Who has done the Canon to Nikon change

mho

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
No
I'm once again looking to do the Canon to Nikon change, ruled it out before due to cost, but after the MK4 announcement I think its time to move.

I would like to know what others have moved from kit wise and what Nikon kit you got?.
If you think it was worth all the hassle etc. ?.
Dose anyone regret doing the move ?.

I moved from a Nikon D200 (tried a D3 which I didn't like) to a Canon 5D to go to full frame, if the D700 had been announced sooner I wouldn't have changed. But, in saying that, I douldn't change back as I really like my 7D.

I'm once again looking to do the Canon to Nikon change, ruled it out before due to cost, but after the MK4 announcement I think its time to move.

I would like to know what others have moved from kit wise and what Nikon kit you got?.

Hi Mark, we have been chatting on here since what 2006 ?

Me. Twice. Each time I get called back to Canon I end up annoyed and upset with Canons inability to work well wide open - so I go back to Nikon. Don't forget I had 2 x Mark II N + the dreaded Mark III before I had enough. I have also owned 2 x Canon 5D Mark II and some consumer cameras.

I like shooting F/1.4 - F/2.8 and in my opinion Nikon nail these apertures every time, where as with Canon you have to reshoot time and time again. It is no coincidence that my keeper ratio (in focus) shots went through the roof when I migrated to Nikon. I suspect yours would too.

To me, the cost is irrelevant as a sharp pictures that sells is better than a soft photo that wont.

I have no brand allegiance, I simply use what works and I can safely say that for me Nikon is that brand. I am shooting for two US based newspapers later today and I have a D700/D3 + 400m F/2.8 locked and loaded and I know I will get the shots that matter, rather than 'that would have been a great photo'.

Pete.

I changed from Nikon to Canon , it was the best thing I did I allways had problems with nikon in humid areas (rain forests etc.).

I was lucky in that while on the TP irc channel I was told in no uncertain terms to "GET NIKON" and I must say that even though I have never held a Cannon and can't compare the two brands I do love my d200 ;)

I don't hear of many Nikon users making the switch so I think It was good advice.

I don't hear of many Nikon users making the switch so I think It was good advice.

The Nikon D2H was a catastrophic mistake which caused a massive migration of Pros to Canon, most of whom never came back.

These things are cyclical.

Mrs_C switched from a Canon 300v to a Nikon D40x but that was because I chose Nikon and bought it for her. It was a close thing when I bought mine but happy with Nikon.

Thanks everyone for your comments everyone of them is useful, its interesting to see a few going the other way, I was thinking about swapping 4 months ago but cast was an issue then, but hope fully that wont be a factor for me now, I had Nikon send me a load of stuff to test earlier in the year and was impressed with the results i got.

At the moment i Have a D3 and D700 with MB10 on loan from a friend and while the D3 is fantastic I just cant help thinking its not worth the 1k ish premium over the D700 + Grip. Ok the D700 +MB10 is slightly heavier than the D3, but hey I probably carry that much crap in weight in my pocket, so its not an issue. Also the slightly less weather sealed D700 isnt an issue as i use rain covers when in really bad weather.

Diego, yes probably since 2006, I actually remembered you changing brands a few times but couldn't actually remember what was what, I don't really have a brand loyalty but i love the Canon glass its just the cameras are just not cutting it any more. As most if not all my studio work is now shot on Hasselblad and Phase one backs. I'm finding the canon images just dont stand up, but the D3x images quite amazingly do, its a strange world.

Anyway guys thanks for the info, much appreciated.

I jumped Canon to Nikon last year... one year on and I still love my D300, it does exactly what I wanted from my musings about what I wanted from an upgrade, it doesn't miss a beat.

Would I go back to a 1D MkIV now? No, quite simply, too much money and too late.

Where will I go next? D4 :D

My first DSLR was a Canon 350D, I then started doing weddings and bought a Fuji S5 Pro, with some Nikon accessories, but I'm now thinking of switching back to Canon, and I'm looking at a 5D.

I migrated from a Canon 5D to a Nikon D700 and haven't regretted it at all.

Here's all the Canon stuff I sold. I'm now shooting with all Nikon glass (have got Sigma 50mm f/1.4 on the way) 14-24mm f/2.8 (wonderful, wonderful lens), 24-70 f/2.8 (least used on Canon, most used on Nikon), 35mm f/2, 50mm f/1.8, 85mm f/1.8 (gorgeous portraits), 70-300mm VR (great value).

There was hassle involved. I'm actually on my second D700 due to a fault with the LCD monitor which meant me being without a camera for several weeks thanks to Misfuds. I now have a healthy D700 and D200 as back-up.

I do feel that my equivalent Nikon glass is superior to my old Canon glass except for the 70-200 f/2.8 IS as I don't (yet) have a Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 VR. I mostly shoot < 100mm and this is where the Nikon glass excels.

Flash-wise, the wireless CLS is fantastic and the intervalometer has allowed to experiment with and get hooked on time lapse photography.

For me, the move from Canon to Nikon was a good one. Given the chance to do it again I would.

I'm still with Canon but have to admit I'm having Nikon pangs. I was hanging on for the Mk IV to give me the high ISO performance I was looking for but have been really surprised at the price point rather than the spec.

Having said that, to change over everything will cost a lot and I'm not sure it's justifiable.

Im looking at switching at the moment, just waiting to see what Nikon will offer. Should find out on Mon :)

I switched from Canon to Nikon a few weeks ago. I prefer the way Nikon handles noise and the D3's superb low light capability but the 1D range of AF capabilities still blows everything away in low light levels. I've kept some of my fave canon lenses in case I move back; with the exception of the MPE-65 that I do miss quite a bit.

Don't think I'll move back though.

The grAss is always greener on the other side!!!

I was Nikon for 8 yrs, got envious of the colour redition of Canon compared to the D2H, jumped the fence to Canon for the 1D mk111, and landed in a massive pile of cow *****!!

After 2 years of lies and hassle from Canon, I switched back to Nikon 3 months ago. No regrets.

Canon kit included 2x MK111 (awfull), 1x MK11n (excellent) 40d (didn't perform for me), 600 f4 IS (excellent) 400 f2.8 IS (excellent) 300 f2.8 (excellent) 35-350 (excellent) 70-200 f2.8 IS (was never happy with it) 24-105 (excellent) 17-40 (excellent) 10-22 (excellent)

New Nikon kit includes D3x (excellent) 200 f2 VR (stunning -the sharpest lens I have ever used) 105 macro (excellent) 16-85 (very good for what it is) 14-24 (excellent)

There are lots of excellents there, but I have been happy with a lot of the kit.

Pros for Canon - the lack of mechanical parts to damage between the body and lens, picture colours seemed (and still do seem) slightly more accurate, Joe public see white lenses as "pro", I thought IS performed better than VR, the AF on the Canon seemed to hit the target faster than Nikon (but then failed to deliver in the case of the MK111) the lens hoods on the long lenses are easier to put away due to the position of the tripod collar, the AF points are spread further compared to the full frame Nikon, the cross type sensors are spread wider accross the frame than Nikon,

Pros for Nikon - I find the controls easier to get to, I can change the shutter settings without taking my finger off the trigger, the cross type sensors are designed to work beyond f2.8, AF is more consistant than MK111 (but take a fraction longer to aquire) but most importantly - NIKON WORKS!!!!

I hope that helps,

Gary

Staff edit - removed some of the borderline sales text - any sales conducted here should be done via the classifieds forum, thanks :)

Thanks guys, interesting stuff, much appreciated.

This year i moved from Canon to Nikon.
The main influence was i couldn't get wireless rear curtain sync flash with canon unless i bought the new multimax pocketwizards.
I'm now using RF-602's on Nikon and loving it. Saving myself hundreds of pounds.
Also for gig photography the Nikon just seems to focus in pitch black even without the AF assist. The canon was a nightmare for this.

Not in the league of some here, I started with a fuji S2 pro, went to canon 20D and have now come back to a D700.
The 'feel' of the nikons just 'fits' for me, and I wanted FF with a quick frame rate & decent AF.

Now loving it!

Honestly I just use whichever one is less expensive. For me right now that means Nikon and the D90. My largest print to date is 20X30 so I don't need a gazillion MP (the d40's 6 Megapixels would have been sufficient for my needs had I not needed bracketing and a continuous shutter speed greater than 3.5). I'm also not an equipment junkie so I just need three or four lenses (wide angle, regular 50 MM, a telephoto, and a portrait lens), a flash, a tripod. The rest I can borrow or improvise if needed. Photoshop also does wonders.

I treat cameras the same way I treat clothing: I slap it on and use it. I hate logos. :)

My name is Rob and I have been thinking about switching to Nikon. There I have said it.

I just want lovely pictures and before I spend any more money on glass I want to know I have the right body! I guess in my Canons defense I have never tried L Glass on it but it seems the advances made in bodies have been huge since I bought my EOS350D. My concern is budget and switching lenses etc and then once that is sorted, telling the Mrs...

I'm not a Canon person or a Nikon person but have chopped and changed over the years because of what suited me at the time.

I've owned quite a few SLR's and (after digital took off) a few entry level and 'enthusiast' DSLR's.

I have frequent use of (but never owned) pro Canon or Nikon DSLR / Lenses....but what I would say (about the entry / enthusiast cameras) is that the Nikons just seem to give a great picture almost every time without much thought on my part. The Canon produce worse pictures (if you just click) but match the Nikon results if you understand what you're doing.

Not sure why this would be but when I changed from a modest Nikon D50 I was shocked at how many crappy pics the Canon 40D produced. I honestly thought there was something wrong with the 40D but once I knuckled down the results were better than my D80. I had the same thing with the D200 and the 5D.

Anyway - I'm at the stage where I need to decide which (Canon or Nikon) I go with before I invest in some better glass.

Anyway - Canon to Nikon (for me) has been easy - in terms of results.

Nikon to Canon - takes a bit of gumption.

We've just had a few Civilian photographers out here, one of whom was Peter Byrne from PA - a Canon user...
He's seriously considering a move to Nikon - especially after playing with my D3 and D3x bodies...
Remember on another thread I mentioned Nikon doing a 1-for-1 swap at huge discount?
It's still ongoing: Nikon have offered to replace Pete's Canon kit with:

2x D3 bodies,
1x D3x body,
14-24mm f/2.8,
24-70mm f/2.8,
70-200 f/2.8 VR MkII,
300mm f/2.8,
400mm f/2.8,
600mm f/4,
TC 14E and TC 20E,
3x SB900's and an SU800...

This kit represented the nearest match to Pete's current line-up, some of which is nearly 5 years old now.

And what will it cost?
£1,200 plus his old Canon kit.
Yep - One-thousand, two-hundred English pounds...lol

We've just had a few Civilian photographers out here, one of whom was Peter Byrne from PA - a Canon user...
He's seriously considering a move to Nikon - especially after playing with my D3 and D3x bodies...
Remember on another thread I mentioned Nikon doing a 1-for-1 swap at huge discount?

2x D3 bodies,
1x D3x body,
14-24mm f/2.8,
24-70mm f/2.8,
70-200 f/2.8 VR MkII,
300mm f/2.8,
400mm f/2.8,
600mm f/4,
TC 14E and TC 20E,

This kit represented the nearest match to Pete's current line-up, some of which is nearly 5 years old now.

And what will it cost?

BLOODY HELL! :eek:

I do know a sports shooter who is a member on here and he did do a similar deal. He hasn't looked back he says.

Kev.

originally when i wanted my first DSLR it was nikon that called to me but the budget i had meant i would get much for my money. the D80 was on special for £400 but i never had the cash then and a week later it was gone. so it was down to the 450D or the A300 and the 450D just felt so flimsy like it could break any second but when i got the A300 in my hand it was a different story. i fell in love with it and after realising that they have similiar properties to the nikon then i had to go for it.

i shoot sony but in a way i also shoot nikon.

Used Canon EOS SLRs for years and used EOS digital for about four years (all work equipment) before I shelled out for my own gear. I just tried out a few bodies, went into it without any preconceptions - just looked at what was right for the money and how it felt to use. settled on the D200.

People ask me at work what they should go for and although I like to suggest Nikon*&#8211;*because I think the gear is better built - I just tell them to try stuff in a shop and not go on what they're told in magazines etc.

Arkady, heard of this happening before, Nikon giving amazing discounts to take Canon gear of the market, so to speak. Do you just approach Nikon d'ya think? We have 15 or so sets of canon gear at my work that we are looking to update - could be interesting to see what Nikon would offer.

Arkady, heard of this happening before, Nikon giving amazing discounts to take Canon gear of the market, so to speak. Do you just approach Nikon d'ya think? We have 15 or so sets of canon gear at my work that we are looking to update - could be interesting to see what Nikon would offer.

Worth a try - if it's commercial kit and not personal-use...You might need some paperwork to prove that...
I'd say to them you're thinking of upgrading the canon kit you have and were wondering if a deal could be struck - I'm sure they'll listen politely at the very least - might be worth a few bob...

I wouldn't know who to talk to at Nikon though...
The numbers I have are:
+44208 4816875
+44208 5414440
+44208 5414584 (fax)

Hi guys I'm thinking about changing from Canon to Nikon.From reviews I've read, the Nikon D300 sounds good in low light conditions and the noise control sounds very good :). Also with my Canon 400D camera, the lighting's good on sunny days but on cloudy days, if I use a high ISO in the Autumn and winter, the photos are noisy. Any advice and tips, much appreciated, thanks :)

Natasha

Hi guys I'm thinking about changing from Canon to Nikon.From reviews I've read, the Nikon D300 sounds good in low light conditions and the noise control sounds very good :). Also with my Canon 400D camera, the lighting's good on sunny days but on cloudy days, if I use a high ISO in the Autumn and winter, the photos are noisy. Any advice and tips, much appreciated, thanks :)

Natasha

It'll help Tash, that's for sure but the Canon isn't a bad camera per se - a lot of it may be to do with you underexposing slightly - try increasing your exposures in the conditions you describe (if the subjects allow for it) and if it's still a problem, go get the Nikon...in fact ignore all that - go get the Nikon...
The very fact that you're already thinking about it means you'll probably go get one anyway (it's what I'd do - I convince myself of a 'need' to justify my next shiny-kit purchase...then find the money somehow...lol)...and that's often all the excuse any of us needs...:D

(it's what I'd do - I convince myself of a 'need' to justify my next shiny-kit purchase...then find the money somehow...lol)...and that's often all the excuse any of us needs...:D

I hear you :(

It'll help Tash, that's for sure but the Canon isn't a bad camera per se - a lot of it may be to do with you underexposing slightly - try increasing your exposures in the conditions you describe (if the subjects allow for it) and if it's still a problem, go get the Nikon...in fact ignore all that - go get the Nikon...
The very fact that you're already thinking about it means you'll probably go get one anyway (it's what I'd do - I convince myself of a 'need' to justify my next shiny-kit purchase...then find the money somehow...lol)...and that's often all the excuse any of us needs...:D

Hi Thank you for the reply and advice, I really appreciate it :). What you said is true :LOL:. Even though I've enjoyed my Canon 400D camera (it's been good as my first DSLR and a great camera to learn on), I feel ready for the next camera. The Nikon D300 sounds great on high ISO performance and in low light conditions,also the Auto Focus system sounds good for action shots in wildlife photography :)

Now if I could only afford D700 with similar glass! 5D mk2 or the 5 year old 5D/1Ds2 are my only Canon options (yet too expensive) that may or may not perform. 40D is OK, but for an obvious reason I stick to f/5.6 or f/8 even with these lenses.

I really want to swap to a D700. It's EXACTLY what I want in a camera and I could use it with my college's 300mm 2.8 for sports.

Currently have:
5D + BG-E4 :: 24-70 2.8L :: 35L :: 85 1.8 :: 70-200 2.8L :: 20D(broken shutter) BG-E2 :: 580ex ::

I'm guessing that to move to a (all second hand) D700, 24-70, 70-200, wide prime between 30-50mm, sb800 wouldn't be a straight swap and would cost me quite a bit?

If Nikon could offer me a trade that would be great but I don't think i'd qualify for it.

2x D3 bodies,
1x D3x body,
14-24mm f/2.8,
24-70mm f/2.8,
70-200 f/2.8 VR MkII,
300mm f/2.8,
400mm f/2.8,
600mm f/4,
TC 14E and TC 20E,

And what will it cost?

Only if you work for a big agency though

would have cost me £7,000 to replace my canon kit with Nikons same line up

Only if you work for a big agency though

would have cost me £7,000 to replace my canon kit with Nikons same line up

You could always actually sell the Canon kit and not just keep it as well :D

Should have just gone with Nikon from the start...we did tell you, but did you listen...?

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

To be fair though, Canon were dominating the DSLR market for quite some time.

Yes, things go in cycles and maybe at some point Canon will catch up or over take but a year or two in a technology fuelled market is a lifetime...

I know a wedding photographer locally who went from 1D3/5DII with a lot of glass to a D3/D700 set-up and equivalent glass. He's not a 'name' and the change cost him less than £1k.

Back