Who's into Hi-Fi turntables ?

Last edited:
I've got the lend of this quality hi-fi turntable vinyl spinner, an Acoustic Signature Challenger Mk1;

Acoustic Signature Challenger by Macvisual Photography, on Flickr
Very nice.....

Pricey but I could stare at a Challenger Mk 3 doing it's business through the whole of Pink Floy's back catalogue.... playing through a valve amp and some Rogers/Quad speakers I heard at a studio off Oxford Street in London in the late 1980s.

I have heard some amazing systems but that had it all. Vinyl on a 401 Garrard deck (cannot remember the arm/cartridge pair names it just drew sound pictures.

Had to get an emergency plumber in this afternoon. Was playing vinyl original of Bowie's Hunky Dory album when he came in to say all sorted with the boiler. He had never heard vinyl! Wss blown away by the clarity. His best comment was that he thought he could hear Ronson's plectrum striking strings on 'Queen Bitch'!... a convert,?

I use vintage turntables a Garrard 301& Thorens td124 both excellent and yes I agree vinyl can sound awesome

I use vintage turntables a Garrard 301& Thorens td124 both excellent and yes I agree vinyl does sound awesome
Slight correction :D

Recently bought a minty/used silver coloured SME V tonearm that's now attached to my Acoustic Signature Challenger turntable, sounds truly excellent...!

:)
That will sound good

What cartridge?

I am not into this - But I want to be!! I want to start all over again buying vinyl and buying a decent turntable and amp and speakers is a must do for 2017 / 18, I will watch this thread with interest

I am not into this - But I want to be!! I want to start all over again buying vinyl and buying a decent turntable and amp and speakers is a must do for 2017 / 18, I will watch this thread with interest

Have a look here

artofsound.co.uk

Using a Len Gregory Music Maker 3 moving iron cartridge, into a Kinshaw Perception 2x box switchable/adjustable MM/MC phono-stage. Audioplan Kontrast MkII floorstanding speakers etc....

How is the Kinshaw and MM3 working with the SME, bet it majors on dynamics!

I stil have a Pioneer PL112D with Ortofon VMS30, but it's in the loft at the moment. Last time I had it set up, it was into a mixer via inputs with microphone amps, then via some Wharfedale Diamond Pro 8.1 active speakers. It sounded alright, but not outstanding.

It's been years since I had separates, and unfortunately I've never had a really good hifi system. A couple friends had good systems back in the 80's.

One of them had Linn LP12, Naim, Linn Sara.
The other had, Linn LP12, Exposure (later went to Naim six pack), Linn DMS

Both sounded epic. I've toyed with building a system again, but my SWBO doesn't get it. She can't (refuses to) hear any difference and complains about how it all looks! Is also incapable of just listening to music for the sake of it and has to be doing something else at the same time.

Last edited:
How is the Kinshaw and MM3 working with the SME, bet it majors on dynamics!
Hi Roger, it's a great overall sound alright, very open with dynamics, the SME V tonearm really digs deep into the vinyl groove with excellent natural sounding retrieval..!

The makers of the Kinshaw Perception phono-stage (British made) now have an upgrade path available, you post them both the Kinshaw Perception phono-stage (2x box PSU & phono-stage) along with £250 and they add another PCB board into/onto the phono-stage and apparently it dramatically improves and lowers the noise/floor level, if your not happy with the upgrade they'll reimburse you the £250 and transfer your phono-stage back to standard trim etc....... a win win situation I think.
I've been buying quite a lot of new and used vinyl albums over the past 2/3 months, I've around 550 vinyl albums in my personal collection.

I've been using my local Hi-Fi outlet shop called 'Audio Emotion' in Central Scotland - Leven quite a bit of late, that's were I recently bought the German made Acoustic Signature turntable, excellent customer service/dedication/knowledge from owner Gary, top audio guy!

You crazy kids with your modern vinyl!

My turntable has a clockwork motor and turns at 78 RPM.

Steve.

Hi Roger, it's a great overall sound alright, very open with dynamics, the SME V tonearm really digs deep into the vinyl groove with excellent natural sounding retrieval..!

The makers of the Kinshaw Perception phono-stage (British made) now have an upgrade path available, you post them both the Kinshaw Perception phono-stage (2x box PSU & phono-stage) along with £250 and they add another PCB board into/onto the phono-stage and apparently it dramatically improves and lowers the noise/floor level, if your not happy with the upgrade they'll reimburse you the £250 and transfer your phono-stage back to standard trim etc....... a win win situation I think.
I've been buying quite a lot of new and used vinyl albums over the past 2/3 months, I've around 550 vinyl albums in my personal collection.

I've been using my local Hi-Fi outlet shop called 'Audio Emotion' in Central Scotland - Leven quite a bit of late, that's were I recently bought the German made Acoustic Signature turntable, excellent customer service/dedication/knowledge from owner Gary, top audio guy!

Hi Pete,

Sounds like a no brainier with the Kinshaw. Glad you are enjoying it. Was hoping my Lenco heavyweight would be finished this month but have ended up rebuilding a motorbike for the boy.Got the 300b finished and sounding so sweet through a pair of Snells.

Hi Pete,

Sounds like a no brainier with the Kinshaw. Glad you are enjoying it. Was hoping my Lenco heavyweight would be finished this month but have ended up rebuilding a motorbike for the boy.Got the 300b finished and sounding so sweet through a pair of Snells.
Good man Roger!

I'd love to audition a 300B valve amp myself, is yours a power-amp or integrated? What's the wattage output?

I'm also into motorcycles, been riding for 36+ years... My trusty steed is an immaculate Suzuki V-Strom DL1000 tourer, bought it new in 2008, it ticks all the boxes, I've had many bikes over the years but this is a keeper!
We did a 2wk European motorcycle trip in 2012, rode 3000 miles and mainly focused on Austria and Switzerland. Simply magnificent....!!

My 300B is based on the audio note design, putting out a whole 9 watts of single ended loveliness, i'm am using a simple passive pre on it of my design.

My 300B is based on the audio note design, putting out a whole 9 watts of single ended loveliness, i'm am using a simple passive pre on it of my design.
I've recently bought a Promitheus Audio TVC passive pre-amp myself, but nothing to connect to it amplier wise.......I'm searching..... lots.

Bet ya that single-ended 9 watts sounds sublime....!!

I've recently bought a Promitheus Audio TVC passive pre-amp myself, but nothing to connect to it amplier wise.......I'm searching..... lots.

Bet ya that single-ended 9 watts sounds sublime....!!

Acoustic sets really are "in the room", but me and a mate were listening to Led Zep yesterday and it was still pretty amazing. The sound stage is just awesome. The Snell J2s have a real synergy with the amp.

What sort of power amp you looking for?

Just a registration place holder....was hoping to be amazed and made to feel inadequate. or have a missed something?

Do not be put off by ludicrous prices and wild claims. A very good vinyl front end can be got together for a few hundred quid S/H. Much depends on what you listen to and the room you are putting it in, but the real trick is matching every thing up and set up.

Acoustic sets really are "in the room", but me and a mate were listening to Led Zep yesterday and it was still pretty amazing. The sound stage is just awesome. The Snell J2s have a real synergy with the amp.

What sort of power amp you looking for?
Only tonight I picked up an old/iconic Quad 303 power-amp, 45 watts into 8 ohms, quite an old amp but plays music beautifully, at a cost of £150, total bargain.

Solidly built.....!!!

Only tonight I picked up an old/iconic Quad 303 power-amp, 45 watts into 8 ohms, quite an old amp but plays music beautifully, at a cost of £150, total bargain.

Solidly built.....!!!
My favourite. I have the 33/303/FM3 stack. Full service/power upgrade 10 years ago. Currently packed away in a safe dry storage unit while I sort out where next I want to live.

It's a nice power amp but get the PSU checked. Tjere are upgrades that can 'smooth out the power line.

http://www.net-audio.co.uk/quad303upgrade.html

Another vintage user here. In the early 80s I bought the Meridian 101 preamp and 105 power amps, still going strong and happily driving the ancient Isobariks, the LP12 turntable is a bit newer - still a good system utility I'm sure some of the equipment me tinned above would be better.

Chris

Stuck with my setup for yonks now, must be nearly 30 years. Linn LP12 + Ittok + Lyra Lydian Beta (was originally Troika but it wore out). The rest is all Linn - LK1 + LK280 + Saras. Old school but works for me :)

Last edited:
Back