Why do people say "brought" when they mean bought?

It's an " I don't understand the english language" thing isn't it?

Even more annoying, why do some people say 'lend' when they mean 'borrow' ??? :shrug:

And why do some people say scones when the word is clearly pronounced scones!

hmmmm.... that doesn't work in a written forum does it!!?? :bonk:

Whats getting me at the moment is that "pack up your troubles song" you know the one, all twinkly and ilght with a prety female voice, then a gruff bloke comes on singing "pack up.....". I'm sure he means to say "cavalry" in the song, but says "Calvary". Small difference, but puts a new meaning on th esong.

Just checked, it's called "pack up" by Eliza Doolittle.

Last edited:
I'm just wondering, it's not something I can recall hearing in this part of the world, but it seems to be common on here :shrug:

:LOL: that's because Scot's would have actually had to buy something to be able to use the the latter :naughty:

Seriously - it may be a southern thing. Sound very similar in cockney.

:LOL: that's because Scot's would have actually had to buy something to be able to use the the latter :naughty:

Seriously - it may be a southern thing. Sound very similar in cockney.

Ah, like the time I needed to use an air line to blow up the tyre on my car.Upon stopping at a garage I asked a local (in a less salubrious part of Glasgow) where it was...

He pointed and stated "err, err, err"

Which apparently translates as "there's air there" :D

Why is it when people purchase a camera do they come out of the shop with a Nikon :shrug: the correct product is a Canon :D

My grammar ain't the most perfect :D but it really does get my goat when people type "their" instead of "there", and vice versa. :cautious:

And please don't get me started on text shorthand, such as "deffo, tomoz, etc". Handy for flitting off a quick text message on a mobile when you're lazy or in a rush but when you see that kind of thing appear on a web forum . . . urgh!
But that's really an another subject for another time.

When people say "paraletic" when they mean "paralytic" is one of my annoyances. "your" and "you're" is another one. If you don't know how to use an apostophre please don't use it lol.

OR.....'bin' instead of 'been' that gets up my back

Or....WHAT instead of pardon.......does my head in!!

My biggest issue is when people say Pacific when they mean specific and my written one is they're, their and there.

I have a friend who says brought instead of bought. It takes all of my inner strength to prevent me from putting my hands around her throat.

Apart from that, my other main bug is newkiller for nuclear. I knew Bush used to say it, along with many Americans. But I was shocked to hear that Kaplinsky newsreader say it once. And as I was watching the recorded news, I could replay it to make sure I'd heard her correctly.

My final irritation. None of the southeast tv news reporters can say mayor correctly. They all say mare.

Another one I've just thought of. Asterix instead of asterisk. I've already 'educated' a couple of people at work on this error this year when I've been in one of my more tetchy moods.

Another one I've just thought of. Asterix instead of asterisk. I've already 'educated' a couple of people at work on this error this year when I've been in one of my more tetchy moods.

I always liked Getafix.

Or....WHAT instead of pardon.......does my head in!!

especially up here....and they shout it too [note 2 o's]

anyone visiting Glasgow should note the following....

Glassgie....obvious
trooozers......trousers.[UK]...pants..[USA]
windies....windows
wain, short for wee 'un derived from wee one = child
tottie = wee....small
shyte.....universal
'you know what i mean'...must be included in every third sentence
along with the 'f' word

still, we too are guilty... why do peeps here say 'my bad'...:LOL:

actually I do like it up here..................(y)

Have you all read 'Eats Shoots and Leaves' - great reading!

Its that Co-op advert with the scottish twit who says they are '*** with fud'. Like that pronounciation wouldn't work in English 'goood with food' - doesn't scan.
I don't mind regional differences, don't want a return of Mr Cholmondely-Warner. But just poor 'English' gets me riled. Is it that our teaching of English is so poor these days?

Doh! it edited my g-u-d for some reason? Swearing in text speak, perhaps?

effect / affect

routinely abused on forums and email.

But just poor 'English' gets me riled. Is it that our teaching of English is so poor these days?

It's not poor English or poor teaching.

The northern "u" pronunciation for "oo" is referenced as acceptable in the "Letters and Sounds" document that is used in Primary Schools across the country.

Standard English is encouraged in schools, but not at the expense of regional dialect.

Last edited:
Grammar-Nazi-2.jpg

:p

Regional and local dialects can be difficult to for "outsiders" to understand but I think they're wonderful. They maintain some sort of individuality in an age of government sanctioned thinking and standardisation.

I do have my own prejudices though. What's wrong with "what" as an interrogative? "I beg your pardon/pardon?" and "excuse me?" make me shudder.First prize goes to "know what I mean...." delivered in a whining SE accent!

Regional and local dialects can be difficult to for "outsiders" to understand but I think they're wonderful. They maintain some sort of individuality in an age of government sanctioned thinking and standardisation.

I do have my own prejudices though. What's wrong with "what" as an interrogative? "I beg your pardon/pardon?" and "excuse me?" make me shudder.First prize goes to "know what I mean...." delivered in a whining SE accent!

Apologies for double post. The laptop is choosing it's own agenda again............

Last edited:
My grammar ain't the most perfect :D but it really does get my goat when people type "their" instead of "there", and vice versa. :cautious:

I have heard a few people mention that they do that and also type "hear" instead of "here" etc. Strange thing is that they say these are mistakes they never make when writing long hand.

I definitely agree with this. It drives me mad every time I see it!

The other thing that really annoys me is 'that'll learn him'. No, you mean 'that'll teach him'!

Using 'of' instead of 'have' or 'with'

Should of, would of, bored of. Gah. Should have, would have, bored with!!

:razz:

My annoyances...

I'm Cornish, therefore I'm qualified to say it's scone - sc-own, not scon.
Ain't is a legitimate word in cornwall.
Bugger is NOT a swear word, it's an adjective, verb and noun, but not a swear word.
'Tis is the correct way to specify "it is".
"Ee" is an allowed way to say "he", "she" or "you".
And book, look etc are l-er-k, not looooooooooook. The latter is plain ridiculous.

There be a cornish grammar lesson :D

My main annoyance:

Adam Boulton "Chief Political correspondent Sky News" AKA by me the "Ah Um" man. He appears to be able to read but as soon as he is asked a question by a colleague his replies are um simply ah punctuated um by lots and lots of ah and um. It ah quite simply makes um it ah almost um impossible ah to follow his um reply.

One more "i brung my camera along with me", yes you still hear it!

Brought is a regional thing, I have a cousin down in deepest darkest Cheshire who says brought and reckons everyone does too.

Bad grammar? Leona Lewis saying "This song was originally sang by.."

Back