Who's work inspires you?

Name
Lotte
Edit My Images
No
I've come to realise I do not in anyway spend enough time browsing other peoples work but when I come to (as stupid as this sounds) I dont know where to start looking for any!!:geek:

so which photographers work inspires you the most, and what is it about their work?

I figured this might be a more fun thread than my last few. :D

Graelwyns........:)

thb looking at the pictures on here, there are some fantastic pictures (and photographers) here, personally i like the macro and general stuff mostly this is beause its stuff i can work on my self.

I also really like a good landscape but have yet to find a good local location.

For me!! Gary and Just Dave for his HDR which I had never even looked at as I had no Idea what it was or all about.

Now its given me another option in an area of photography I Knew nothing about THANKS DAVE..... So I have found that photography has many twists and turns one never knows where they will finish up in. So I am just looking forward to the the new challenges.

And its here that I thank TP and its membership for all the insperation and push to acheive more than I ever thought I would "THANKS TO YOU ALL." you will know who you are Kind Regards to all.

Last edited by a moderator:
cant beat the classics for a bit of inspiration
W. Eugene Smith: serious, emotive work, technically amazing!
Elliott Erwitt: light-hearted, often humorous clever pictures. loved photographing dogs

My two heroes are Joe McNally and Martin Parr (y)

Marcel.... I followed his work last year. and I think he is amazing. This year I have had to deal with a lot of personal stuff, and have lost all my photography mojo, so to speak, but last year, as well as being a full time dad to his kids (bloody well done, I work because I i'm not up to the job of full time mum) he didn't falter once, he let us into his life. which is very brave. he is truely inspirational to me.

Haven`t seen him lately . Luke Woodford . Love his people shots .But to be fair . They`re all just great .Whether they`ve hit perfection or not .The work people are putting in and in some cases , showing their failings and up for C&C has to be a great leverage for us newbies and an inspiration to all to up their standards . Thanks to all for that . Take care . Ron

I think absolutely anyone can inspire me, but mainly beginners who create some great images with very little (if any!) training, or the latest expensive/pro equipment.

Seeing beginners produce great images, makes me think that I can do it too, whereas I find it less impressive if someone with decades of professional experience and tens of thousands of pounds worth of gear produces something great as it's sort of expected that they produce great work.

It doesn't mean their images are any worse, but it's not as inspirational to me!

(dons helmet and runs for cover!!............)

Load of photographers inspire me, Zack Arias, Joey Lawrence spring to mind at the moment for there stunning images and incredible drive and enthusiasm.

I saw Joey's pics and thought he was great until I found out he was only 20years old, felt a little less inspired then.

Living on the moon as I do, I have only just discovered Yousuf Karsh, his website kind of blew me away.

There a plenty folk right here who keep enthusiastic.

I find our own EdinburghGary pretty inspirational, I admire his "can't leave it alone" attitude which I suppose is needed to drive anyone to get really good. Add to that his willingness to help others progress.

I also admire Tomas Whitehouse on these forums too, some super stuff work from him. I find myself messing around with strobes then getting frustrated after looking at his posts.

Last edited:
nobody!
i consciously try not to be inspired by anyone in case i start developing their style instead of my own.. if that makes sense.

there are definitely some photographers work that i really like, though.

These are a couple of recent discoveries
Anas Zakaria
http://flickr.com/photos/anas_zcm/

Chris Clark
http://www.cclarkphoto.com

I don't know the work of many famous photographers. But I recently came across the work of Chris Borgman, which blew me away.

I especially like the bearded biker and the girl holding the red flower whilst the petals rain down around her.

Some of work pushes the boundary towards art as opposed to photography (IMO), but either way I still appreciate it.

http://www.chrisborgman.com/

Ansel Adams, also for me.

Last edited:
Last edited:
I like Edinburgh Gary's shots a lot. He clearly has a passion and unlimited energy for his photography.

Probably very unfair to single out just one person because there are loads of folk on here who turn out amazing pics (esp. birds and animals - IMO).

I've seen so many excellent shots from photographers on here its difficult to pick any out, but I always like the shots Luke woodford and Fabs put on here.
The shots by Swiss Tony are excellent, which so its hard to pick an individual out, it also depends what the shot is.
I only wish some of mine will be that good as some on here maybe one day I just keep on trying:wave:

I like Edinburgh Gary's shots a lot. He clearly has a passion and unlimited energy for his photography.

Probably very unfair to single out just one person because there are loads of folk on here who turn out amazing pics (esp. birds and animals - IMO).

completely agree about singleing one person out as one of the people I follow on here is Kev amongst a few more like Hyakuhei

Great topic for a thread... always unselfish to choose to show off someone elses photos rather than ones own. I like it.

I'd choose three from here.

EdinburghGary, Chillimonster and IanC_UK.

Gaz - because he isn't afraid to try anything new, always takes all comments on board, and always posts inspiring images. For someone relatively new to photography he shows that it can be done.

Chris - because he is simply inspirational in photographing his girls. For nearly 7 months on his 365 thread he has posted cracking images; all different, all imaginative, and all excellent. Besides that, he's a top fella.

Ian - because of his simply stunning collection of bird shots. I envy being able to produce images like that.

There are loads of superb photographers on flickr. I could spend all day looking at them! It's not 100% foolproof, but looking in Explore on flcikr is probably the quickest way to find good photographers...

Jeff Ascough

http://www.jeffascough.com/

An image of his has stuck with me and the reason was the risk and confidence to get it. Most of us will get the shot of the bride stepping from the car. It means being there when the car arrives and usually getting low to get that step as she transitions from car to ground. I saw a shot of Jeff's were he had gone to a high window overlooking the courtyard where the car would arrive and got the shot of the bride stepping out from a unique angle. The vision to do this and the risk in attempting it (if he had got his timing wrong by a fraction of a second he would not have got the image) highlighted to me what makes his wedding photography special.

I regularly look at his site and always see shots that inspire and push me to be as creative with my own photography. I hate to admit it but I will go for the safe shot and know that I am probably doing what 99% of other wedding photographers will do but one day I will say 'sod it' and photograph a wedding without a shot list and without a set of 'must have' shots and just let myself shoot the shots that I know I can and really want to shoot.

John

i guess i am inspired more by particular photographs than a photographer specifically. Here are a few photos which have really inspired me. just google them

Simon Butterworth - Diamonds Aren't Forever
David Ward - Uig Sands
Colin Prior - the aonoch eigach ridge, glen coe, scotland

But i mostly get inspiration from the landscape and weather conditions

Back