Why do some decide to do major kit change?

Name
Duncan
Edit My Images
Yes
Morning all!
I was struck by an ad for a load of Canon camera and lenses gear for sale. The ad said changing over to Nikon. I appreciate that there are always personal preferences but why would someone sell all of their kit, taking a big price hit, to buy another manufacturers?!
There must be a very good reason.......

Dunc

Well I'm moving some of my gear from Nikon to Canon (although having bought a Canon 40d I'm having second thoughts.. much prefer my D60 or S5 Pro!) and as Canon is cheaper than Nikon generally I will probably actually end up about even.

I suppose if you really wanted to know the reason for the person's switch maybe you should ask them though?

Regarding money, a lot of people don't really mind selling.. especially if the kit is paid for (my gear is paid for several times over allready)

I sold all my Nikon gear because of a bit of a looming financial crisis which didn't materialise, then I bought a 20D so I still had a DSLR then was offered a 5D at a price I couldn't refuse so started up the hill again:LOL:

Pro lenses always have a value, if you buy at the right price you won't lose money on them as long as they're in good condition, I lost £200 on a D300 the rest I just about broke even on.

Morning all!
I was struck by an ad for a load of Canon camera and lenses gear for sale. The ad said changing over to Nikon. I appreciate that there are always personal preferences but why would someone sell all of their kit, taking a big price hit, to buy another manufacturers?!
There must be a very good reason.......

Dunc

It does seem daft on the face of it, but sometimes there's a good reason for such a drastic step. Nikon were extremely late bringing out a really long stabilised lens for wildlife, which is a pretty essential feature for wildlife photographers, so many of them switched to Canon in sheer frustration at the wait. Nikon have resolved that problem now of course.

As the two marques stand at the moment I'd find it difficult to understand a complete kit change one way or the other.

The guy I bought my 5D from was selling all his Canon and switichng to Nikon becuse he had started working for a group of weeding photographers who all used Nikon. It was just more practical for them to all be using the same gear.

And the D3 does look nice - I wish I could aford to have both :)

I am VERY seriously tempted to get a Nikon D700 (can't afford the D3 which would be my lottery win purchase), because of its low light capabilities. Unfortunately that would also mean new lenses :( which just makes the sums unacceptable. I wish Canon could match those low noise levels.

I wish Canon could match those low noise levels.

Same here............and to think when I bought my first dslr I chose the 350d over the Nikon D70 because the D70 had greater noise!! :D
And the Nikon flash system is better too I think.

Oh....... and because I couldnt stand the big red triangle on the front.. but thats a girlie thing! :D:D:D

There's really not much in it.

When look at noise you also need to look at detail retained.

While my D90 has lower noise than the Canon 40D it also has less detail as well.

I prefer detail personally, as you can remove noise, but not recover detail.

There's really not much in it.

When look at noise you also need to look at detail retained.

While my D90 has lower noise than the Canon 40D it also has less detail as well.

I prefer detail personally, as you can remove noise, but not recover detail.

I'm happy again! :woot:

You need to be careful of any review that takes a picture of a detail-less object (say a colour chart) than proclaims a "winner" for noise.

Many reviews get this wrong.

I've actually done it a few times.
I've had Sony, Canon and Nikon.
My Canon 400D was my last major change. I had a nifty fifty, a Sigma 18-50mm (basic) lens, a Sigma 18-200mm OS, Speedlite 430EX, Sigma 70-300 APO.

No matter what I done, it always took CRAP pictures!!!!
Went for the Sony a300, which always takes superb pictures.

I like selling my gear and buying into different systems.
I believe it's all part of the fun.
I've also had a Nikon D40. Which took FAB shots.
I sold the D40 due to there not being many lenses available for it. Although it's getting better....

Part of a hobby for me is buying new gear, and I can't always afford to buy top of the range or even new stuff, so although when I do sell up, I usually lose a little bit of dosh, but I very rarely buy my stuff new so I don't really suffer huge loses.

Here's a good example of what I'm trying to say:
I'd like a 70-200mm F2.8 lens, which the Sony version is around £1200 :eek:
I am NEVER going to have this much money to spend, but I may one day after some saving and good luck etc (!!!!) have say £500 to spend.
If I sold my Sony gear, this would give me the opportunity to get for example
say a Nikon D80, nice 'kit' lens and a Sigma 70-200mm F2.8.
This does open up a few more concerns though, so chances are I won't ever do it!!!

Because of my pretty tight budget, I have to sell stuff, in order to get new stuff. Now if I were made of money.......

it's only a hobby for me, and hardly use the dslr. but when i do, tends to be parties etc.
my current 18-50 and 50-200 are great lenses on the d40, but i would like a more flexible range lens.

so would like something like a 18-200 for flexibility, walkaround lens type thing. this costs quite a fair bit for nikon. i've seen sony do one for sub £200, after looking at sony body's.

the sony body a300/a350, is what caught my eye in the budget range, because of auto focus, live view etc.

as a nikon d40 user, i was thinking of upgrading to a used d80, but i think the a300 would give me what i need.

Well, I've decided to 'jump ship'.
The Sony a300 is a great piece of kit, but I've had my fun with it.
Don't really have a bad word to say about it, just want a change.

But when (or if?!!) it sells, I'll most likely go Canon or Nikon, so there will be better lens options for me there.

Back