Why care about what others think, just enjoy what YOU do

Edit My Images
No
I posted in another link but thought post this as a thread as well.

BIn reality who cares and why do people care enough to moan about what other people do, have they nothing better to moan about.

Daily you hear people saying don't do this do this, don't use film use digital, don't use filters use Photoshop................. WHY?

I am a sports, but have just started landscape will never do Portrait because I can't mix with people, I used filters 20+ years ago and have started again, I will use a 10 stopper, I will shoot how I want and what I like, I don't care what others think or like, and why should we.

It is almost as though we have to be better than everyone else on every forum these days, my technique is better than yours and I know better than you, well NO ONE knows better than you, I am talking to you reading this now, the single person actually taking that image and if YOU want to shoot fluffy water go for it and ignore everyone else

Also I don't see photography as art, I said "I DON'T" I never have and never will be artistic so not comebacks please, I do photography and astronomy because I love it, I am never happier than I am with a camera or telescope or both shooting Ha, blow the artistic, it is relaxing and enjoyable, why be in to just to kill yourself to try to out shoot the others, I chose to set up a tripod, camera, filters, because it relaxes me and gives pleasure, not spend time in Photoshop after stuck in my office all the time as I have to when shooting for a magazine, sometimes being Autistic....... not Artistic, has its benefits :)

Last edited:
I don't really care what others think BUT, if I was selling my services, I would need to take my customers' opinions into account. Keep the customers happy and if the customer is yourself, good luck!

It doesn't matter what others think but it is possible to enjoy doing what you do even better if you are given good advice/guidance/training. :)

Some people enjoy a good competition

Some people enjoy responding to comments and feedback from others

Some people find working in Photoshop relaxing and enjoyable

Some people want to learn and develop new skills, learn new techniques, strive for a certain style which means accepting that others do know better

Some people appreciate the genre of photography that is considered “artistic” and find visiting exhibitions and galleries relaxing, enjoyable and engaging

Vive la difference!

If photography is just for fun then yep - don't give a toss what others think (y)(y)(y)

Just don't share them too - or what & how you did it - so you're 'safe' from others' comments, however helpfully intended, but if you are going to share and don't want queries or help then TP has a forum for this "Photos for pleasure', where you can share any old crap safely knowing its FAB as no-one is allowed ot say otherwise :bat::bat::bat:

Results matter (even if only to you as the photographer) not how you got there :)

Dave

It clearly bothers you or you wouldn't have had this rant right? Stop letting it bother you ... it is that simple.

I never shoot to compete with anyone, I shoot to suit myself and if someone else likes it, that's a bonus. I do think [the right] photography can be art and I don't care who thinks otherwise. I don't think of myself as a specific type of photographer, I think once you pigeon hole yourself into a category, you're in danger of not allowing yourself to explore. I'll shoot macro one day, and landscape the next if it suits me. For me it's a hobby, not a job, so there are no rules.

I don't see people tell me any of the things you say on a monthly, let alone daily basis.

I don't really care what others think BUT, if I was selling my services, I would need to take my customers' opinions into account. Keep the customers happy and if the customer is yourself, good luck!

I was talking about us, me, we not customers

It clearly bothers you or you wouldn't have had this rant right? Stop letting it bother you ... it is that simple.

I never shoot to compete with anyone, I shoot to suit myself and if someone else likes it, that's a bonus. I do think [the right] photography can be art and I don't care who thinks otherwise. I don't think of myself as a specific type of photographer, I think once you pigeon hole yourself into a category, you're in danger of not allowing yourself to explore. I'll shoot macro one day, and landscape the next if it suits me. For me it's a hobby, not a job, so there are no rules.

I don't see people tell me any of the things you say on a monthly, let alone daily basis.

An opinion not a rant, why is it whenever some have an "opinion" others call it a rant ?

As for your post, A1, 100% :) :) :)

Some people enjoy a good competition

Some people enjoy responding to comments and feedback from others

Some people find working in Photoshop relaxing and enjoyable

Some people want to learn and develop new skills, learn new techniques, strive for a certain style which means accepting that others do know better

Some people appreciate the genre of photography that is considered “artistic” and find visiting exhibitions and galleries relaxing, enjoyable and engaging

Vive la difference!

That is exactly what I was saying, just because I, you, he, she does something different does not make it wrong, using film, playing vinyl, using filters, driving a trabant :)

""Photos for pleasure', where you can share any old crap "

You see, I see that as a derogatory comment, and is why many people I have spoken to on many differing forums do not join or post because they feel they will be belittled.

If you don't want to have comparisons made, and can't cope with criticism or advice, it is perhaps best not to share your images and ideas where people can comment on them.
And if you do not care what people think , why would you want to anyway.

I would suggest most of us post on forums because we want to communicate something.
What we communicate can be no more than a "show and tell" as we did in primary school.
However it can be something we have found out or learned and want to share with others.
Sometimes it is in the hope of a pat on the back for a job well done.
and some times more in the hope of finding answers.
At other times our post may be an answer to someone else's cry for help.
What ever we chose to post, is part of what makes up this community and why we are all here.

We have all seen a few posted images that are so bad in every way, that we are speechless. However they must have had some meaning to the poster, and it can be enlightening to try and find out what that is. At other times, images are so overwhelming in some way, that it is equally difficult to find words that do justice to them.

So, in one way or another, we all find meaning in posting and sharing on these forums. the choice is ours.

""Photos for pleasure', where you can share any old crap "

You see, I see that as a derogatory comment, and is why many people I have spoken to on many differing forums do not join or post because they feel they will be belittled.

That's interesting, my mate is VERY high on the Aspergers scale and would take it literally, factually, as it was intended, while maybe seeing a hint of a joke. I very much doubt he'd see it as an insult

You can indeed post anything, great or crap, in that forum and feel happy that no-one is allowed to say much other than a like perhaps

Dave

If you don't want to have comparisons made, and can't cope with criticism or advice, it is perhaps best not to share your images and ideas where people can comment on them.

I would suggest most of us post on forums because we want to communicate something.
What we communicate can be no more than a "show and tell" as we did in primary school.
However it can be something we have found out or learned and want to share with others.
What ever we chose to post, is part of what makes up this community and why we are all here.

We have all seen a few posted images that are so bad in every way, that we are speechless. However they must have had some meaning to the poster, and it can be enlightening to try and find out what that is. At other times, images are so overwhelming in some way, that it is equally difficult to find words that do justice to them.

So, in one way or another, we all find meaning in posting and sharing on these forums. the choice is ours.

Awesome post :)

Dave

That's a problem on every forum. There are always people whose ego is so deflated that they make comments of that nature in a bid to seem more important than they are. The best thing you can do is try to get past it without responding and hope they get better. (The "Ignore" button helps here).

Last edited:
That's interesting, my mate is VERY high on the Aspergers scale and would take it literally, factually, as it was intended, while maybe seeing a hint of a joke. I very much doubt he'd see it as an insult

You can indeed post anything, great or crap, in that forum and feel happy that no-one is allowed to say much other than a like perhaps

Dave

This is a problem I have, I do NOT get humor, for example I can NOt judge people from their expressions, which is why I don't mix

Any my son made the mistake of arguing with me.............................................. ONCE

.151a.jpg

An opinion not a rant, why is it whenever some have an "opinion" others call it a rant ?

As for your post, A1, 100% :) :) :)

Trust me, I love a good rant :D I call most opinions mini rants so don't pay too much heed to that ;) My main point is not to let things get to you

How can anyone teach photography and not teach the use of filters, benefits and drawbacks, even the use of film is still in Colleges ?

Just asking

PERFECT, and to comment in a non condescending way and not criticise their use of whatever gear just offer constructive advice

How can anyone teach photography and not teach the use of filters, benefits and drawbacks,

I do teach, and I do discuss the use of filters too, explaining why I don't use them or feel they are appropriate most of the time as its difficult to explain the benefits of them in many cases

Granted there are time where they can be useful, but I rarely shoot those things anyway as my choice. Some of the latest developments in mirrorless cameras are making filters even less useful

As for film - well lets just say I didn't enjoy using it even when it was all there was lol - I only really found the freedom to shoot what & how I wanted with digital

If there's something about the 'look' of film someone likes, standing in a darkroom using a lollipop for dodge & burn perhaps or even the process of stacking filters and using tripods then go for it - nothing is wrong, only different :)

Dave

PERFECT, and to comment in a non condescending way and not criticise their use of whatever gear just offer constructive advice

Most forums have pressure or strong views on gear or how to go about things. Just ignore it.
I am on tons of forums and they are all the same.
If your on a denim forum, you get laughed at if you don't have Japanese Jeans or at least high end ones.
On a watch forum you should have at least a Seiko or better and mechanical not quartz.
You would need to be a Dr or something to afford all the "right" gear for every hobby.

I don't care what others think or like

But you started this thread. :p

photo.jpg

Who's said don't shoot film? Shooting film can be great fun (depending on what you want from the hobby) but it can also sort the sheep from the goats... Was it perhaps someone who has to rely on 14 stops of dynamic range to rescue the exposure on their photos? Was it was someone who can't cope without auto-ISO coming to their rescue?

Film photography doesn't suit everyone, modern digital is far more convenient and versatile, but I find film is a far more honest medium; get a shot a bit wrong and it will let you know in no uncertain terms that you're not as good as you thought you were. Get it right and it can be very rewarding.

As for critique, I judge each comment on its own merits, I weigh up whether or not it's valid, helpful and relevant to the context of the photo and I'll take things on board if I think they are useful. Some people will see differently from you, or will not 'see' what you have seen in a photo; so this needs to be considered when reading people's comments. I work on the principle of no matter how good a photographer is, the opportunity to learn more is always there, but being offended by other people's comments or suggestions can really stand in the way of that.

Some comments can be very blunt to the point of appearing rude, however they may still make a valid point - but badly! Setting hurt feelings aside, there is probably more opportunity to learn from an honest and truthful critique than there is from a dozen 'likes' and a handful of 'lovely shot' comments.

However, a hobby is supposed to be enjoyable, so don't let other people's comments or opinions spoil your enjoyment. It's not compulsory to seek the opinion of others! Take what you want from other people's input, but don't let it crush your own style, enthusiasm and ideas, otherwise everyone's photos will look the same, and I can't think of anything worse for the hobby.

Last edited:
Who's said don't shoot film?
It wasn't me but I can understand why someone might say that after reading your first paragraph.

I've been taking pictures for more than 50 years and at one time made a very good living out of selling my shots. To me it doesn't matter how you get the image you're after provided you get it. There's nothing wrong with any approach that doesn't harm others but there's a lot wrong with saying that another person is inferior because they use the available technology to achieve their intentions.

I think it’s important to learn as much as you can about any hobby so you can get the best out of it to suit yourself.
I don’t post many pics and don’t expect, or want to receive any criticism or tips on “ how it could be better”. Criticism of photos ( or art) is just someone else’s opinion, which you may or may not agree with.
Some people thrive on it and encourage it, using it as a learning experience.
Me? I take photos I like. I sell some, I get people asking to use them in publications or the like, but mostly they are for me.
I remember something that stuck in my mind many years ago when I graduated from Art college. A famous art critic ( can’t remember who he was now) was looking at the final year work which had been made into an exhibition.
He was critiquing an abstract picture, and for about 10 minutes, telling everyone what he thought.
The owner of the work was standing next to me listening attentively. After he had finished, the owner looked at me and said “ they’ve hung it upside down”

It wasn't me but I can understand why someone might say that after reading your first paragraph.

I've been taking pictures for more than 50 years and at one time made a very good living out of selling my shots. To me it doesn't matter how you get the image you're after provided you get it. There's nothing wrong with any approach that doesn't harm others but there's a lot wrong with saying that another person is inferior because they use the available technology to achieve their intentions.

In the context of hobby photography, it depends which you enjoy most, the destination or the journey. Who's saying anyone is inferior?

Last edited:
Who's saying anyone is inferior?
You seem to be implying it when you wrote...
but it can also sort the sheep from the goats... Was it perhaps someone who has to rely on 14 stops of dynamic range to rescue the exposure on their photos? Was it was someone who can't cope without auto-ISO coming to their rescue?/QUOTE]

it's all subjective anyway be it art or a matter of record.
Critique is essential if you want to improve your photography skills without it you will keep taking the same type of photo which in your mind will be perfectly acceptable, others will have a different view and without critique it's hard to know what could be improved.

You seem to be implying it when you wrote...

Are they not valid questions as to why someone may have a dislike for using film? Even in a hobby context, film won't be for everyone, possibly for one of the reasons I suggested? There's nothing wrong with using available technology to reach your photographic intentions, but is there a difference in terms of ability between using available technology and being reliant upon it?

I'm all for using technology if it makes things easier; I'll openly admit to using Programme mode from time to time for both film and digital photography - why overcomplicate things if you don't need to? However, I'm not reliant on it.

If the end result is all that matters then it probably doesn't matter if that result is generated in-camera or in electronic post-production. I suppose it depends on a person's definition of the term photographer? Should a line be drawn between Photoshop technician and photographer? What degree of technical knowledge and ability should either have? However, should the question really be, is any of this actually important, particularly in a hobby context?

One thing I wouldn't do though, is suggest that people shouldn't use a particular photographic medium; photography is a broad church and exploring its many aspects can be as much fun as the end result... as the saying goes, to travel hopefully is sometimes a better thing than to arrive. :)

Last edited:
I stand corrected :D

I actually had a Cokin 'Rainbow' filter in the late 70's - it wasn't this good though

Dave

I was given one too - they were probably reduced from 1/2 price and were overpriced at that!

I posted in another link but thought post this as a thread as well.

BIn reality who cares and why do people care enough to moan about what other people do, have they nothing better to moan about.

Daily you hear people saying don't do this do this, don't use film use digital, don't use filters use Photoshop................. WHY?

So you came to this photo forum, where people discuss various aspects of photography, apparently to get affirmation that your choice of filter system was correct and then appear to complain when we don't provide the agreement you hoped for. Why?

We discuss different aspects of photography here, and there are a broad range of strong and sometimes contradictory opinions. Some of us still post pictures FOR critique by others because we want to grow and develop ( ;) ) as photographers in both craft and art. Some who make their living from photography come to chat with others in similar jobs and for a bit of mutual support. Others come because they just want to know more about the latest kit.

This place covers a very diverse range of people types and abilities, tastes and preferences.

It is my observation that very, very few photographers actually just shoot work to please themselves, and are instead working for an external audience. If that were not the case then you would only discover their pictures after they had died, and there would be a lot more historic troves of images waiting to be discovered.

I'm sure you have a lot to contribute to the forum, and I'll look forward to seeing your work and receive your critique of mine. :)

Last edited:
I bet if FB was around at the time she'd have shared her images a lot more

I bet if FB was around at the time she'd have shared her images a lot more
Or on the other hand, maybe she was too private a person to embrace social media. But then again, it might've suited her. Who knows?

Back