White headed bird of prey?

Edit My Images
Yes
What is it?! Taken at Elmley RSPB...

IMG_2687.jpg

Thanks all. As well as the stonechat, that's another first for me, so very happy with that.

Ah the Elmley Marsh Harrier, its a tricky bird to photograph down there so you did well. I usually find if I see one and drive along the road it slowly owrk its way over to where I was to start with :bang: lol

Sure is tricky, so I'm quite pleased with what I got, especially on a 400mm...

I'm really annoyed with myself actually, as I saw 3 harriers as I drove through the first gate... there's never anything of interest in that first field so I normally drive in, pull over and get the camera out of the bag etc... therefore I missed the 3 who were really close to the car giving the lapwings a bit of grief. Would of got some cracking shots from that. Damn!! Won't be doing that again...

Marsh Harrier

The positive responses to that seem to make that ID pretty definite. But what, particularly, made you say that, Ian? Because to me – not an ornithologist, BTW – that could also be an Osprey. Or another bird of prey in juvenile frock?

Osprey in Kent?! Pretty sure we can rule that one out ;-)

Osprey in Kent?! Pretty sure we can rule that one out ;-)

Yup - we'd be lucky :D

Must go out to Elmley one Sunday - you're getting some great captures there (y)

More chance of that flying pig!

Elmley is a lovely place, really lucky to be on it's doorstep. Do visit - Sundays are ok but go during the week if at all possible. More birds about, especially the small ones, as less cars are going through...

Thanks for the compliment

The positive responses to that seem to make that ID pretty definite. But what, particularly, made you say that, Ian? Because to me – not an ornithologist, BTW – that could also be an Osprey. Or another bird of prey in juvenile frock?

Hi, Ospreys are migratory, and are all in Africa or elsewhere now, the bird has a Dark Brown body and although it looks white the head isactually a creamy colour, only Marsh Harrier fits the bill really. Ospreys are all White and Black for the most part and are definitely not a match for this bird.

An Osprey from Rutland Water earlier this year, to illustrate the differences.

0501-154428.jpg

Hope that helps ?

Back