White crescent banding on images 30D

I'm thinking something digital. Not lens, or light leaks, certainly not shuttter. Not light, basically

Sensor or possibly card (assuming post processing is eliminated by the straight from card pic).

Are they all off the same card?

Edit: what f/number are you using? F/394? :eek: Clean that sensor!

In days of yore it happened with a creased film, it was called cinching. But I don`t think the sensor is creased. My bet is a semicircular light leak from the side of the lens to the body. Maybe the camera was dropped, with the front corner of the lens striking the ground.

Well I'll be blowed!! OK I'm convinced - I just can't get my head round how a faulty shutter produces that effect. :thinking:

From the looks of the shutter it doesn't go straight up, it has a slight curve as it moves out of the way.
The chip in the bottom of the shutter lets in more light, over exposing in an arc.

That's how it looks to me. :shrug:

That`s it then, another prob with Canon cameras. Will they repair it gratis ? I think not. So far then T90 shutter prob, 300D shutter prob, now this one. Every body is now frantically checking their cameras. Don`t bother just bin the lot and buy a decent camera, Nikon for instance.

Well I'll be blowed!! OK I'm convinced - I just can't get my head round how a faulty shutter produces that effect. :thinking:

Basically it's got a hole in the mechanism Bob. And that pivots and swings through an arc across the sensor.

I think we should call a foul. Clearly mechanical failures don't count ;)

I'm just grateful it wasn't Rob who came up with the 'it's not the filter' answer :D

Basically it's got a hole in the mechanism Bob. And that pivots and swings through an arc across the sensor.

I think we should call a foul. Clearly mechanical failures don't count ;)

I'm just grateful it wasn't Rob who came up with the 'it's not the filter' answer :D

My first instinct was that is WAS light coming off a filter-ring or lens-hood that had all the paint rubbed-off...:LOL:

That`s it then, another prob with Canon cameras. Will they repair it gratis ? I think not. So far then T90 shutter prob, 300D shutter prob, now this one. Every body is now frantically checking their cameras. Don`t bother just bin the lot and buy a decent camera, Nikon for instance.

Lol.

Thanks for all the help. I guess it's time to find out how much to repair

Ouch!! Gingers in Connecticut at the moment so hoping it'll be cheaper in the US but knowing my luck it'll be the one thing that's more expensive :-(

Back