Critique Whitley Bay

Name
Richard Walton
Edit My Images
Yes
Whilst away on business yesterday I found myself in Whitley Bay with some time on my hands. So, as I had the Zfc with me I took it for a walk on the beach during the golden hour. Big issue. Being on the east coast the sun was setting behind me. Huh!
Anyway, I had a bit of a play and the results can be seen below.

WB-1 by Richard Walton, on Flickr

WB-2 by Richard Walton, on Flickr

WB-3 by Richard Walton, on Flickr

WB-4 by Richard Walton, on Flickr

WB-5 by Richard Walton, on Flickr

6. An arty one to finish.
WB-6 by Richard Walton, on Flickr

Thanks for looking. (y)

Deffo the last one for me, the other are unfortunately afflicted by the curse of a perfect blue sky, whilst it's nice to be out it unfortunately doesn't make for great photography as there's no interest in the sky whatsoever, not a lot you can do about that really. I tend to use days like that for scouting and make a note to come back when conditions improve.

Maybe also try playing around with shutter speeds. Try slowing the shutter down to say half a second and you'll get some superb movement created in the waves. Basically have fun and experiment!

Last edited:
You should have posted the last one in a thread on its own, because the others are a bit 'nice but.........shall I bother scrolling down any more'. Of the rest, the first one to me has potential but I can't define what it is that doesn't sit quite right. Maybe the branch without the ship and the bit of built up headland sticking out.

Deffo the last one for me, the other are unfortunately afflicted by the curse of a perfect blue sky, whilst it's nice to be out it unfortunately doesn't make for great photography as there's no interest in the sky whatsoever, not a lot you can do about that really. I tend to use days like that for scouting and make a note to come back when conditions improve.

Maybe also try playing around with shutter speeds. Try slowing the shutter down to say half a second and you'll get some superb movement created in the waves. Basically have fun and experiment!
Looking back over them in the cold light of day, I have to admit that the scenic shots are a bit lame. I know I could have done better. :)

To be frank, I was just wasting a bit of time as I had finished work for the night and had about an hour and half before my evening meal. So I took a walk along the beach to see what I could find.

Quick question though. Is it just me or does the following scenario pee you guys off too?

I'd only got my bendy Joby tripod with me and I was setting up the driftwood composition. If you can imagine, I was knelt down setting this little tripod thingy up and lining up the shot. I was about 10ft away from the driftwood and there was about 20yds of space behind me. The sand was untouched between me and the shot and as I was looking at my camera screen a middle aged man walked right between me and the shot leaving sodding great footprints in the sand! All the space in the world behind and he chooses to walk through my shot. I stayed silent, but I think the glare he got told him he'd achieved his goal and maybe saying something would not be his best choice that day.

Luckily by the time I'd walked up the beach and back the waves had smoothed it all out again, hence the first image.

You should have posted the last one in a thread on its own, because the others are a bit 'nice but.........shall I bother scrolling down any more'. Of the rest, the first one to me has potential but I can't define what it is that doesn't sit quite right. Maybe the branch without the ship and the bit of built up headland sticking out.
Lets face it. They're just bland. Well they must be if a single stone in the sand is the better image. :ROFLMAO:

Looking back over them in the cold light of day, I have to admit that the scenic shots are a bit lame. I know I could have done better. :)

To be frank, I was just wasting a bit of time as I had finished work for the night and had about an hour and half before my evening meal. So I took a walk along the beach to see what I could find.

Quick question though. Is it just me or does the following scenario pee you guys off too?

I'd only got my bendy Joby tripod with me and I was setting up the driftwood composition. If you can imagine, I was knelt down setting this little tripod thingy up and lining up the shot. I was about 10ft away from the driftwood and there was about 20yds of space behind me. The sand was untouched between me and the shot and as I was looking at my camera screen a middle aged man walked right between me and the shot leaving sodding great footprints in the sand! All the space in the world behind and he chooses to walk through my shot. I stayed silent, but I think the glare he got told him he'd achieved his goal and maybe saying something would not be his best choice that day.

Luckily by the time I'd walked up the beach and back the waves had smoothed it all out again, hence the first image.

Some people just don't think and some probably don't realise you are setting up or waiting to take the shot. Their only brush with photography is probably getting their phone out, up, click and back in the pocket. At least you had the tide on your side. I've lost shots when thoughtless people have got in the way and stayed in the way. Annoying when you've been standing for ages waiting for the light to fall just so (they never get in the way while the light's wrong............) but nothing you can do.

I'm with the others. The last image is the best. The first has the most potential but lacks balance for me. I'd have maybe have tried to fit the ship in the sideways "v" part of the tree. I'd also lose the left half of the image and have excluded the town for a more abstract shot. The others are fine but more record shots. The second last may have had potential if that s-shaped wave repeated and you could have it leading to the lighthouse.

Back