Who inspires me - an open thread

Found a guy a while back called Stefan Speidel. I instantly fell in love with his style - complete opposite to the modern trend of high megapixel super-sharp huge dynamic range shots.

I love the gritty style, I love the execution of black and white, and I love his compositions. His shots of mount fuji blew my mind - Keeping it in the background, out of focus or shrouded in haze, yet because of it's iconic shape it still steals the show as the subject.

Mt. Fuji / 16 by Stefan Speidel, on Flickr

Mt. Fuji / 46 by Stefan Speidel, on Flickr

I also love his forest shots. The guy is a master of monochrome in my eyes.

into the magic forest /7 by Stefan Speidel, on Flickr

quiet by Stefan Speidel, on Flickr

Those shots of Mount Fuji are like something out of a fairy tale. Sort of puts me in mind of the Tales From Europe I used to watch as a kid on a black and white TV. I agree. A true master.

Found a guy a while back called Stefan Speidel. I instantly fell in love with his style - complete opposite to the modern trend of high megapixel super-sharp huge dynamic range shots.

I love the gritty style, I love the execution of black and white, and I love his compositions. His shots of mount fuji blew my mind - Keeping it in the background, out of focus or shrouded in haze, yet because of it's iconic shape it still steals the show as the subject.

these are stunning

He did a book a while ago - it's called 'Just Walking' and documents a 3 month walk he did in Japan where he's lived for 30+ years ...

The last people's work I look at for inspiration is that of Youtubing photographers.

The last people's work I look at for inspiration is that of Youtubing photographers.
It's not really a photographic medium, is it? It can be handy as a low-res video medium, though ...

It's not really a photographic medium, is it? It can be handy as a low-res video medium, though ...
Most photography Youtubers are in the entertainment business or are trying to sell you stuff.

If it’s not been mentioned before
walklikealice

"If I could pre-visualise the image, it would be pointless doing it. It’s the fact it’s a surprise that’s important." Tom Wood

I agree. I think he feels a little out of place, and it is his first self-made tutorial video, I think. For inspiration, there are better videos about his work made by other people.

I watched this yesterday and was not very impressed, although I've been following him on Instagram for quite a while and really like most of his street photography.

This guy I've started following on YouTube that I find very inspiring. Here's a sample of his vid's but I urge you to look at some of his other YouTube stuff, particularly if you shoot street around the East End of London & Brick Lane areas.

View: https://youtu.be/PirRvJKDke4?si=Fc_IVxG9L4kQjFfM

Last edited:
This guy (Tudor Smith) is a very close friend of mine and he shoots numerous YouTubes, but recently he's started doing POV street photography around Folkestone and other Kent areas and has helped me and me him on numerous occasions with our photography.

So if you don't mind I'd like to give him a plug on here, his material at the moment is not up to the standard of some of the other YouTubers (which he readily admits) but his way of working and talking is fascinating to me so please give him a look and maybe a like even if its just to encourage him. This first YouTube is of some of the Folkestone area which is very near to where I now live most of the time.

View: https://youtu.be/IGWaJ8AdOes?si=q5lfkuoJC0k1DeZi

Last edited:
This guy (Tudor Smith) is a very close friend of mine and he shoots numerous YouTubes, but recently he's started doing POV street photography around Folkestone and other Kent areas and has helped me and me him on numerous occasions with our photography.

So if you don't mind I'd like to give him a plug on here, his material at the moment is not up to the standard of some of the other YouTubers (which he readily admits) but his way of working and talking is fascinating to me so please give him a look and maybe a like even if its just to encourage him. This first YouTube is of some of the Folkestone area which is very near to where I now live most of the time.

What is he shooting with, George?

I found it interesting to watch, but for all the wrong reasons. It was more walking around happy snapping than trying to manufacture or construct a photograph. I guess he's happy doing that

I found it interesting to watch, but for all the wrong reasons. It was more walking around happy snapping than trying to manufacture or construct a photograph. I guess he's happy doing that

I did say he's new to street photography and needs a bit of encouragement, he's still finding his feet in this genre.

I came across this guy earlier today and have started to follow him. For me some of his mono work is amongst the best street photography I've come across in ages. Apart from his subject material his presentation is spot on, things like uprights upright, and good composition which both mean a lot to me. Well worth looking at a few of his vid's.

View: https://youtu.be/pqYjT3zic40?si=hPQAHew7qHjp79QC

Last edited:
Back