Beginner Which zoom lens to buy?

Name
Esther
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,
I'm after some advice on lenses, I've got a Nikon D5300 which came with the standard kit lens (18-55mm).

I bought it mainly to take candid photos of the kids, dogs and scenery but I'm finding that it doesn't zoom in close enough so I have to crop loads off and lose the quality.

I am very new to all this and trying to learn as much I can online so I don't buy the wrong one but getting very bogged down with all the technical speak and hoped somebody could explain the numbers and letters relating to lenses simply and maybe point me to a decent lens for around £200.

I'd read on here about a 70-300mm lens so had a quick google and the prices varied from £80 to over £1000 and I have no idea why there's such a huge difference in price and worry that my £200 will buy a rubbish quality one that ends up never being used and I can't afford to make a bad choice.

Thanks in advance for any help.

How about 18-135mm, that should be in your price range. I think it's important you get wide angle on it too of you'll shoot at home, so don't loose your 18mm. There's Sigma 18-250mm (newest model is HSM Macro) that I used, but for me it wasn't what I needed because I didn't need focal distance longer than 80mm. If you want it for sceneries too, you'll probably need over 80mm. At such zoom ranges your photos will be softer, but closing aperture a bit should help that. You can buy it for under £200 and then sell it for similar price of its not what you're after. But it will help you figure out the lengths you require. You might even keep it! It's a well-made lens and great for the price. It was made specifically for cropped sensor.

Thanks for the advice, they're both decently priced too.
I was reading the other day about how they don't class zooms nowadays as 2x, 3x etc so I find it hard to understand how much 'closer' you can get with the various lenses.

The other night I went to photograph local deer and was about 40ft from them, it was about 7pm but a clear sky and a good amount of light but at full zoom on my kit lens they were very grainy and not a great deal closer than where I was standing.

I understand that you inevitably lose some quality especially enlarged or zoomed in on the laptop but I'd like them to look clear to the naked eye.

You might be better with a 55 or 70 to 300 in that case, but you have to make sure the lens has a motor for autofocus and is designed for your camera.

The 55 - 200 is suitable. Your camera does not have a motor in it for focusing.

I would second a 55/70mm to 200/300mm lens. There are a few options in this range, I've personally used a 70-200mm af-s VR lens as my first wildlife lens. It was a great focal length range, perfect for most wildlife unless small birds is your thing. You can pick one up second hand for around £200. Being a lens suitable for crop (Dix) and full frame (fx) it's very good on a crop body like a D5300 as the camera is only using the centre part of the lens.

The lens full name is nikon AF-S 70-300mm f4.5-5.6 G IF ED. there are two second hand ones on MPB, it's £264 which over your budget but you could likely buy it off someone on here when you get classifieds access, it would be closer to £200 but you of course wouldn't get warranty.

https://www.mpb.com/en-uk/used-equi...f-s-70-300mm-f-4-5-5-6-g-if-ed-vr/sku-613498/

The 55-200mm and 55-300mm are also worth thinking about, I don't have any personnel experience so can't comment on them. MPB have a few of these available, the 55-200 vr2 I gather is better than the 55-200 vr1 so probably worth the extra.

I often photographed deer with the 70-300 when I had it. A couple of deer images can be seen below.

Time for a drink- Red Deer at Woburn Deer Park D7K_5356 by -Rob'81-

Woburn Red Deer Grazing_D7K6014 by -Rob'81-

Last edited:
You might be better with a 55 or 70 to 300 in that case, but you have to make sure the lens has a motor for autofocus and is designed for your camera.

The 55 - 200 is suitable. Your camera does not have a motor in it for focusing.
This is very important for you as your camera doesn't have an auto focus motor in the camera so you will need one in the lens. It's designated by the lettering AF-S in the lens name. The guide below gives a bit more information.

https://www.graysofwestminster.co.uk/glossary/af_designations.php

Whichever you decide to go with pop back on here before purchasing as someone will likely be available to ensure its a lens that will work for you and is a good price so you are not paying over the odds for it.

Screenshot_20160413-200651_zpsfbtk7rhw.png

Would this be suitable? (It's a screenshot as I couldn't figure out how to link to the Currys Web page)
It's £252.

Screenshot_20160413-200651_zpsfbtk7rhw.png

Would this be suitable? (It's a screenshot as I couldn't figure out how to link to the Currys Web page)
It's £252.
It would work fine with your camera, I can't say how good it is as I've not used one but it should be fine your requirements. It may be better to get it from John Lewis as it's currently the same price as curry's plus you get 2 years JL warranty along with JL's better customer service.

http://www.johnlewis.com/nikon-dx-5...3_1460576219_420677ed33c7b0892e1eeafd55809af3

This review seems think it's ok. It's noted to not be as good as the 70-300 but better than the 55-200.

https://photographylife.com/reviews/nikon-55-300mm-vr

Would you be happy purchasing a second hand lens? I'm asking as you can get more for your money that way. I personally haven't bought any camera equipment new for several years as you can find very good condition second hand equipment. Many camera stores have second hand lenses for sale and usually include a warranty. Places like WEX, MPB, ffordes, London camera exchange are worth checking out if you are happy with second hand lenses/cameras.

Thanks for looking into it for me, I don't mind second hand but I do like to have a reliable warranty, I've recently returned to work part time after maternity leave so money will be a bit tight for the next couple of years and I can't afford to replace it if something goes wrong.

I was reading the other day about how they don't class zooms nowadays as 2x, 3x etc so I find it hard to understand how much 'closer' you can get with the various lenses.

I'll pick up on this.
When manufacturers put 2x / 3x / 5x etc on the zoom it is and always has been completely meaningless in helping you understand how much closer you can get.
All it is telling you is what multiplication of the widest focal length the camera lens can achieve, it doesn't have any bearing in what you actually see.

Take two 10x zoom compact cameras. One has a lens with a 35mm equivalent of 24-240mm, the other has a lens with a 36-360mm equivalent lens. Both are still a 10x zoom and will be marketed as such, but the second will get you 'closer' but sacrifices how far you can 'zoom out'.

Nikon have helpfully put a lens focal length simulator on their website.
http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/lens/simulator/
Pop your camera and current lens in the simulator to start with (remember to select DX, it defaults to FX) and then change the lens to ones you are looking at.

Might help...

https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/buying-from-hdew-panamoz.614067/
Thanks for looking into it for me, I don't mind second hand but I do like to have a reliable warranty, I've recently returned to work part time after maternity leave so money will be a bit tight for the next couple of years and I can't afford to replace it if something goes wrong.
If reliable warranty is definitely what you want John Lewis are probably the best bet for a UK sourced brand new lens (2 years, I think Nikon only offer 1year but I could be wrong). Second hand is ok but the warranties are normally 3-6 months depending where you purchase from. There is of course grey imports too (non Nikon uk sourced lenses which are usually cheaper as its likely import duty or VAT hasn't been paid). Places like HDEW or Panamoz often get recommended on here. HDEW do this lens for £189. If you go down this route then ask for VAT receipt from HDEW as they do supply them. It a personal decision but it's best to know all of your options.

Before this gets into another grey imports debate there are threads on here that explain what it is and why. It seems to more of a moral issue than anything. A few of the most recent threads are below (most seem to go the same way each time they pop up every few months).

https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/grey-imports-vs-genuine-stock.289147/

https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/buying-from-hdew-panamoz.614067/

Last edited:
Thanks for explaining that Richard, the link is very useful too.

Rob I think I'll go with John Lewis, the extra £60 is worth it for 2 years peace of mind.

I ordered the 55-300 yesterday and am picking it up tomorrow afternoon, is it suitable to be kept in the camera all the time or would I need to swap it back for the kit lens for snap shot type photos where the subject is within say 6ft of me? ie kids on the beach.

Have a play and you'll see what you prefer . 6ft is fine for the 55 . Pros will often have two camera for this problem so there's one for u to think about - lol

Haha, I'm now officially skint after buying the camera and one lens so a second camera requires a lottery win.

I picked the new lens up yesterday and think I will be needing to switch between the two because the 55-300 won't focus if the subject is close, we're building a new shed today and I wanted to take some before and after shots but I had to stand at the other end of the garden to get the width in.

I'm really pleased with the Zoom though, I now know that the people who live in the house behind me have a toy tiger on their window sill

Back