Whoooooosh! Virgin just upgraded me from 20meg to 60meg for FREE!

They said they would do mine for free, any time between now and October 2014.

I bet it's good for torrents and videos - can you tell any difference in general?

I uploaded and order to the printers and it just 'sooked' it up! :LOL:

Does anyone know with this if you buy virgin broadband in an area after it has already had its speed doubled, do you get the normal speed or the doubled speed?

Will be moving in august to somewhere which should have been doubled by, but it'll probably still be sold as 10mb on the website so hoping i'll get 20mb.

You just buy the package. If that package has been upgraded in speed in the location it's being used at then you get the faster speed.
All that happens is each cable modem pulls its configuration from a local server. The configuration file used depends on the package you are on. All they do is change the standard config file for an area when they upgrade.
You can log into the cable modem to see the operational speed and the config file name it is using.

Waiting to go from 50 to 100 or 120 - scheduled for July this year I believe.

My BT broadband went from 3.5Mb down to 0.5Mb then back up to 5Mb a few weeks back. I was impressed with 5Mb - not sure what I'd do with 60, let alone 120!

60gb is brilliant. If you need to download films at a faster rate than you can watch them :D :LOL: :wheresthatrolleyessmiley:

I'm waiting on my 50 meg line to go upto 100. Can't wait! Streaming on 50 is a dream, 100 is going to rock. And for you virgin haters out there, I get 50 meg down all day long :) never dropped below 47 meg

I wish they would just upgrade mine to the speed I'm paying for at the moment... I seem to have been unlucky in my area with Virgin, they're running an old network here with far too many people on it.

Well kind of free .... Considering a couple of weeks after they announced the *free* BB doubling, they`re putting their package prices up in April :wacky:

Nice marketing VM :LOL:

Do Virgin still Traffic Manage? I left them years ago because it was getting ridiculous.

Point me to a joe public ISP that says they do not traffic manage and I will point you to a joe public ISP that's a liar ;)

Point me to a joe public ISP that says they do not traffic manage and I will point you to a joe public ISP that's a liar ;)

BT obviously tell porkies a lot then. They just have a bulk fair usage policy, they don't throttle your connection for XXX hours after a poxy amount of bandwidth use like virgin do.

Maybe they should upgrade their infrastructure to one that can support speed upgrades without having to make compromises elsewhere.

At the risk of a :dummy: I really don't care, I cannot have the virgin service, nor can I have a decent cheap services from sky :shrug: I'm stuck with BT and it's pathetic, far from getting faster it's getting flipping slower :shake: so all this talk of 50-100mb service bugger the lot of you show off's :naughty: I don't want that...all I want is a fair service Mr ISP, how about stop spending money over and over in the city's and spend a little bit of money in the rural areas for the first time in 25 years :shake: on aveage my service fees are more than what people pay in the cities as they've more chose and my services is worse, that's hardly fair :bang:

Matt
MWHCVT

I'm waiting for my upgrade to 100mb/120mb but can't really say I'm excited about it, I d.load a few movies a month and l use it for online gaming ( not a lot) and I get throttled every month it's getting to the point where I'm thinking about switching providers.

photo-5.png

:LOL:

gramps said:
50 & 100 shouldn't get throttled.

They shouldn't but they do I've been the phone numerous times to complain

Well after a few speed tests- saying few i mean out of the few dozen that worked due to page timeouts im currently getting 2.16 mbps ive took some screen shots but they timeout when uploading to imageshack. Im getting 2mbps on my phones 3g. I think its time to move on from Virgin broadband.

On the 50Mb package via a wireless connection (cabled desktops are better):-

Virgin's quoted speeds and all the upgrades sound great. But when I was with them they 'managed' traffic so much it became useless. They seemed more interested in grabbing headlines - quantity, not quality. Pity, as I used to be very, very happy with cable back in the days of Telewest/Blueyonder.

I switched to O2 (still on their legacy package) and get full download/upload speeds all the time, no throttling. But I do acknowledge I'm close to the exchange, so somewhat lucky in that respect.

But hay, whatever works for you, etc. :)

we are supposed to go faster in July. I wait to see.

Last edited:
I've never heard of anyone on a Virgin cable connection having their broadband supply 'throttled'. Can't speak for those using the adsl (phoneline) supply.

Back