Who's into Hi-Fi turntables ?

That's not a rubber belt.

That's a spacetime anti-distortion wow belt.

* It's made by seven weeping virgins from Wigan.

It's made of hen's teeth and unicorn hair.

Jeez....do you know nothing?

* I believed you until you got really silly. :rolleyes:

Currently got 3 turntables;

U-turn Audio Orbit Custom with Grado Black cart is my main TT and is used with only clean records.

Hitachi HT-324 with AT-95e cart is an audition machine for newly purchased used records, or if I just want a brighter sound than the Orbit.

A newly purchased 3rd TT, Sanyo TP 1010. Needs a little work to get it in proper working condition; new belt, cart and some serious DeOxit work.

All hooked up to a lovely vintage Sanyo DCA 611 amplifier and Pioneer SP-BS22-LR Andrew Jones Design speakers.

Would love to get a hold of a vintage Pioneer or Thorens deck but they just never appear where I live, and if they do they don't go for much less than $1000.00.

I'm on the lookout for a quality turntable, something a bit different from the norm, if you've anything lying about collecting dust in the loft you may be willing to move on please give me a shout. Thanks

Appreciated;
Peter
Scotland

I'm on the lookout for a quality turntable, something a bit different from the norm, if you've anything lying about collecting dust in the loft you may be willing to move on please give me a shout. Thanks

Appreciated;
Peter
Scotland
You could look out for a Linn - always pricy but djprrb.

If you are minted..... try this

http://www.audioaffair.co.uk/thoren...hG6G2rKG8hS1QmEA6GwxknRURhGCFa-LfHxoCfkfw_wcB

The Rega Planar range is worth looking at.

I have always gone for belt drive rather than direct drive.

I would say stay away from the smaller USB enabled TTs. A friend has one but many of the new vinyl albums are sometimes slightly wider in diameter and can foul on the lid of the smsller compact decks. I thought it was BS but seems not.

Found some old vinyl in the loft a few years ago and thought about trying to find something to play it on, after a few months of trawling the free ads I found this
2016-11-19_09-02-12 by Scott, on FlFlickr

An old fella was down sizing and let me have it for £65 with some random vinyl, tapes and stuff. The best bits were tapes of Blaster Bates.
It's nice to slap some vinyl every now and again but technically I know very little about the hardware.

Original Rega Planar 3 here. Bought in the early eighties.

Could really do with a new cartridge though.

Nice to see my son buying and playing vinyl now.

I am literally having palpitations over your speaker placement.

Found some old vinyl in the loft a few years ago and thought about trying to find something to play it on, after a few months of trawling the free ads I found this
2016-11-19_09-02-12 by Scott, on FlFlickr

An old fella was down sizing and let me have it for £65 with some random vinyl, tapes and stuff. The best bits were tapes of Blaster Bates.
It's nice to slap some vinyl every now and again but technically I know very little about the hardware.

I wasn't joking, very little wiggle room in the room/dining room to place them any where else.

Another owner of an original 1980s Rega Planar 3 here. To be honest it doesn't get the use it deserves. I'm too lazy for vinyl since I started streaming lossless FLACs around the house almost a decade ago.

Original Rega Planar 3 here. Bought in the early eighties.

Could really do with a new cartridge though.

Nice to see my son buying and playing vinyl now.
It's worth getting a new cartridge. If you get it set up right the Vinyl seems (to me) a more comfortable experience but I accept though, that it might ne nostalgia and wishful thinking.

I got some vinyl at my local hospice charity shop last yesr. Exc +++ condition. A wrapped unplayed Electric Warrior by T Rex was in the pile.

The Amazon listings for vinyl are tempting.....

A wrapped unplayed Electric Warrior by T Rex was in the pile.

Fine album and a very good find, think Planet Queen is my favourite track, bought it when it came out, still here albeit rather worn.

Might have a look in Fopp when I pop into Cambridge this morning, still got many of my favourites on vinyl, but few I would like to buy again.

Last edited:
Fine album and a very good find, think Planet Queen is my favourite track, bought it when it came out, still here albeit rather worn.

Might have a look in Fopp when I pop into Cambridge this morning, still got many of my favourites on vinyl, but few I would like to buy again.
There are a few albums I have on different formats... 8 track, Cassette, Sony Mini Disc.... I like the convenience of CD, the FLAC library is useful, Cloud dtorage is fine as far as it goes, Vinyl? to play or just worship?.....

Vinyl? to play or just worship?.....

I suspect the latter looking at the sudden availability of record wall hangers to display the album covers as wall art. I've noticed that quite a lot of vinyl in the shops comes with a download voucher or code so that you can avoid actually taking the album out of the cellophane and keep it pristine but still access the musical content.

Last edited:
My 180 gram half speed masters lp's get used and sound incredible :cool:

My 180 gram half speed masters lp's get used and sound incredible :cool:
I used to buy the half speed gold albums way back. Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon and Dire Straits Brothers in Arms were spectacular. They were marked as 24K limited USA pressings.

My recent purchases are Free ( Fire and water ) and Simps Minds ( New gold dream ) both from Abbey Road studios

Argus from Wishbone Ash is one album that really benefits from listening to the vinyl version, twin guitar solo on the last track is superb, rest of the album isn't far behind though.

Not going into it on this thread, but their dual lead guitars played a part influencing Iron Maiden, you can hear it especially on their most recent albums

Argus from Wishbone Ash is one album that really benefits from listening to the vinyl version, twin guitar solo on the last track is superb, rest of the album isn't far behind though.

Not going into it on this thread, but their dual lead guitars played a part influencing Iron Maiden, you can hear it especially on their most recent albums
A favourite album of mine. Warrior my favourite track! Vinly has the depth, CD is clinical. A re-master could be interesting!

A favourite album of mine. Warrior my favourite track! Vinly has the depth, CD is clinical. A re-master could be interesting!

I do have it on CD too, not sure if it's remastered or not, couple of bonus tracks The Pilgrim and Phoenix. Some talk that the album cover provided the inspiration for Darth Vader, can see where the idea comes from.

Just got the album out, now need to connect the turntable up and it's all systems go,

download.jpg

Vinyl is my 1st choice media(as those who dip into the 'what are you listening to' thread will know), listen to at least 2 hours a night, PITA to flip it half way through, PITA to store but thats the price I have to pay.. I have a decent CD player and a Muzo Cobblestone hooked up to which I use aswell but my ears are always more comfy with a record.

iv'e no turntable now and havn't had for a good few years but back in the day ( 80's early 90's ) i had a few, the best being an LP12 with an alphason HR100s arm and AT cartridge
the one i regret letting go of was a thorens TD147 jubilee a limited edition turntable that wasn't as good as the LP12 combo sonically but for some reason i just really liked it

one of the other memorable turntables was the ariston revolver rd40 with the linn basic arm and cartridge, what a piece of junk that was, it sounded awful, it didn't stay long

i'm still well into my hifi but it's strictly CD now
iv'e not long since replaced my meridian amplification with Krell which has brought back a little more enthusiasm to listen more

one of these - http://vinylnirvana.com/ar-models/ar-the-turntable/

A&R Cambrdge E77 Cartridge onboard (that's probably at the end of its useful life)

Problem is, the AR has the "usual problem" with the grumbling sound from the main motor bearings, and sourcing a uk spec. replacement motor was pretty difficult last time I looked into it a few years ago... probably cheaper to actually just swap to a Rega, but it's so rare these days that I actually have the time and inclination to sit and really listen to music, it's not a priority.

Acoustic Research made a full system to go with that turntable you didn't happen to have the rest ?

Acoustic Research made a full system to go with that turntable you didn't happen to have the rest ?

I've got myself a bit confused. Are we talking about this company?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acoustic_Research

Or is there another one?

I have a pair of AR6 speakers from the 70s. I refoamed them and replaced the capacitors.

They are the best small bookshelf speakers I have ever heard.

there was another company A&R Cambridge that made Amps and Tuners, along with the Cartridge I've got fitted in my Turntable... but I don't think the two companies were linked...

there was another company A&R Cambridge that made Amps and Tuners, along with the Cartridge I've got fitted in my Turntable... but I don't think the two companies were linked...

Aha, good, I'm not going mad.

Well.....

So your turntable is from the U.S. company then?

Or is there another one?

I have a pair of AR6 speakers from the 70s. I refoamed them and replaced the capacitors.

The speakers were very nice but I always had larger speakers. When I got my motor home I wanted some good sounds so needed some small speakers. Went for Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 bookshelf size and very pleased with them. They are more modern but produce a good sound driven by an old NAD 3020 amp with a bespoke input box that feeds from my laptop and USB drive with FLAC source. Not the full on hifi but still not bad.

The Diamonds are not bad and are fairly cheap. Positioning is important to stop them 'booming' but for anyone strapped for space and cash they are good. I tested them in the home set up with vinyl (Pioneet PL12) and was very happy with them.

Or is there another one?

yes the american company called teledyne acoustic research
towards the end of there time in the uk they made a full system but you don't hear or see much about them, i was quite surprised to see one still being used
i don't think that turntable was made in the usa although the company is from the usa they had a research and development unit in denton manchester where i'm pretty sure they was made there
i could be wrong on that point but what i do know is when the place was shut down ( around 1989 / 90 ) a guy i know worked security there and managed to purchase the full system which leads me to think that was where they were made

Last edited:
Back