Why buy a Mac over a better spec PC? Advice on purchase needed

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
No
I'm looking in to buying a laptop and I can get a higher spec custom built laptop for cheaper than a Macbook Pro. So why do all graphics designers and most photographers use Apple products?

I want to make sure my purchase is the best option and so would love some advice on the benefit of buying a Macbook pro really… it doesn't on paper seem to make sense.

Simple answer is they don't...most photographers I know use windows, I also know a lot that use mac though...for years apple was very effective at targeting the so called "creative community" but the reality is if power and quality components is your interest you'll get far more value out of a custom built machine

Last year I built (had built) a beast of a machine for my editing, it wasn't price wise it probably came in at about the price of a mid spec Mac, but spec wise it far out paces most Mac machines, I know exactly what is in the machine, it still got space to expand and develop it further the average component warranty is about 5 years so far greater that standard

Ultimately IMO you'll get greater value out of a PC/Windows based machine that you will a Mac and as to speed/reliability my machine is about 14 months old not, it has never had any issues with crashes etc not even for a few seconds and from switch on to CS6 fully loaded and ready to edit is under 15 seconds so the just works brigade doesn't come into it...

What I will say I macs are very good, and design wise still way ahead of nearly every PC on the market

I use Windows on a newish laptop, two of my kids have macbook pros, quite old ones.If I could afford it I would switch to macbook, I know it's a cliche but they do "just work". One of them is an interior architect and the other edits movies. They have both loaded loads of software and they never have a problem. Yes you could get a higher spec laptop or pc or just by macbook off the shelf.

I'm looking in to buying a laptop and I can get a higher spec custom built laptop for cheaper than a Macbook Pro. So why do all graphics designers and most photographers use Apple products?

I want to make sure my purchase is the best option and so would love some advice on the benefit of buying a Macbook pro really… it doesn't on paper seem to make sense.

The screen.

Find a windows laptop with an IPS panel, decent res and a similar spec to a mac and it will soon come into the same price bracket as the MBP.

Cheers for the replies guys... Anyone have any feedback on the fact I've read Apple products don't show the colours properly in Adobe products, or at least are less accurate than windows based machines? For someone editing images I feel this might be an important factor, or it could be totally not if the difference is only very minor :)

Cheers for the replies guys... Anyone have any feedback on the fact I've read Apple products don't show the colours properly in Adobe products, or at least are less accurate than windows based machines? For someone editing images I feel this might be an important factor, or it could be totally not if the difference is only very minor :)

It's not a factor for me. I edit on my MBP and my windows desktop interchangeably.

What I would do is look at a high end laptop and compare it side by side with a mac. I switched a couple of years ago after 30 years of windows, will I go back never Macs just seem to work

What about upgrading it in future Ben, is that possible with Apple products or is it a case of a whole new MBP once the current one starts to show its age?

Upgrading the screen? No idea. It's not an easy task on any laptop so regardless of Mac or Windows I'd probably just buy a new machine.

These Dells are quite nice http://www.dell.com/uk/p/xps-13-9333/pd

If you mean general component upgrades then no, Apple have locked things down. But Macs hold their value really well so an upgrade won't cost too much when the time comes.

Last edited:
The screen.

Find a windows laptop with an IPS panel, decent res and a similar spec to a mac and it will soon come into the same price bracket as the MBP.

A few weeks ago I bought a Dell XPS15 (9530) from the Dell outlet. I'd wanted a machine that would have a life of around 5 years of decent performance, and was looking at a reasonably fast i7 quad core processor, 16Gb RAM and good graphics capability. A nice screen was also desirable, along with low weight, mac-style trackpad, good connectivity and a decent build, and this fit the bill well at about £1000 + extended warranty.

I'm operating-system agnostic, happy to use Windows, OSX & Linux and had previously owned a Macbook (late Dec 2008) that had behaved just like any other PC, including iffy hardware, and become frustratingly slow despite upgrades etc. I'd looked at the possibility of another Mac, but anything with a decent spec was quite expensive, even as a refurb, and worst of all, retina Macbooks can't be user-upgraded.

So I bought the Dell.

The place where Apple have really won is in the way they present a new computer to you: defaults are mostly logical, and when you first boot the experience tries to win you over with animations and exciting discoveries (this wear thin after a few weeks, when the machine indicates you're too stupid to be allowed control). My windows 8 experience was the opposite, with default settings being generally illogical, badly chosen or just irritating, but as I adjusted the system it eventually became smart, clean and flexible. TBH there's little to choose between them in practice - both will continually send you updates (sometimes large, sometimes they'll break your machine). If they will run the software you want fast enough then it doesn't matter really. The one other key difference is that windows manages workflow for everything through the task bar, but OSX relies on individual applications to manage workflow, and if you have a lot of - say - text documents and spreadsheets open at the same time then it can be really tricky navigating through - though they have addressed this somewhat in the last couple of OS version.

So I'd say use what you like, but you can get a great machine for significantly less than a Mac. Check out Chillblast as well as Dell.

Get whatever you prefer and what spec is important to you. However when doing a true like for like comparison I've never seen much of a price difference between one or the other.

Ultimately this is personal preference, if you don't get it and aren't willing to spec the same machine which will have the same cost for a windows platform then that is just fine.

MacBook for me though.

Upgrading the screen? No idea. It's not an easy task on any laptop so regardless of Mac or Windows I'd probably just buy a new machine.

These Dells are quite nice http://www.dell.com/uk/p/xps-13-9333/pd

If you mean general component upgrades then no, Apple have locked things down. But Macs hold their value really well so an upgrade won't cost too much when the time comes.

Sorry Ben not the screen just RAM etc. You answered the question though anyway so cheers :)

A few weeks ago I bought a Dell XPS15 (9530) from the Dell outlet. I'd wanted a machine that would have a life of around 5 years of decent performance, and was looking at a reasonably fast i7 quad core processor, 16Gb RAM and good graphics capability. A nice screen was also desirable, along with low weight, mac-style trackpad, good connectivity and a decent build, and this fit the bill well at about £1000 + extended warranty.

I'm operating-system agnostic, happy to use Windows, OSX & Linux and had previously owned a Macbook (late Dec 2008) that had behaved just like any other PC, including iffy hardware, and become frustratingly slow despite upgrades etc. I'd looked at the possibility of another Mac, but anything with a decent spec was quite expensive, even as a refurb, and worst of all, retina Macbooks can't be user-upgraded.

So I bought the Dell.

The place where Apple have really won is in the way they present a new computer to you: defaults are mostly logical, and when you first boot the experience tries to win you over with animations and exciting discoveries (this wear thin after a few weeks, when the machine indicates you're too stupid to be allowed control). My windows 8 experience was the opposite, with default settings being generally illogical, badly chosen or just irritating, but as I adjusted the system it eventually became smart, clean and flexible. TBH there's little to choose between them in practice - both will continually send you updates (sometimes large, sometimes they'll break your machine). If they will run the software you want fast enough then it doesn't matter really. The one other key difference is that windows manages workflow for everything through the task bar, but OSX relies on individual applications to manage workflow, and if you have a lot of - say - text documents and spreadsheets open at the same time then it can be really tricky navigating through - though they have addressed this somewhat in the last couple of OS version.

So I'd say use what you like, but you can get a great machine for significantly less than a Mac. Check out Chillblast as well as Dell.

Yeah Chillblast is where I've been looking at PC's... They did my desktop and it's been really good and reliable :)

Get whatever you prefer and what spec is important to you. However when doing a true like for like comparison I've never seen much of a price difference between one or the other.

Ultimately this is personal preference, if you don't get it and aren't willing to spec the same machine which will have the same cost for a windows platform then that is just fine.

MacBook for me though.

Better spec 15" custom laptop from Chillblast is £1100 compared to £2100 for the Mac... Quite a difference but lots seem to be using macs so I'm possibly missing something other than a slightly better res?

Let's see http://www.chillblast.com/Chillblast-Genesis-15-8970-15-Gaming-Laptop.html this one? Errrm I'd just get an even cheaper desktop box instead of that roof panel. It is very thick and very heavy - not really portable. Furthermore, the display may possibly be a very poor TN panel (need to double check). Then the warranty returns would involve a lot more hassle than with apple, and you will always know it looks "cheap". Honestly just buy the desktop if you are ready to put up with running windows.
Samsung top of the line laptops look a lot better, but cost pretty much same or more than apple. You really get what you pay for.

Supporting both platforms as the day job, one does not "just work" better than the other.

Ultimately these days it's all the same hardware just in a difference case and OS. And window and osx are have just as many pros and cons as each other.

Why do macs favour for creative people? It's a legacy thing and creative people love the stigma of a "stylish" mac. You could alternate between CS on either platform and only notice the most minor of layout changes. We couldn't get away with swapping our floor of macs out however as all of the creative types would have a hissy.

If you don't have an external display then the glossy panels are a big no no in my opinion.

Short version - get whatever one has the os you feel most comfortable using but ultimately spend a good amount on a windows machine and it will be just as good if not better spec.

There are quite a few Nikon -V -Cannon and PC -V- Mac threads on here ! Many of these discussions have been had before. Some of them get quite heated. My advice is get something you feel comfortable with and get the highest specification you can afford.

Supporting both platforms as the day job, one does not "just work" better than the other.

Ultimately these days it's all the same hardware just in a difference case and OS. And window and osx are have just as many pros and cons as each other.

Why do macs favour for creative people? It's a legacy thing and creative people love the stigma of a "stylish" mac. You could alternate between CS on either platform and only notice the most minor of layout changes. We couldn't get away with swapping our floor of macs out however as all of the creative types would have a hissy.

If you don't have an external display then the glossy panels are a big no no in my opinion.

Short version - get whatever one has the os you feel most comfortable using but ultimately spend a good amount on a windows machine and it will be just as good if not better spec.

There's a man who speaks the truth :) my Windows machine just works too well it must Ive never had any faults or failures on it.....I nearly fell of my seat a few weeks back when a Mac user posted a photo asking for help on an issue and it was a Mac Blue Screen of death :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I don't get the 'Just works' line, Windows 'just works' too unless you go back to Millenium Edition.
But typically a better Windows machine is half the price, so obviously it's not as good somehow. :runaway:

Last edited:
I don't get the 'Just works' line, Windows 'just works' too unless you go back to Millenium Edition.
But typically a better Windows machine is half the price, so obviously it's not as good somehow. :runaway:

Maybe mac users would like mine then as my wallet/debit card didn't like it when I went shopping for the parts :eek:

[quote="Joeturner11, post: 6315236, member: 55756"personally love Macs in general, Have a IMac 27inch and 13inch MacBook. Love the simple feel to the operating system and find them more of a Joy to use than Windows, I have nothing against Windows just personally find Macs alot better to use IMHO :)[/quote]

Agree I have always had windows PCs and laptops
recently when looking for a new laptop i saw the screen on the retina macbook pro and loved it that together with the much better battery life convinced me and i bought the macbook pro
I still have a pc decktop as its only 3 years old and is perfecly ok
Definately a matter of preference as both will do the same job:)

Last edited:
Better spec 15" custom laptop from Chillblast is £1100 compared to £2100 for the Mac... Quite a difference but lots seem to be using macs so I'm possibly missing something other than a slightly better res?
Out of interest, which one is that from Chillblast? I just specced one (and couldn't get it comparable) to my MBA of the Prestige series and that came out at £1522 already exceeding the Apple configuration price. Now fair enough if you don't require those specs and can deal with a lesser configuration, but that is exactly what I mean by like-for-like...

Out of interest, which one is that from Chillblast? I just specced one (and couldn't get it comparable) to my MBA of the Prestige series and that came out at £1522 already exceeding the Apple configuration price. Now fair enough if you don't require those specs and can deal with a lesser configuration, but that is exactly what I mean by like-for-like...

Pretty much any of the higher priced laptops kill the MBP for specs in terms of RAM, storage etc and are much cheaper. I'm talking 15" not 13" versions btw.

[quote="Joeturner11, post: 6315236, member: 55756"personally love Macs in general, Have a IMac 27inch and 13inch MacBook. Love the simple feel to the operating system and find them more of a Joy to use than Windows, I have nothing against Windows just personally find Macs alot better to use IMHO :)

Agree I have always had windows PCs and laptops
recently when looking for a new laptop i saw the screen on the retina macbook pro and loved it that together with the much better battery life convinced me and i bought the macbook pro
I still have a pc decktop as its only 3 years old and is perfecly ok
Definately a matter of preference as both will do the same job:)

TBH I've been looking at the battery life and MBP's absolutely rock in this area… something I'm now swaying towards the Apple product for

Last edited:
I asked a mate of mine who runs a web/graphics design company about this a while back.

He uses macs for one reason only. Because that's what clients expects to see when they walk into his office. He would be more than happy to work on windows based machines, but the perception of the public is that apple = graphics.

Therefore an office with a dozen shiney mac screens on the desk, even though costing more initially, generates him more business than a room full of un-definable black boxes. Works for him.

For a self employed photographer with a computer that the clients will never see, well I know what I would go for.

TBH I've been looking at the battery life and MBP's absolutely rock in this area… something I'm now swaying towards the Apple product for

The Battery life is ridiculous good on the latest models and as @bass_junkie83 just said above if you are using a Mac it looks the part and impresses the clients and makes your setup look more professional than using a windows laptop.

The Battery life is ridiculous good on the latest models and as @bass_junkie83 just said above if you are using a Mac it looks the part and impresses the clients and makes your setup look more professional than using a windows laptop.

TBH I don't care how it looks, I'll just be using it for doing editing when I don't want to be upstairs in my office i.e. at night when sat downstairs with my wife watching tv. I'll also take it away with me on holiday etc or if traveling anywhere so I can work on the train / plane

I think that a windows desktop is loads better value on bang for buck, but the MacBooks are seriously high spec laptops and by the time you get close to the spec for windows the price is pretty close.

honestly battery life is HUGELY subjective as they're all based on idle.

start loading that CPU up and they're in the same boat as everyone else. certainly my dell lasts just as long as a 2009 i7 15" MBP (my test machine, i dont have anything newer to hand but theyre all very similar cross models).

just have the right power saving options set up.

Last edited:
honestly battery life is HUGELY subjective as they're all based on idle.

start loading that CPU up and they're in the same boat as everyone else. certainly my dell lasts just as long as a 2009 i7 15" MBP (my test machine, i dont have anything newer to hand but theyre all very similar cross models).

just have the right power saving options set up.

Ahh ok I didn't know that… I wonder if just buying an extra battery for a windows machine might be more cost effective?

I recently had to replace a 2011 Macbook Pro due to extensive water ingress at a rainy Sunderland game, and so bought a brand new Macbook Pro Retina. My partner has just gone freelance and so has had to buy a new Windows laptop and opted for Dell. A little over a week between purchase dates and mine is by far the quickest machine, despite having to edit 22mp RAW files and 1080p video whilst hers just handles text based software (she's a translator). Spec wise they're pretty much the same, though mine has a 128GB SSD rather than 500GB standard hard drive. I haven't used Windows since XP, but based on this I believe OS X to be far superior for speed and efficiency. I mean, literally straight out of the box and I was having to wait a number of seconds for 'My Computer' to open!

My old Pro was built like a tank, the metal chassis is brilliant and took more knocks, bumps, scrapes and falls than I care to remember about and still worked flawlessly right up until the end. Indeed, 48 hours after I bought the replacement it fired back up to life - though with a few keys not working. My partners Dell which was only £120 cheaper has a plastic exterior and I wouldn't trust it to take half of what mine has. If you spend £500 on a laptop you simply won't get the build quality or speed of a £1100 mac.. you'll struggle it seems even if you spend £1000!

Battery life, the old Pro would just about do 2 games of football (so maybe 4 hours?) with Photoshop open and wifi connected. The new one has done one game on less than 30%.. haven't done any double/triple headers yet!

Yes the battery life is important for me at least
when I go away I wont have to worry about being able to charge it I should at least be able to upload pictures to it each day for backup on one full charge

Last edited:
Just done some more research and it seems the most like for like comparable laptop would be the Dell XPS 15 which comes in at about £1500.

I can get a 15" macbook pro for £65 more as I get £150 discount for working in education. Tbh it seems like a no brainer to go for the mac now I've found a real proper windows alternative to compare it against.

The Macbook pro comes with 8GB or Ram though which seems very poor… does anyone have any experience of using LR & PS with only 8GB or did everyone upgrade to the 16GB option?

In terms of hardware, the non-apple products will always be better value.

I think it is really down to whether or not you get on better with Apple or Windows software.

Back