White balance in Canon DPP raw conversion

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi :)
What is the best way of getting the white balance correct in DPP on raw conversion with shots taken under difficult lighting like shade?
With my 40D a lot of the time shots in shade have a blue cast to them the 550D is better though
When I set the white balance in DPP on a raw I zoom in to 200% and find a white or grey area on the shot and click in it using the white balance eye dropper this always gets it spot on but sometimes there is not any white pixels in the shot and I then have to fiddle about to get it right
Pete

Last edited:
The 'tune' option allows you to use a dropper on a colour wheel to pick a WB point if one doesn't exist in your source image.

I've saved a number of 'recipes' that only have WB adjust settings in them... sometimes useful in a creative sense but mostly just finetune using that control above.

Not always possible depending on what your shooting, but a set-up shot with something like a Digital Grey Kard is going to one way to go.

There are the two guesstimate methods of selecting a colour temp and as Adrian suggest the 'tune' option.

If using the 40D in the shade then Pete how are you setting your WB? And before the " If you shoot RAW it dont matter brigade step in " :cautious: I am afraid I dont buy that one. I shoot RAW set a manual WB and do not touch it in DPP.

The 'tune' option allows you to use a dropper on a colour wheel to pick a WB point if one doesn't exist in your source image.

I've saved a number of 'recipes' that only have WB adjust settings in them... sometimes useful in a creative sense but mostly just finetune using that control above.

Thanks Adrian:)

I have just tried the tune option worked a treat
Not always possible depending on what your shooting, but a set-up shot with something like a Digital Grey Kard is going to one way to go.

There are the two guesstimate methods of selecting a colour temp and as Adrian suggest the 'tune' option.

Thanks Mark :)just had a look at the white balance cards look just the job

If using the 40D in the shade then Pete how are you setting your WB? And before the " If you shoot RAW it dont matter brigade step in " :cautious: I am afraid I dont buy that one. I shoot RAW set a manual WB and do not touch it in DPP.

Thanks Rich:)
You are right but to be honest I dont bother to do a custom white balance as with wildlife photography I am always moving around so the light is always changing
still will give it a go next time I go to the zoo though will be easier to do there
One thing I was wondering though , if i do a custom white balance and the light changes say the sun comes out and i dont redo the white balance am I stuffed or can it still be corrected in raw?

Last edited:
Well Pete whilst I dont move around when I am taking my shots the Sun is always on the move and clouds are moving across, but as I say once I set a manual WB I leave it as is. Imo these presets that are in your camera are only as good as they think it will be and cannot replicate any given moment in time when you are taking a shot. Take for instance you average LCD TV, there are are as many if not more picture options to use in the setup than a DSLR, including WB, Hue/Saturation,RGB, Black Levels etc:etc: Now the light in your viewing room can change drastically in terms of Photography, but do you go in and adjust your setting each time a programme comes on and it dont look quite right :shrug: If the light does change and you feel the pic dont look right on the pc then yes you can change it in DPP. Click through the settings and see which looks best. Here is one of mine which is no different to what I have said I do with WB, it is converted in DPP the WB is not touched. If anybody can tell me there is an issue with the WB then I will be more than happy to listen to them and be told what I have done wrong.

IMG_8839_filtered.jpg

Back