Why do you like using a Mac rather than a Windows PC?

I think Andy was pretty careful how he worded the OP, he asked specific questions so as not to restart the PC v Mac debate. Some of us actually answered them.

And since I've never had a Mac, I couldn't answer his original questions without coming across as a PC fanboy, so I answered in the only way I could trying to offer some assistance. If you didn't like my answer just shake your head disapprovingly and move on. No need to add an immature little snipe... :nono:

but the question is, why does anyone HAVE to come across as a "fanboy" instead of just a user?

And since I've never had a Mac, I couldn't answer his original questions without coming across as a PC fanboy, so I answered in the only way I could trying to offer some assistance. If you didn't like my answer just shake your head disapprovingly and move on. No need to add an immature little snipe... :nono:

What I was saying was that some of us answered the questions without getting into the old PC vs Mac debate. I don't see any reason for you to insult me, I am certainly not an immature person and wasn't sniping.
Some of us answered the questions, some of us didn't, is that not the truth?

I like my PC, I prefer it.
I haven't had any problems with it except trying to sort out and get running some communication between a scsi card and a scanner.
I have re-formatted once after 4 years, because.....I thought I ought to...:LOL:....:shrug:.
XP works great.
I never really got accustomed to Mac, I just can't be arsed with it, I gave it a 2 week shot but I couldn't get round it with the same speed a fluency I can on XP.
I'd wager I'd be exactly the same with Win 98 or Vista, so it isn't an Apple thing, although they do need a right good kick up the arse.
I won't be changing anything till I'm forced to for whatever reason, XP..just works.
I suppose there is security with familiarity, if Mac works for you that's cool.
Now who's gonna start a PC :love: thread ? nobody, but it isn't because they don't love PC now is it :cautious:

gawd

Well i'm in a bit of a dilemma with this one, as i have just bought a 24" 3.06ghz iMac on the strength of my experience of running OSX on my 'standard' PC hardware (Overclocked 4ghz CPU / 8GB DDR2 / Dell 2407).

TBH the PC hardware runs OSX better than the iMac hardware. The components i used in the PC were specifically bought for the build to ensure maximum compatibility with the full retail version of OSX (which was pruchased, not downloaded - piracy is bad :) )

The only advantage i can see for the iMac is the smaller footprint, but if i keep the iMac i have the problem of using NAS for the additional HDDS from the PC, which negates the size advantage a little.

I am carrying out more tests over the next few days (Batch Processing large numbers of files) and if the difference is as big as it looks like its going to be then the iMac will be returned to apple (i think they will take it back in the first 14 days :shrug:), and the 4gb mem upgrade sold on .....

When I bought my first mac in 2002, I hated it and went straight back to PC after about 6 months of battling. That mac had the first version of OSX installed, but also had 'classic' OS9 and depending on what software you wanted to use, you had to continuously reboot between the two OS's. It was a bad time to go mac and skewed my perception of it.

I ended up going for a mac again a few years later as the audio software I was using on PC (Logic), became mac only and I absolutely didn't want to learn another software platform. Macs had changed big time by OSX 10.3 and I instantly fell in love. No more rebooting back and forth, and by the time 10.4 came out I was a full mac convert.

It's the whole fluidity of macs I love - everything from the standard software you get with a mac like Mail, Safari, iCal and iTunes to the mac versions of office (iWorks), which imo works just as well. Installing software is so simple - you end up mostly dragging and dropping the file and you're done. Maintenance is really simple and hardly ever needs to be done.

I use a PC at work because I have to and it works for the most part, it really does feel like a chore.

EDIT: had to add - mac boot up a lot faster than PCs and there are a hell of a lot less viruses out there for macs. For internet security all you need is the standard firewall that comes with the mac OS. No stupid virus checker. Also, on my work PC I always seem to be closing down annoying little pop-ups. Doesn't happen with my mac... OK, I'm sure there are ways around all the pop-ups on the PC, but with a mac you find all that is done for you. It's like the OS knows how you work.. very intuitive... intelligent...

Easy peeps! This is my thread and I really didn't want a war which is why I was careful when writing the title. It has NOTHING to do with Windows PC's

We are all friends here which is why I like this forum.

I know these type of threads can create arguments but there is no need. Lets be adults and get drunk and have a wild on line orgy.......yes?:LOL:

Is that the best you can do?
Frankly I could rip your post to shreds, but I refrained. I will continue to do so, but only for the good of the community.

Stock retort.... Go ahead... I see your rip and raise you an humiliation...

Or you can behave like the adult you claim to be and stop trying to get the last word in :wave:

Easy peeps! This is my thread and I really didn't want a war which is why I was careful when writing the title.

It is, and you were.
I respect your wishes.
Not getting drunk with you though, I got caught up in that last night so it's a Ribena for me :D

Not getting drunk with you though, I got caught up in that last night so it's a Ribena for me :D

Ribena eh! You wanna be careful with that stuff! Puts hairs on your chest that does, or so my mum says!!:D

I just find macs overpriced, I've have a windows laptop and desktop station that I had built to my specs (both far higher then the 'equivilent' mac's) and they still worked out a hell of a lot cheaper.

People says windows always slows down and gets clogged up, how hard is it to run a decent virus scan and clean up tool every couple weeks, mine does it automatically and I don't even realise its running.

I've used friends Macs and have nothing against them, it just comes down to £££ for me.

People says windows always slows down and gets clogged up, how hard is it to run a decent virus scan and clean up tool every couple weeks, mine does it automatically and I don't even realise its running.

People say Windows slows down, because it does. I run a virus scanner, spyware scanner and registry cleanser. I defrag twice monthly. I only install software that I MUST install. I am very strict in all those respects. Why therefore, after 6 months, or if I am really lucky, 9 months to a year, why do I find myself with a PC, running a slow as hell Operating System, that crashes and causes me no end of grief?

I am not alone in this respect. I have unfortunately become known amongst family and friends as "The PC guy". This means I do the rounds of maybe 5 or 6 family members, and another 3 or 4 friends, probably twice yearly. Always the same issue. Things crashing....things going super slow, and the PC, in general terms, just being a royal pain in the ass.

As I type this, I am sitting wondering when I will have an opportunity to reformat my work PC (Windows Server 2008, 4 month old install). It uses a Vista like core, and the thing is on its knees, again.

My ONLY solution, to date, for keeping a PC fast, and it works, VERY WELL (Installed on several family members PC's, no phonecalls since!):
http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=54787

Yup, I freeze the hard drive, and any OUTPUT, is stored on a separate drive / partition. The C drive, is in effect, FROZEN. During a restart, it reverts to a saved C drive image file (no bootspeed penalty at all), rendering the last session of use, non existent. Best way to run a Windows PC, ever. Going to install at work on my next reformat.

Gary.

I totally agree Macs appear expensive. To purchase the equivalent hardware and a windows OS would cost less.

But, as seems echoed here by the majority, the Mac is more reliable. Also, as a recent Mac user (and long time PC user) I have to say that I find the Mac far simpler and more relaxing to use overall.

Yes the Mac costs more, but for me the value is proportionately greater as a result of the simplicity of operation. All the maintenance tasks listed to keep a PC in tip top condition are simply not required. Not one. All that extra time for photo processing or lying in the bath :clap:

Although if you had asked me within a day of buying my Mac I might have bitten your head off. It took me a couple of days to get my head around it. Now I love it.

Hi there,

In fact i am not an expert user of computers, but in the past i was using Windows desktop [and still but very rarely] and after i got my Mac [MacBook Pro] last year i started to forget Windows, with PC windows in one week only or 1 month because of extreme work on the net i got viruses and problems and so and so, and with my Mac even it is full of viruses [Windows viruses i think] i never have any problem with it until now, and it is so fast, i feel i was an idiot i didn't upgrade to Mac long time ago, now i can't stop using Mac at all, i just use Windows only for Games if i want and for MS Office applications.

Back