Why do people say "brought" when they mean bought?

Regional and local dialects can be difficult to for "outsiders" to understand but I think they're wonderful. They maintain some sort of individuality in an age of government sanctioned thinking and standardisation.

I do have my own prejudices though. What's wrong with "what" as an interrogative? "I beg your pardon/pardon?" and "excuse me?" make me shudder.First prize goes to "know what I mean...." delivered in a whining SE accent!

As my Mum always says "What - a unit of electricity". Y'know. Does my 'ed in. Innit.

Last edited:
Or....WHAT instead of pardon.......does my head in!!

I think that Jilly Cooper sums that up rather nicely:

"I once heard my son regaling his friends: 'Mummy says that pardon is a much worse word than f***.'" The word 'pardon', to the upper and upper-middle classes, is an unacceptably lower-class signal. If you're upper-class you'll say ‘What?', and if you're upper-middle, you might say ‘Sorry?'

where I live people just completely miss out words in their sentence, it's a stokie thing. They say "I'm going hanley" instead of "I'm going to hanley" usually with the word duck on the end.

"I'm gonna go bed" instead of to bed. very annoying

Marinade or marinate? :D

Simples - you marinate stuff in the marinade......

Best one I have seen on here lately is Signet (for juvenile swan)

why do people say ooo that was a near miss (e.g. you duck out the way of an oncoming football and say corr that was a near miss) when clearly...a near miss surely is a hit?

Using 'of' instead of 'have'
Should of, would of. Gah. Should have, would have!!

:razz:
It's abbreviating should have to should've. It is then misheard, kids don't realise exactly what it is they are saying and are never corrected.

My grammar ain't the most perfect :D but it really does get my goat when people type "their" instead of "there", and vice versa. :cautious:

And please don't get me started on text shorthand, such as "deffo, tomoz, etc". Handy for flitting off a quick text message on a mobile when you're lazy or in a rush but when you see that kind of thing appear on a web forum . . . urgh!
But that's really an another subject for another time.

Their you go :puke:

The other thing that really annoys me is 'that'll learn him'. No, you mean 'that'll teach him'!

I think the trouble here is that 'learn' derives from Old English 'leornian' (cf. German 'lernen') but the OE for teach was 'laeren' (cf. German 'lehren') and they are probably cognates. 'Learn' meaning 'teach' has been used for hundreds of years - Shakespeare used it, Dickens used it - but by 1900 it was considered vulgar. I don't use it in this sense myself but it doesn't worry me either

My son once got pulled up in school for saying "disnae" for "doesn't" - he stood his ground and claimed he was entitled to speak his native language :D.

Last edited:
It's abbreviating should have to should've. It is then misheard, kids don't realise exactly what it is they are saying and are never corrected.

I know, but there's still no excuse. It should be corrected in school.

Yours grumpily... :p

Not so much of a problem for the Welsh, they only have one Vowel in their alphabet.

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!! :D

Were you never taught about starting sentences with 'But'? :LOL:

Most of us were taught that at school . . . and we were taught incorrectly :LOL:
Grammatically, it's perfectly acceptable to start a sentence with "but" (or "and" for that matter) in certain circumstances. In fact, it's been used in written English since records began.

The reason that we were taught not to, is that in most instances these words are used in a context where it would be grammatically incorrect.

An Americanisation - already. As in "Will you shut up already".

To be pedantic, I think that has more to do with Hebraic intonation/translation, than anything to do with Americanisms and has spread out from it's original culture.

There are loads of spelling examples that jar the nerve endings, but generally speaking I can live with them as long as I can make out what the poster is trying to say and the post doesn't contain text speak.

As for grammar, my feelings are pretty much the same, but curiously, the one which really irritates me is people saying "I'm bored of it now." No you're not - you're "Bored with it."

What are we going to change here though when the offenders have spent at least 10 years in the education system, asd often lots more? :shrug:

I can get far more riled about people slavishly adopting every stupid Americanism which floats across the pond. "Hey Dude!" :puke:

I've just thought of another one that makes me go all stabby. "My bad". Arggghh your bad what exactly; Grammar? Use of English?

Most of us were taught that at school . . . and we were taught incorrectly :LOL:
Grammatically, it's perfectly acceptable to start a sentence with "but" (or "and" for that matter) in certain circumstances. In fact, it's been used in written English since records began.

The reason that we were taught not to, is that in most instances these words are used in a context where it would be grammatically incorrect.

I'm glad someone said it. (y) I frequently begin sentences with a conjunction.

"But every thyng which schyneth as the gold, Nis nat gold, as that I have herd it told."

^ That's not one of mine, by the way.

I'm glad someone said it. (y) I frequently begin sentences with a conjunction.

"But every thyng which schyneth as the gold, Nis nat gold, as that I have herd it told."

^ That's not one of mine, by the way.

(y) I deliberately tried to phrase my reply without using the word "conjunction" because that sounds like it can only be used for joining clauses together . . . glad I'm not the only nit-picker to notice it though :LOL:

BTW I think I recognise your quote - it's one of Mr Chaucer's isn't it?

(y) I deliberately tried to phrase my reply without using the word "conjunction" because that sounds like it can only be used for joining clauses together . . . glad I'm not the only nit-picker to notice it though :LOL:

BTW I think I recognise your quote - it's one of Mr Chaucer's isn't it?

Correct! (y) Though I've just realised it could quite easily be mistaken for a bizarre form of text speak. :D

I'm always picking nits with spelling/grammar/etc. I usually try not to get involved, as I initially managed on this occasion too. But then you spoke up, so I felt more comfortable sticking my oar in. :D

Last edited:
i swear to god almighty if i have to ask a check coat wearing moron ( read chav ) where they are going after they say 'poun' that sounds like 'town' because they dont pronounce the 'd' i will throw them under the bus quite happily :bang: , try working out what 'shlater' means as well , answers on a postcard please :LOL:

i swear to god almighty if i have to ask a check coat wearing moron ( read chav ) where they are going after they say 'poun' that sounds like 'town' because they dont pronounce the 'd' i will throw them under the bus quite happily :bang: , try working out what 'shlater' means as well , answers on a postcard please :LOL:

'Shlater' would bee 'see you later' at a guess?

I'm still trying to work out what this one from the "lurkers" thread means:

I dropped 5 posts off the front page and got tore a new one.
:shrug:

Maybe I'm getting too old for this internet lark!

Back