she is just using her phone camera so not really learning anything. I'm not familiar with the DCM TZ40 but many thanks for the offer, if you find it perhaps we can sort something out between us via PM.

RichW, it's a bit out of date but a Fuji Finepix S9600 gives lovely pictures, costs £50 or so used and also has all the controls and settings a dslr would have if she wants to learn more. Would be a GREAT choice, I was recomnded it by a serious world class big name tog a decade ago!

Thanks for that advice dweebie, appreciated, I'll take a look at that camera and see if would also be suitable.

There are some great deals on older digital SLR cameras and lenses which should be sufficient to see if the seed sown germinates. Then newer / better cameras and lenses can be sought to upgrade with the old ones being sold on.

Whilst the market is moving away from digital SLR's to mirrorless, there is a lot of life left in dSLR kit.

keep it simple and not so technical to start with
he will want to change later i would imagine when he cuts his teeth
a bridge camera is light and flexible
decide on a decent model...then see if you can get it s/h from someone who couldnt wait to "step up a gear"
get confident on photography and not camera tech
cheers
Toady

I started out with a used Nikon D3200 with kit lens for £130 and a magazine from a well known high street newsagents ' Nikon - beginner's handbook'. I was great fun learning my camera and its and mine limitations. Did everything I needed and far more, since then I have added more used lenses and tripod, again all for a reasonable outlay. This seemed IMHO to be a good start to establishing what I wanted and how I was going to use my equipment. I also discovered that this camera seems to be well used in courses, and articles for beginners.

I started out with a used Nikon D3200 with kit lens for £130 and a magazine from a well known high street newsagents ' Nikon - beginner's handbook'. I was great fun learning my camera and its and mine limitations. Did everything I needed and far more, since then I have added more used lenses and tripod, again all for a reasonable outlay. This seemed IMHO to be a good start to establishing what I wanted and how I was going to use my equipment. I also discovered that this camera seems to be well used in courses, and articles for beginners.
Yeah, I'd go with a used entry level DSLR a couple of generations old - Nikon D3200 (or canon equivalent) etc. with a standard 18-55 kit lens.

Or for not very much more the D300 would be perfect, controls to hand rather than in menus thus ideal for experimenting and learning.

Or Brand new with 3 yrs Warranty :-
Olympus E-M10 III Twin Kit (14-42 EZ)(40-150) Silver

even Mirrorless with 3 yrs warranty.

Back