Who still uses Medium Format?

Arkady

Suspended / Banned
Name
Rob
Edit My Images
No
Given that some supplies of 120 and 220 are beginning to become hard to come by, who is still shooting on MF?
And what are you shooting on?

I've still got an old 'Blad 500c with an 80mm lens, which I'll keep for sentimental reasons, but I'm considering unloading my Pentax 6x7 kit as it's just sat in its peli-case in the attic.
I bought it to replace the Hasselblad, but then got sucked into digital instead, so it's never really been used - maybe had a couple of dozen rolls put through it, tops...
Might ditch the F5 at the same time...

Money raised will go towards as minty an F3 and m/f Nikkor 35mm f/2 lens as I can find...

However, if 120 and 220 look set to be around for a while yet, then the Nikon Coolscan I just saw advertised elsewhere might be an option after all...:D

I've recently purchased a Mamiya RB67 and I love it! My 30D is getting less and less use. Still haven't settled on a black and white film that I really like but I'm experimenting with various film/dev combos (currently on Acros in Rodinal, will be trying HP5 in Prescysol next i think). Have put a few rolls of Vevlia 50 through it and also Efke ir820 for lith prints. So much to learn still!

I'm currently shooting MF on one of these.

4412585547_edcda34dc8_o.jpg

Not the most technically advanced camera but it can stll produce a decent snap.

4420178876_f67e5340f6.jpg

indeed!

Like you I have a Blad that I tend to use as an ornament ;)

and a Mamiya 645 complete system with three lenses and a power winder.

I did advertise the Mamiya and as a full kit at not a bad price, would have cost more to have bought it all individually but had no takers so I'll carry on using it!

I got a 500 CM ( 80, 150) and a Mamiya 6 ( 50, 80).

I do use them sometimes; but not as much as I wish to. Probably should sell off the 500CM and buy a Mamiya 150mm lens.

That's a nice bit of tonal-range you have there, sir...:D

Thanks Rob, developed in Rodinal at home. Scanned on a Coolscan 9000, which if you've spotted one at a reasonable price I can thoroughly recommend.

I wouldn't say "still uses"... more like "started using". Purchased a Lubitel a good while back, and then upgraded to a Bronica ETRS a few months ago.

I've never used MF but hope to quite soon.

"Still uses" indeed.

Some of us were born before the advent of digital...lol
I remember when there was no internet, no mobile phones, no computers other than on TV - which was in B&W...:LOL:

I have a 'blad 501CM and a Mamiya RB67 Pro S. I love both these cameras for different reasons, although I'm not using either as much as I should tbh, but when I do, the plan is to shoot 120 reversal film and do the E6 processing myself. As you say 220 seems to be getting increasingly scarce.

I got tired of the laborious printing process years ago, but I can just about cope with developing E6 film and actually (sometimes anyway) quite enjoy it.

Thereafter the plan is to scan the trannies with a top b****x scanner for best results.

Got a brick of a Kiev 60 with an 80mm on the front. It gives decent results once you get the hang of it! I keep fiddling with the film leave and bleeding the edges though :bonk:

We had one of the first remote control TV's in our street, well, when I say remote control that isnt strictly true, it involved audio control, namely Dad telling me to change teh channel/volume/horizontal hold or similar.

Back to cameras - I used my Mamiya 645 at my daughters wedding last year, couple of rolls of 15 frame B&W and home developed, scanned and printed. Thought it would be 'different' and take the pressure off my son to produce great digital results as people would compare his with mine (his would/were better of course).
Nice camera, could do with being used more though.

Matt

Pah - if you can't remember your mom's co-op divvy number powdered milk, and Dick Barton and Dan Dare on the wireless... :shrug:

Pah - if you can't remember your mom's co-op divvy number powdered milk, and Dick Barton and Dan Dare on the wireless... :shrug:

And Green Shield Stamps...

And Green Shield Stamps...

^^ All of the above.

Cibachrome anyone - what an awful smell it had, especially if you mucked up the processing.

Matt

I'm currently shooting MF on one of these.

4412585547_edcda34dc8_o.jpg

Not the most technically advanced camera but it can stll produce a decent snap.

4420178876_f67e5340f6.jpg

I have one of those too with it's case :D

Radio Luxemburg under the covers on a Sunday night!

Damn thing had more whistles and squeeks and probably goes a long way to explaining my taste in music right now. :)

still got my Bronica SQb....gorgeous landscapes in mono....theres something about walking around with a light meter and getting it involved in the process a bit more....

Just bought a Yashica MAT, and a few rolls of Ilford XP2.

It's my very first non digital or 35mm camera and I'm about to head out this weekend to use it for the first time.

Looking forward to it.

Who can say where 120 is heading? Always fancied a Mamiya 7 rangefinder but they still sell for about a grand with lens on ebay. Wouldn't mind a Mamiya Press, used one for a long time with a 6 x 9 back (if it's good enough for William Egglestone) and looking at the colour negs recently they're virtually 5 x 4 quality and you have the practical advantages of rollfilm. The Rollei 6 was a lovely camera too, never owned one myself but heard good things.
The C220/330 Mamiyas are nice but a whole chunk of metal and square is tricky to compose for IMO.

220 is dead but as Neopan400 production ceases, Ektar100 increases. Ok so one isn't a replacement for the other but it shows there's life in the old dog yet (and Neopan400 was killed off for "environmental" reasons not through lack of demand.

I started with a Lubitel off here which someone gave to me which I've just posted to Gingerjon to get some use out of. I then brought a Bronica SQA which now includes, 50, 80, 150, 250 and 500mm glass. *****!ng loves it (when the battery isn't on it's way out and the shutter defaults to 1/500).

In an ideal world I'd like it to be 6x7 but I think the only alternative to the Bronica would be a Mamiya RB/RZ and they're a completely different beast from what I've seen.

I originally shot film but never shot it again once I had my digital camera. Recently I became entirely disillusioned with digital and have gone back to film. After borrowing a Pentax 67 I was entirely hooked, I now own my own Pentax 67II and a couple of lenses and love it.

I've been buying a lot of film recently and I'd like to think it helps slow down the demise of the wonderful stuff. Thinking optimistically medium format still looks pretty strong when compared to large format or even 35mm (no more Reala :().

Why would you not use MF, I have stopped using 35mm because MF is just as easy to use and gives real benefits over 35mm and digital. I think MF is the way forward for film.

35mm is some sort of compromise system cobbled together by some German bloke in the 1920’s who found proper cameras to heavy.:D

I very occasionally manage to borrow a Bronica SQA from a mate and take it out for the odd roll. As far as my own cameras, maybe nothing compared to some of the kit mentioned above, but I've got an old Voigtländer Perkeo pocket folder that uses 120 film, and also a couple of plastic monstrosities from Holga - the normal one and the pinhole panoramic. All very different from my regular 35mm film shooting kit - and none the worse for it. The Perkeo especially is nice, as you can stick a roll of 120 in there and just go for a walk - no messing about metering etc, just sunny 16 and a steady hand. And with only 12 shots, you see the results the same evening, on nice big neg's to boot. If I go out with a 36exp 35mm film, it may take me 3-4 outings to complete the roll.

Well, if there's one thing I've found about using film again it's that the only thing that matters is what you elect to put in the frame. I feel this is the way it should be. I've got my 7dayshop shopping cart filled with new films to try once again, I'll delay pulling the trigger this time though, my last order only just arrived!

Why would you not use MF, I have stopped using 35mm because MF is just as easy to use and gives real benefits over 35mm and digital. I think MF is the way forward for film.

35mm is some sort of compromise system cobbled together by some German bloke in the 1920’s who found proper cameras to heavy.:D

Personally I found it a real PITA having to change films (or backs) every 15 frames or so - just when I was getting into my stride, especially with models or portraits...
Not for nothing did Pro's use assistants - half their lives were spent reloading film backs or bodies and labelling the canisters or rolls...

Great for pack-shots, still-life, architectural or landscape, but people...?
And developing it in a hurry was also fairly traumatic at times...guarantee you'd get air-bubbles on the very frame you needed to use...

And 120 was also movie-film stock adapted for stills - 70mm...? Ring any bells?
In fact all film was movie-film before being used in still-cameras: 70mm 35mm and 16mm...

I just got a good deal on a Mamiya 7ii (but it needs a minor repair, so not shot it yet). Very excited though!

Personally I found it a real PITA having to change films (or backs) every 15 frames or so - just when I was getting into my stride, especially with models or portraits...

Makes you want to just leave the multi-exposure lever cocked or fit an empty back until they're warmed up. But then you can use digital for the warm up now instead. That's something that surprises me about 220 really. Yes it's a bit of a PITA if you just want to blat off 10frames, dev them and have a look but the more I think about it the more 220 makes sense. Shame you just can't get it new any more.

Just bought a Yashica MAT, and a few rolls of Ilford XP2.

It's my very first non digital or 35mm camera and I'm about to head out this weekend to use it for the first time.

Looking forward to it.

My most favourite picture of all time was taken on one of those. Magnificent lens, very flattering but sharp too.

Have fun.

Matt

Makes you want to just leave the multi-exposure lever cocked or fit an empty back until they're warmed up. But then you can use digital for the warm up now instead. That's something that surprises me about 220 really. Yes it's a bit of a PITA if you just want to blat off 10frames, dev them and have a look but the more I think about it the more 220 makes sense. Shame you just can't get it new any more.

I found the thinner base too prone to kinks and stress-marks...
I know what you mean though - but if I go digital then I may as well use my D3x...

And 120 was also movie-film stock adapted for stills - 70mm...? Ring any bells?
In fact all film was movie-film before being used in still-cameras: 70mm 35mm and 16mm...

My history of film is a bit dodgy and I wait to be corrected, but I think that 70mm/120 was the film used in the Kodak Brownie which inspired Edison and his movie camera. Edison than ordered a split roll 35mm from Kodak to use in his first movie camera.

My history of film is a bit dodgy...

You're not the only one...
That's as I was told it at Uni - if anyone knows better, I stand to be corrected...

35mm film was introduced by Kodak in 1892 for movie cameras and was later used in a variety of cameras...
135 as we know it now was introduced in 1934.
The earliest use of 70mm was a film of Henley Regatta projected in 1896, but possibly filmed as early as 1894...
The Box Brownie was introduced in February 1900 - so it looks like the film came first then the Brownie...

Back