Why are so many of you on 1.6 crop cameras?

Name
George
Edit My Images
No
Ive just been looking through the "Show your gear" thread and firstly am shocked at the amount of "Gear Heads" there are in this forum...

Secondly its weird to me that so many people has stuck with 30D's/40D's/450D's etc, and put huge investment into nice lens's. Is the 1.6 crop preferable for action shooting?

what is it that has stopped so many of you, including professionals to not move to full frame?

It just seems like the natural progression to me but maybe Im wrong.

Each to his own... Why do you presume full frame is better for everyone?

It's been lack of choice from the manufacturers as opposed to personal choice, I'm a Nikon user and a full frame alternative is a relatively new offering with the the D3 and D700 being the only options, both of which carry a hefty price tag. I wasn't sure how I would get on with the lack of 'reach' on a FF sensor (and before anyone starts nit-picking you know what I mean :D) but I find I am rarely using my D300 these days even for my equine work.

You also have to factor in the cost of changing lenses, I have a couple of DX lenses and to replace them with FX equivalents will cost £2k+ which is huge commitment on top of an already expensive camera change. In time I will probably go totally FF but may keep one DX sensor body for certain occasions.

Full frame isn't necessarily the best option for all situations. I recently sold a 5D (ff) and replaced it with a 50D, giving me 2 x 1.6 crop bodies. This is because I mainly shoot wildlife, for which the crop sensor is the better option.

so as well as the cost, the 1.6 length at the long end is preferable for a lot of shooting?

With a 1.6 sensor you are effectivley cropping in camera rather in Photoshop. So your cropped image is at a far higher resolution.

If you take the same shot of the same Robin from the same place with a FF and a 1.6 crop sensor, the size of the Robin in the frame won't change, you'll just get extra scenery around the Robin with the ff because the sensor is bigger and it uses all of the lens, not just the centre area that the 1.6 crop sensor uses.

yep, but if you Full Frame has ample resolution you could afford to crop it in Photoshop no?

yep, but if you Full Frame has ample resolution you could afford to crop it in Photoshop no?

That asumes that everyone wants to spend lots of time in photoshop or whatever you use to edit. This is about photography not image manipulation. And I am wondering why you asking the question when you have a crop camera. Why are you not using a FF camera?

Oh and we all know that the best format is 4/3 right? :)

Slightly different angle from me (no pun intended).

With a 400D (1.6x crop) the biggest benefit to me in terms of upgrading will be to get new glass.

Now, in order to make that upgrade worth while, it's quite an expensive process as it is so, given the choice between upgrading the body and getting little return, or spending the same amount on some serious glass and seeing a marked improvement in IQ, the glass will win every time.

Once the glass collection is upgraded, then perhaps there will be funds available for a FF body.

Until then, I'll spend the hard earned on bits that will give the most return - lenses.

Why aren't more people using FF cameras.

1. lack of choice
2. expense
3. more expensive lenses
4. may not offer other features - eg high fps for sports shooting, or lack of basic settings for beginners

Yes, but why would you want to buy a camera that's twice as expensive to shoot an image knowing that you're going to crop 1/3 of it away? There are many instances where a ff camera is absolutely the right choice (landscapes, portraiture etc), but wildlife certainly isn't one of them :)

I do bird and wildlife photography so am happy to stick with my x2 crop factor thanks.

I've been with Nikon since the D100, and currently have the D2Xs & D300 - plus a variety of DX lenses - all 3 camera as 'cropped' as you call it

Why the crop version - cos when I started in digital there was no Nikon alternative anyway

Why stay with them - cos they are brill

Sure for some things FF is better but then in some things the cropped version is better; for my work the more obvious jump would be to MF rather than FF as the latter would be a relatively minor jump and still cost the same £10,000 ish as the new Hassleblad 31mp - which I reckon is miles better as a move

Still no need at present as I'm happy, clients are happy and I'm not constrained by the gear

Make sense?

:shrug:

DD

I agree :LOL: :p

Seriously though, Its all about what system meets your needs. I went for a 4/3's system because it suited my needs perfectly. As said above, a full frame system while it does have its advantages is not always the most suitable for every application.
Is investing a lot in lenses while keeping a 'cheaper' (for lack of a better word) body such a bad thing? After all, the lens is what is going to make the biggest difference to your image quality.

Lenses are better in the center too so there's another good reason along with wider DOF at faster apertures... cost for the main I'd expect for most though.

With a 1.6 sensor you are effectivley cropping in camera rather in Photoshop. So your cropped image is at a far higher resolution.

If you take the same shot of the same Robin from the same place with a FF and a 1.6 crop sensor, the size of the Robin in the frame won't change, you'll just get extra scenery around the Robin with the ff because the sensor is bigger and it uses all of the lens, not just the centre area that the 1.6 crop sensor uses.

Are you fixed to the ground ? :shrug:

This opinion always makes me laugh tbh, Do you not decide the image in your head, then fill the frame acordingly?

I can understand if your stuck in one place and the robin another that makes perfect sence, but your not.

So I think this theory is a myth, and as long as my legs are not bolted to the ground it makes no sence to me and I can't get my head round it at all :shake:

I try to crop 'in head' as im taking the shot, it doesnt always work but the theory is sound. (y)

or is it only me that see's it like this ?

given the moeny would i want a FF camera - yes but if the same question if i need a FF camera is no. The 1D bodied offer alot more than just FF in terms of features etc.

The work i have produced so far i dont think would of come out any better if i was using a FF camera. Because i havent used one means i dont feel lacking in any way and i use what i have to the best i can.

Are you fixed to the ground ? :shrug:

This opinion always makes me laugh tbh, Do you not decide the image in your head, then fill the frame acordingly?

I can understand if your stuck in one place and the robin another that makes perfect sence, but your not.

So I think this theory is a myth, and as long as my legs are not bolted to the ground it makes no sence to me and I can't get my head round it at all :shake:

I try to crop 'in head' as im taking the shot, it doesnt always work but the theory is sound. (y)

or is it only me that see's it like this ?

with some wildlife photography you cant get closer, so with the same lens on a FF or crop camera you'll fill more of the frame (and thus haev to crop out less background and loose ultimate image size-probably negated wiht the higher MP of a FF sensr but anyway) with crop sensor.

smae with motorsports photography, you cant get any closer, so yes in alot of situations your feet are bolted to the ground.

ys id love a full frame camera, like the 1DS but then id need to upgrade my zoom lenses to longer more expensive ones to make up for the 'crop advantage' in the subjects i shoot, and as lenses make a massive difference to the picture then ill upgrade my lenses well before i start buying a new FF body, as it is my next camera will probably also be a 'crop'

Waiting for someone to ask why not MF digital, you can crop that, plenty of MP to work with. Cost would be the major factor in this case.

New Leica S2 MF coming out, you will need to remortgage your house to buy it with a couple of lenses. Medium format sized sensor in a body little bigger than an SLR, looks like it could be good.

Horses for courses!

i use a 5D because I like portraiture and landscapes, I use a 30D when i want more length and am not worried about limiting my Depth of Field or using extreme wide angle lenses.

with some wildlife photography you cant get closer, so with the same lens on a FF or crop camera you'll fill more of the frame (and thus haev to crop out less background and loose ultimate image size-probably negated wiht the higher MP of a FF sensr but anyway) with crop sensor.

smae with motorsports photography, you cant get any closer, so yes in alot of situations your feet are bolted to the ground.

ys id love a full frame camera, like the 1DS but then id need to upgrade my zoom lenses to longer more expensive ones to make up for the 'crop advantage' in the subjects i shoot, and as lenses make a massive difference to the picture then ill upgrade my lenses well before i start buying a new FF body, as it is my next camera will probably also be a 'crop'

I do see your point, and I suppose it saves you shelling out for a bigger lens.

its just horses for course i suppose :)

The old adage of a good big un will always beat a good little un probably still holds true though!

That asumes that everyone wants to spend lots of time in photoshop or whatever you use to edit. This is about photography not image manipulation. And I am wondering why you asking the question when you have a crop camera. Why are you not using a FF camera?

Why am I asking the question? Because Im looking for peoples reasons not to upgrade to full frame so I can make more educated decisions in the future about the matter.

Just to get things right in my own head... Using my camera and the obvious FF model...

A 400D is 10mpx and a 5D 12.8mpx

So if my feet are glued to the floor, would the equivalent cropped shot on the 5D be the same as the 400D. Or would it be higher/lower res?

I think this has been mentioned before, but cropped sensor cameras in general are cheaper than FF ones.Also until recently the choice of FF has been rather limited.

I have a collection of cameras, both cropped sensor and FF. They both do the job. I still use my 20D in place of my 5D if I need to. Different lenses on each camera. naturally I have to be aware what the final result will be but the 20D will provide (and has) images suitable for A3 publication. I purchased the 20D when I couldn't justify the cost of a 1D

Choose the camera you can afford and are happy with. If in the future you think you night opt for a FF camera then take that into consideration when you purchase lenses that's all.

hi, having just got on the full frame wagon, I simply could not do it any faster than I did due to money, now I have the D700 I wont get frustrated with the nifty fifty shooting along side a D3 user it used to get me down having to step back all the time to get the same shot and then wait till he would move over to get out of my shot!

Michael

I've got a cropped sensor because Canon fitted it to the camera I could afford, as simple and boring as that :shrug:

:agree: completly MrGrubby.

hi, having just got on the full frame wagon, I simply could not do it any faster than I did due to money, now I have the D700 I wont get frustrated with the nifty fifty shooting along side a D3 user it used to get me down having to step back all the time to get the same shot and then wait till he would move over to get out of my shot!

Michael

I've had the same problem with those damned FF chaps getting in the way as their 70-200 isn't as 'powerful' as the same lens on my 1.5x crop so they have to get much closer

The buggers

:D

DD

FWIW I've got one because until I joined this forum I didn't even know there were different size sensors.

Damn I miss seeing at 10x8 trannies. 5DmkII - bah, not a patch. Still, give it a year or two...

Those 10x8s are brill aren't they, and I understand they are bringing out a 'Sport' model too to appeal to the general masses

Apparently, it'll do up to 3 frames per minute (y)

:D

DD

Back