White on White

sunnyside_up

<span class="poty">POTY (Joint) 2016</span>
Name
Bethy
Edit My Images
No
Beth,

Great images as always. Love the milk bottle.

like the milk and straw image ... top notch

..................................WoW..............................All of them..............................WoW..................................

These are great Bethy and a really cool idea for a minimalist theme. That said the first and last images are indecipherable on my screen at the moment, well the first has flowers but thats as much as i can tell. I'm at work on a crappy monitor so is a million miles away from calibrated but posting on the web a lot of screens get set too bright so pushing the exposure to white I'd say a bit more contrast would help as a lot of people may not see what you see when editing.

Love the idea, must be hard to get the balance right between the item and the background.

The eggs, cup and milk ones work well for me, I like the red in the milk one but my favourite is probably the cup with the mix of the curves of the cup/saucer and the straight lines of the handle. It's a tough choice though.

Numbers 1, 3 and 6 don't work quite so well for me, not sure if my monitor isn't calibrated rightly (almost certainly isn't) but I'm finding it hard to make out the details. I do like the repetition of the 3rd one but I'm struggling to know what it is, the only thing I can think of is marshmallows.

Hope that doesn't sound harsh because overall I think they are great

Excellent set (y)

Quite creative

As usual very very nice.
It could be my laptop screen but on most of them i can see some strong artifacts in the white, kind of were it graduate from light to true white? Same on flickr when zoomed in but not as pronounced.

Very very sorry for my shocking delay in responding to you all. I forgot to follow the thread. :\
Thanks so much for your feedback and comments as always!

Beth,

Great images as always. Love the milk bottle.
Thanks very much - this one was quite popular on social media when it was posted. Probably one of my favs.

Oh I do like these :)
Thanks Paul

like the milk and straw image ... top notch
Thanks very much!

..................................WoW..............................All of them..............................WoW..................................
Cheers Graham

These are great Bethy and a really cool idea for a minimalist theme. That said the first and last images are indecipherable on my screen at the moment, well the first has flowers but thats as much as i can tell. I'm at work on a crappy monitor so is a million miles away from calibrated but posting on the web a lot of screens get set too bright so pushing the exposure to white I'd say a bit more contrast would help as a lot of people may not see what you see when editing.
I've had that comment from a few people... they look ok to me, I'm working on my calibrated monitor, but I will admit I probably pushed the boat a little too much on those as they are only 'just' within range for me. I appreciate the feedback, I'll go back and revisit those.

Love the idea, must be hard to get the balance right between the item and the background.

The eggs, cup and milk ones work well for me, I like the red in the milk one but my favourite is probably the cup with the mix of the curves of the cup/saucer and the straight lines of the handle. It's a tough choice though.

Numbers 1, 3 and 6 don't work quite so well for me, not sure if my monitor isn't calibrated rightly (almost certainly isn't) but I'm finding it hard to make out the details. I do like the repetition of the 3rd one but I'm struggling to know what it is, the only thing I can think of is marshmallows.

Hope that doesn't sound harsh because overall I think they are great
Thanks so much for the feedback, I really appreciate it. As I mentioned above, I probably pushed some of them a bit too far. Although I can make them out, I realize a lot of people can't. And the 3rd one is Imperial Mints. :)

I think the eggs are fabulous. Stunning lighting and shadows.
Thank you! :)
Excellent set (y)

Quite creative
Thanks for your comment! :)

Love them!
Thank you!

As usual very very nice.
It could be my laptop screen but on most of them i can see some strong artifacts in the white, kind of were it graduate from light to true white? Same on flickr when zoomed in but not as pronounced.
I'll have a look at that, thanks. I appreciate all constructive criticism. Sometimes you need some fresh eyes to see something that you yourself never did. Thanks again! :)

Beautiful work, and masterful use of the shadows to define the edges.
I'd be having nightmares for weeks beforehand, planning how to deal with the metering on this!

Excellent set. Something different. Can I ask what your lighting set-up was?
Argh, so sorry for not replying sooner! For some reason, I stopped getting notifications!
Thanks very much Brian. I shot the series on a colorama colourmat flat white background, one large softbox practically overhead, two flashes on the background, reflector out front. I had to be a bit of a contortionist to work around everything! :)

Beautiful work, and masterful use of the shadows to define the edges.
I'd be having nightmares for weeks beforehand, planning how to deal with the metering on this!
Thanks Paul. :)

Are they mints in the second one?
Good eye, yes! Imperial mints!

That's a great set of images, fantastic lighting and i love the milk bottle, that splash of red really pops!
Thanks very much! The milk bottle is proving to be very popular, closely followed by the cup of milk.

Very nice set.
I think a bit of negative lighting would have helped a few of the images, and it would have made your life a bit easier.
Negative lighting is nothing more than something dark (i.e. a black panel) to be reflected by the object being photographed, it really helps to define/hold the edges of things in this type of situation.

Great effort at what is the most difficult lighting situation. Just keep practising and it will give all you want.

Back