Who's work inspires you?

I would say I'm inspired to some extent by every photograph I've seen in my life, without trying to sound too pedantic.

However, some of my favourite photographers:

Pete Carr
Joe McNally
Our own Edinburgh Gary
Ansel Adams
Steve McCurry
Our own Arkady
Our own Tomas Whitehouse

Last edited:
on here

Fracster for all round wildlife stuff. KIPAX, Tobers, The Bionic Dan for sports.

others that inspire me would be Marc Aspland at the times and Clive Mason at Getty

I find Joe McNally's work with small flashguns inspirational :)
I was just about to say the exact same thing. I've been seeing Joe's photos for years without knowing (or caring at the time) who took them, but since taking up photography myself I can't get enough of seeing his work.

I've watched all of the videos he's done for KelbyTraining.com, bought both of his books and follow his blog religiously. Both an inspiration and education, an enclyclopedia of useful (and useless, but hilarious) knowledge.

I've just been waiting for him to tour back over this way and do a lighting workshop in the UK (or relatively close European country) so I can go check it out.

David Hobby (AKA "The Strobist") is another blog I follow, and seen some of his vids on Youtube working alone and with Joe McNally.

While not a fan of the man himself, I do find some of Chase Jarvis' work quite good. I like the experimental nature of some of his stuff (of course, he has pretty much endless supplies of cash to support it).

Other than that, there aren't any photographers that I find as an inspiration on the whole, more so individual images (by many different photographers) that I try to "reverse engineer" to figure out how it was done with regard to the lighting, and technical aspects, and then see if I can emulate similar or how I might be able to improve (subject to personal tastes ;)) upon it.

James Nachtwey
Paolo Pellegrin
Sebastiao Salgado
David DuChemin
Irving Penn
Elliott Erwitt
Gregory Crewdson
Sam Abell
Tom Stoddart
Don McCullin

how do they do that painting with light with out leaving a rany ghosts of the person with the torch / light device

Dress in black and keep moving, so that the camera does not record the exposure...

(y)

Im so glad people are enjoying this thread :)
it's given me the chance to see a lot of inspiring work by photographers I had never heard of before as well as seeing it from those already well known :D

Colin Prior - as much for his patience as anything.

Ansel Adams - often gives me a reality check if when I think I 'need' fancy new gear.

Charlie Waite - much like Rick Stein does with his cooking - he has calming effect and makes you feel more confident by reminding you it aint rocket science.

Can't believe I haven't posted on here.... Christopher Voelker (and for more than his photography, but he changed his life around when so many people would've just accepted what they thought was their fate), Cliche perhaps but Man Ray (innovative and incredible really) Lee Miller....to name just a few

Has anybody visited Juza's site? His landscapes are incredable. For portraits, I love the work of Sigrid Estrada.

I have a long list of who inspire me these are just a few of them:
Martin Munkácsi
Henri Cartier-Bresson
August Sander
George Rodger
Ansel Adams
Diane Arbus
Annie Leibovitz

For me It's got to be Pete Carr. He used to be quite active here, But not so much recently. I assume that he is to busy with other projects which is fair enough.

Back