Buying from HDEW & Panamoz

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm just about to purchase a 7D2, and was looking at John Lewis, they are a similar price to the general photographic retailers (£1179) and they give you a 2 year warranty.

However, both HDEW & Panamoz are much better than that, like £300 less. Having never bought a camera from one of these outfits I'd welcome some advice. Are they UK cameras and if a fault occurs, what's the warrant procedure ?

Cheers,
Steve

They're exactly the same as UK cameras! Yes, the warranty is with the supplier.

They are made in the same factory irrespective of whether you buy grey or from the UK. For both, the warranty is with the retailer as that is the place you took out the purchase contract with. The bit you have to consider is the fact you are 'avoiding' tax. Not sure avoiding or evading tax is the correct terminology and in saying that I've opened up a bucket of worms lol

BTW, I've bought from Panamoz without regret!

They are Grey Imports with both of these companies, but both offer excellent customer service. HDEW is UK based and you can speak to them on the phone. Panamoz is HK based and via EMail. I have bought most of my stuff of these two companies. When my D750 arrived from Panamoz it had a faulty port for a wired remote. Sent it back to HK and a new one was back to me the same week. A lot of people on this forum buy from both.

They are Grey Imports with both of these companies, but both offer excellent customer service. HDEW is UK based and you can speak to them on the phone. Panamoz is HK based and via EMail. I have bought most of my stuff of these two companies. When my D750 arrived from Panamoz it had a faulty port for a wired remote. Sent it back to HK and a new one was back to me the same week. A lot of people on this forum buy from both.
+1 for HDEW & Panamoz - I've purchased equipment from both and their product and service is superb. I've never had cause to return anything but know people who have had a problem and have been very impressed with their after sales.

Can`t ignore the prices of the grey imports. Have used Panamoz a few times now and always delivered within a few days. As above, I`ve not had any issues with kit but feel pretty confident after reading how they have sorted faults out.

I'm just about to purchase a 7D2, and was looking at John Lewis, they are a similar price to the general photographic retailers (£1179) and they give you a 2 year warranty.

However, both HDEW & Panamoz are much better than that, like £300 less. Having never bought a camera from one of these outfits I'd welcome some advice. Are they UK cameras and if a fault occurs, what's the warrant procedure ?

Cheers,
Steve

Hi Steve - it's a difficult choice - from the 2 you mention, personally I would buy from HDEW - is in the UK and you can phone and speak to them (still an import though) and they get a good following.

With regards to JL, then it's peace of mind, they have excellent customer service in my opinion / from personal experience, don't forget they will price match (not to imports), so well worth looking around to see if anyone has an offer on...

Here's a good site to check out http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/Canon/Canon-Digital-SLRs/Canon-EOS-7D-Mark-II-Camera-Body

Shows Digital Depot are £110 cheaper and as they have a shop, which you can physically buy in and they are UK stock etc, JL would probably price match - worth an ask if nothing else...

Good luck and enjoy your new toy when you get one :)

My d750 is from panamoz and we recently bought my daughter a D3300 for Xmas but went with JL for that as they offered a £30 I think it was instant replacement cover for fault or damage. The lower stuff isn't any cheaper from hk I found anyway.

Never had a problem with them, you save a lot of money for the same thing, depending on what your looking for, hdew very good and UK based

Last edited:
OK, thanks all for your input. I will have another think today, and I'm tending to swing towards HDEW as at least they are UK based.

HDEW will give you a VAT receipt (on request) so really they are the ones to go to.

One 5D came from them and it looked like EU spec model, not Asian market re-import so perfectly happy with them

Recently bought a camera body & lens from Panamoz, SUPERB to deal with. It took four days to arrive, comes with a standard 3yr warranty and free post. Hassle free purchase and would use them again without any thought.

:)

Bought a D7200 from HDEW - came with a UK instruction manual and UK plug.

Took less than a week to arrive - would happily order from HDEW again in future, Panamoz also.

Got my Canon 6D from HDEW last year,great service.:)

I prefer just women.:banana::banana::D:p

I stuck to my guns and bought one from John Lewis yesterday. It was that peace of mind thing, and knowing I had a UK body. I may well use them for the odd lens or two though...

I've not heard a bad word about Panamoz, and I've bought lenses from them in the last year or two. Their office is local to me, which gives me added confidence.

Funny enough I have just got off the phone with Paul from HDEW.... there is a nice new D7200 winging its way to me on Friday :)

Just bought a 35mm 1.4 from Panamoz. Have used them and Hdew a few times in the past with no issue. If something went wrong and I couldn't get it sorted I would moan (a lot) but ultimately take it on the chin as I have had more than my fair share worth of saving in the past. If that makes sense. The chance of something going wrong is remote enough it is worth the risk in my eyes.

Their office is local to me, which gives me added confidence.

I thought they were Hong Kong based.

(unless they have a serviced/virtual office, which wouldn't make any difference to confidence?)

I thought they were Hong Kong based.

(unless they have a serviced/virtual office, which wouldn't make any difference to confidence?)
No they are u.k based and the goods are via/from EEC countries ,and they have a shop down south

oops read to quickly i was referring to HDEW :oops: :$:oops: :$

Am i right in thinking of any problems warranty wise with HDEW you send the camera to them and they get it sorted where as with Panamoz you send it direct to an independent repairer and they reimburse you the cost?
Looking at spending a fair bit with one of them the coming weeks and they both offer 3 years and their prices aren't far off so just coming down to who would be easier if ever I had a fault.

Am i right in thinking of any problems warranty wise with HDEW you send the camera to them and they get it sorted where as with Panamoz you send it direct to an independent repairer and they reimburse you the cost?
Looking at spending a fair bit with one of them the coming weeks and they both offer 3 years and their prices aren't far off so just coming down to who would be easier if ever I had a fault.
Give them a ring and ask the question, I did with HDEW before parting with my hard earned. Paul seemed like a nice guy and their warranty is 3 years :)

After reading all the positive comments here, and receiving helpful and prompt replies from them to my emails, I ordered a 5D Mk3 with Canon battery grip, spare batteries and a couple of memory cards from Panamoz today. I'll post back on receipt.

Do HDEW take care of import charges VAT ect DigiRev say they do.

Rob.

Rob.

HDEW ship it to their place in the UK and then ship it onwards FROM the UK so there are no import duties (or at least its heading to them if there are), this is why I believe it takes a little longer to receive from HDEW. For example I bought my EM1 from Panamoz, ordered it Friday and I think it turned up Monday. I ordered an EM5ii from HDEW on Friday and it is still showing as "now processing". However, it's a small price to pay considering the savings.

edit: or at least I thought that's what HDEW, there used to be a little infographic on their website but having just checked I can't see it.

Last edited:

....I bought my Canon 7D2 from Park Cameras and 100-400mm L II from HDEW. I dropped them (indoors) and they needed repair but it was my fault (admitted) and so not under warranty (my insurance paid).

Park were slow and offered no reassurance or information. HDEW put me in direct contact with their usual warranty repairer (A.J.Johnson, Canon approved) and were exemplary. I moved my body repair to A.J.Johnson.

Have since bought other gear from HDEW and shan't be using Park again! Especially as they charged me twice for my 7D2 original purchase and have misinformed me on several occasions. Wex is a good supplier with good service.

Rob.

Still on HDEW website under 'Term and Conditions'
Please note that by making a purchase on this website you will be acting as the importer of the product for all purposes including all customs regulations,copyright and trademark laws.You accept that the role of HDEW Cameras is limited to sourcing products and making them available for you to import directly from the country of origin.By purchasing a product through this website you authorise us to make arrangements for clearance of customs on your behalf for the products you have ordered.

So I see absolutely no difference than with any other 'grey' importer, even though they have a presence in the UK.

Back