Whole Roll Film Challenge?

Hmm... I have just fitted a 6x9 film back onto the Speed Graphic... that's 8 piccies. Tempting. Maybe get #1 daughter to help :cool:

Ohh man, been so busy lately that I actually forgot about this :oops: :$

Luckily I'd hand drawn a story board of my idea. I need a few props as my idea is a story, like a comic book.

Just need to pick a film, B&W and very contrasty, might even push some HP5 to 1600.

I made a start today. 3 photos and the batteries packed up.

Sums up my photography at the moment...

Wait - you starting already? I haven't even got a film test done yet :)

Question from daughter - can we go all Wizard of Oz with a colour film and present some frames "edited" to bw? Guessing that's going to be a nono but got to ask.

I am 3/4 the way through my roll. Really itching to finish it, but do need the right circumstances. It may take a bit longer but I will do it :)

How is everyone else doing?

Question from daughter - can we go all Wizard of Oz with a colour film and present some frames "edited" to bw? Guessing that's going to be a nono but got to ask.
You can do what you want, it's your challenge.

I am 3/4 the way through my roll. Really itching to finish it, but do need the right circumstances. It may take a bit longer but I will do it :)

How is everyone else doing?
Failing miserably, my original idea fell at the first hurdle and since then I haven't really put much thought into a plan B. Glad to hear that yours is coming along.

Sorry, going to have to drop out. Life's got in the way.

The next one!
Because I still like my original idea

Well, there is no way I am going to get this done by my own self-imposed deadline of the end of this month. I did shoot a whole roll at the Astle Park meet-up but it in no way forms any sort of coherent story, which is what I had set out to achieve and I am reluctant to post just a set of snaps because that is no different to posting any other set of snaps off a single roll. I'm not one for quitting though so I'm still aiming to do this, I think it's a really good exercise in thinking things through and creating something coherent so I'll try to get it together later in the year.

Last edited:
In the 1960s, Ilford published an award winning, 40 page glossy brochure called "The Face of FP3". They devoted two pages to the concept of telling a story using the whole of a single roll...

Photographing a Series with FP3 TZ70 TZ70 P1030589.JPG

Well, there is no way I am going to get this done by my own self-imposed deadline of the end of this month. I did shoot a whole roll at the Astle Park meet-up but it in no way forms any sort of coherent story, which is what I had set out to achieve and I am reluctant to post just a set of snaps because that is no different to posting any other set of snaps off a single roll. I'm not one for quitting though so I'm still aiming to do this, I think it's a really good exercise in thinking things through and creating something coherent so I'll try to get it together later in the year.
I agree. I'm partway through mine and know what I need to finish it. Juts waiting for the right circumstances. Better to do that than rush.

Righto. This is my disaster. Setting the bar very low :)

Before I post my contact sheet, I have to say I didn't enjoy this challenge. It was very much something I wanted to enjoy, and I'm glad I tried it, and I will likely have another go, but I wanted to try something different and it didn't really work.

Initially, I was going to use this as a test to see what redscale film looked like. I wanted a moody gothic feel to it, but after buying the roll for this challenge back in June, I took 5 frames and then left the camera on a shelf for 2 months by which time I'd forgotten what I was doing with it. So I came up with another idea which was double exposures. In this instance, the plan was to run the roll through the camera using ICM woods shots as a background, then shoot some specific subjects as a foreground interest.

Again, time in-between outings caused an issue as there is no clear cohesion to the contact sheet. It ended up being just a bunch of random subjects with varying degrees of success.

Intent: Shoot the roll with ICM photos at -2 stops to just give a background. Rewind, then reload the film into the same camera (EOS-1v) which (hopefully - and it did) will auto-advance to the same position for frame 1, then reshoot the roll over the top. I'm fairly certain I shot this second set of exposures at +0 and what's happened is that the ICM really has been over-shadowed by the single subjects.

Also, I need to remember to orientate the camera the same way for all vertical/portrait photos. A couple of frames have upside down ICMs and a couple are landscape ICM with a portrait static shot.

2021-10-07-colorplus2xp-eos30.jpg

I got one usable (i.e. I'll print it) frame from the roll...

000010830022.jpg
I think I forgot to do the ICM on this as it looks like a plain double exposure, but the balance of shots 1 & 2 seems to be about right.

000010830019.jpg
Quite like this one, but it's a sad case of orientating the camera different ways for each exposure as the lamp is upside down. Might have looked much better if I'd got it right.

Still - the idea was sound, I just need to focus on "doing it properly". I think this thread might be useful if all timescales were removed from it and people tackled it as-and-when. The idea of shooting a "story" on one roll of film doesn't appeal to me, and I think it's because my creativity gets stifled when I am forced into a corner like this. For some, it encourages them to explore things, but for me, I found it too restrictive.

A great idea nonetheless, so thanks Chris for kicking it off, and I'll definitely have another go with it. Need to read up a bit more on the exposure side of things and should probably make notes on "what was I thinking" so it's a bit less haphazard and more structured.

I agree. I'm partway through mine and know what I need to finish it. Juts waiting for the right circumstances. Better to do that than rush.
I lol'd at my intent here... Ended up finishing out of fear of the film being in the camera forever....

I lol'd at my intent here... Ended up finishing out of fear of the film being in the camera forever....

11 out of 10, Ian, for sheer ambition alone, :notworthy: I am just blown away by it, the sun flower shot is very impressive and I think you are being too hard on yourself. I would love to see frames 12, 13, 14 counting horizontally, the lady with the face-pack? Honestly, its a brilliant concept, well done.

As for me, I haven't got anything at all :(

I would love to see frames 12, 13, 14 counting horizontally
I think Mrs H would be most upset :) She only posed because I told her she would be very faded against a blurred backdrop. Didn't turn out like that at all, but lots of learning from it so I'm happy.

I tried something similar with a roll of expired film in my OM-1 (although not for this challenge).

My plan was to shoot a lot of patterrns and such, and then double expose on top of them to tray and achieve pattern-filled silhouettes. Then we went into the Tier-system (followed by another full lockdown) so the film just sat there for months. As I'd only made half-a-dozen frames of patterns, I eventually decided to just shoot the rest of the film on normal stuff before re-shooting the fisrst six frames only to get my doubl-exposures.

Then the camera developed a fault meaning about a third of frames on the roll were fecked, so I ended up just developing the colour film in B&W chemicals (mostly because I didn't want to pay a lab to develop a load of rubbish / ruined photos). I posted the end results here. Not quite what I'd originally planned... :)

@Harlequin565
Nice try Ian, the concept of the double exposure is sound however I fail to see the story, there is no real connection from one frame to the next.

Back