why do you shoot digital... film is so much better!

I remember the first digital photograph I saw on an old Amiga 500 (?) it was surprsingly good. I rember thinking that this is the way forward and convetional photography would never be the same again. I kept using my Nikon F4s (which I still own today) for quite some time until I thouhgt that the digital market has stablised somewhat. When is the technology bus going to stop ? I can't believe the massive influx of new cameras coming to market. The development of improving quality is phenominal

Nick, time waits for no-one and technology never stands still.

The market will influence what the developments are and the developments will encourage the market.

What takes little effort to obtain, is often of little value; that which is hard to obtain, is frequently prized With digital, it is very easy to take photos. Taking 'good' photo's still takes effort, and is difficult, and thefore they still have value; but to do it with film? Can be more of a challenge, and therfore to get ANYTHING ultimately more rewarding. Said it over and over, 'Better' is subjective. Better at what? Matter of Image Quality has been done to death, and is ultimately pretty irrelevent. Few ever exploit the ultimate Image Quality either 35mm or Digital might offer, so what does it matter? Either can deliver more than 'Acceptable Quality Levels'. Cost has been done to death. Digital isn't 'Free'; and we shoot to the limits of our budget anyway; the camera and consumeables only being a part of the costs of getting a picture anyhow. Capabilities? Ability to change ISO setting or switch between Colour & B&W. Ability to machine-gun; all these sort of things? ALL are just as possible with film as with digital; just not necesserily with a single camera body; or at the flick of a switch or prod of a button. CONVENIENCE remains about the only significant difference. The convenience of shooting in a format that the image is most likely to remain in; which can more easily and rapidly be accessed, viewed, stored, transmitted, duplicated or manipulated. But the sacrifice for that convenience is 'Magic'. You shoot digital; you come home, take the card out the camera, stick it in the computer, copy to your hard drive, then click on the first one in the list, and it pops up, instantly, what, 15" wide or more? You know you took photo's; you probably saw them on the screen on the back when they were taken, and you got a frame review. You expect that them to be on the card, you expect them to be on teh disc and its no surprise when they pop up on the screen in all thier glory. When you shoot film, particularly slide film.... well... I KNOW that its only 'chemistry'.. I have a ruddy A-Level in the subject, I am a scientist, an empirasist... but even so... You take a little can out the back of the camera; you trim the ends of the leader you have been careful not to loose into the can on rewind; then put it, a pair of scissors, a developing tank and spiral into a changing bag, and working blind and by feel you wind the film onto the spiral, snip the film off the spindle, then put the loaded spiral in the tank, and seal it up, before taking it out the bag. You then pop the tank into a washing up bowl full of warm water, and add warm water to the tank to get it up to temperature, which you measure with a thermomenter stuck out the top. Meanwhile, you get your chemistry ready, and likewise, put the bottles of made up solution into the washing up bowl, and making sure you clean and rince the thermomenter between solutions... take all thier temperatures; scooping water out of the bowl and topping up with warm to keep them all constant. Like a parent, nursing a child, you nurture your latent image; tend to it, care for it, and following the instructions, slosh chemicals around like the mad scientis about to make that breakthrough that will save mankind! Eventually, after lots of intense adjustments; taking care to keep the temperatures correct, and watching your timings, the film is developed, and ready to rince; in warm water first, but cooling it, slowly back to room temperature, adding a little drying agent in the last rince... Then... then.. and with unsteady hands, you face the moment of truth... HAS IT WORKED! What will you find inside the tank? Will the film have dissolved? Have you cooked the emulsion? Have you over agitated it and got sloch markes and uneven development? Was there anything there to develop in the first place? Did you fog the film loading it onto the spiral? Did you kink it? Please, PLEAS dont tell me I cross threaded the spiral, or opened it and dropped the film out the grooves as I put it in the tank, and all I'm going to find in there is a much of stuck together celuloid! And, with shaking hands you lift the lid, and withdraw the spiral... and as the last rince drips, you SEE.... Little Pictures! Tiny, little minute photographs! And you hold them up to the light, as you squeegee off the damp of the last wash; and extract the film from the spiral, and weight it and hang it to dry... And you stand there, like a new father, EVERY BLOOMIN TIME.... stunned, marvelling at these little wonders of chemistry, hanging in the doorway, the light from behind shining through them. "I MADE THAT!" Its incredible. Doesn't matter if they are any good or not. It's just incredible they even EXIST at all! And you value them, because you made them. You invested your time, your effort, your know-how into producing them, and it WASN'T easy; it wasn't just a touch of a button, it WASN'T 'expected'.... It was MAGIC And that is something Digital just does not, CANNOT offer. I'll probably, well, almost certainly digitise any pictures I have taken on film; anyway, and it would be a heck of a lot easier to shoot directly, and more reliably and predictably, straight to digital.... but? But... there's no 'Magic' in that. No involvement; no challenge, and what comes 'easily' is often valued little; what is hard, prized. Now WHO the heck is this Bob Dylan character you are talking about?! :thinking: Was he that hippy fella my Mum & Dad used to listen to?;)

^^^whs^^^

I may be very late to this thread but nothing compares to that moment or if it's slide film when you realise you have made perfect miniature stained glass windows that glow when you hold them up it the light, ok when you eventually project or even scan them you realise that you've missed the focus point or they're slightly underexposed in the shadows but for that moment you've created a masterpiece :D

TL: DR

apart from the first couple of lines, however saying its east to take pics with digital is rubbish - its easy to take crap pictures in either medium , its hard(er) to take good pictures in either medium

TL: DR

apart from the first couple of lines, however saying its east to take pics with digital is rubbish - its easy to take crap pictures in either medium , its hard(er) to take good pictures in either medium

If you have metered and picked your composition, aparture, iso and such whats the difference? The same things go into either medium. Only difference is with digital you can look and think hmm -0.3 ev I think as apose to getting home with film and waiting a week to think damn I should have done that.

Film is cool granted but digital is far more practical in the real world

-0.3V ????

My film camera doesn't even do half stops let alone 1/3 stops :)

-0.3V ????

....When I moved from film to digital cameras after so many years, the different value settings were initially very strange but you soon adapt and get used to it.

And it doesn't need to if you are using negative film as a third or two thirds of a stop over exposed is not going to blow out any highlights.

Steve.

And it doesn't need to if you are using negative film as a third or two thirds of a stop over exposed is not going to blow out any highlights.

Steve.

Depends for over exposed an area is to start with dont it.

Not really, film doesn't have a linear response to light like digital does and highlights don't really on negative blow unless you're VERY overexposed.

Not really, film doesn't have a linear response to light like digital does and highlights don't really on negative blow unless you're VERY overexposed.

So what you're saying is that getting the exposure right is more critical with digital but you can get away with it more with film. So therefore film is easier, no? :D

:coat:

So what you're saying is that getting the exposure right is more critical with digital but you can get away with it more with film. So therefore film is easier, no? :D

Stop poking the funny filmies they bite

Of course digital is easier. People didn't dump film and turn to digital in their masses because it was more difficult.

Steve.

It may be easier to take a crap picture with digital, but it isn't exactly difficult with film.. load, aim, shoot, drop the cassette off a Tesco... oh my pics are crap

that doesn't differ inherently from load, aim, fire - stick the card in a computer... oh my shots are crap

the skills that go into taking a good picture on the other hand are pretty much the same (or comparable once you start looking at post process) so its no easier to get a good shot from one to the other

people went digital enmasse for reasons of convenience and cost, not because it inherently made them better at photography

With a modern film in a modern SLR in a semi auto mode, sure, it is easier. But that's not what 90% of film shooters use.

Combining a camera with no inbuilt metering and slide film with an exposure latitude of
8fc27b209ba0923aa52897d4cb0a3656.png
1/3 of a stop and it gets trickier somewhat. Adding to that manual focussing and full stop shutter speed increments, it gets more difficult.

But when it all comes together...

With a modern film in a modern SLR in a semi auto mode, sure, it is easier. But that's not what 90% of film shooters use.

Combining a camera with no inbuilt metering and slide film with an exposure latitude of
8fc27b209ba0923aa52897d4cb0a3656.png
1/3 of a stop and it gets trickier somewhat. Adding to that manual focussing and full stop shutter speed increments, it gets more difficult.

But when it all comes together...

It was a joke Rob. :p

I miss film photography in some ways: the excitement of checking over the images after they've come back from the lab, or trying to guess from the drying negs whether you got what you hoped, then seeing the first image when you pull it from the tank. Images could be great too, in a different way from digital - I learned Cibachrome printing first before colour neg & finally B&W, and loved the incredible intensity and depth of colour from that process.

But I don't miss the expense, the inability to check image quality at the time and being dependent on someone else (or myself) getting it right every time. And I LOVE the ability to control images with quick and easy software manipulation instead of spending hours and lots of money in the darkroom.

Good to see this thread continues on the new forum! It's still delivering as well :)

Film is better!

Well, I can appreciate both film and digital and I respect both media.

I will say that digital is far from dying, as some have suggested. Enter the world of WiFi and NFC etc and wireless remote control beyond just the shutter release via iPhones etc.

Dropped a roll of film off today - about 18 months after it seemed like a good idea to shoot analogue again. Can't wait to find out what's on it. :LOL:

Dropped a roll of film off today - about 18 months after it seemed like a good idea to shoot analogue again. Can't wait to find out what's on it. :LOL:

I always thought it would be fun to shoot a small card of digital pics then hide them for a year to get that nostalgia back ;)

To be honest i do miss my contact sheets,but going back to film at the moment no,digital here to stay but shoot what ever you like :)

My Dad bought me an F5 for my 30th to go with all my Nikon gear and it is fun to go out a shoot a couple of rolls of film now and then. However, I greatly prefer digital.

My 30th was a while back and I think a DF is a little bit beyond the budget for a birthday present!

Are there really any film shooters out there who do not have anything to do with digital ????? I for one do not think so, personally I enjoy both. Digital for it's speed, convenience and flexibility and film for sheer pleasure of developing the negs and the prints myself. I really used to enjoy getting my slides back, each one beautifully mounted in it's own frame, like small jewels that came to life in the light.

Why should one be any better than the other ??

Are there really any film shooters out there who do not have anything to do with digital ?????

Yes. There is a forum called APUG (Analog Photography Users Group) which has many members who only use film and print optically. Obviously there are also some there who scan their film and some who use digital as well but discussions of digital and scanning are not allowed there.

I prefer to print with an enlarger and normally only scan to share images on websites (as that is the only way to do it).

Why should one be any better than the other ??

One cannot be universally better than the other as they are different but one can be better for one person and the other better for someone else.

Steve.

Yes. There is a forum called APUG (Analog Photography Users Group) which has many members who only use film and print optically. Obviously there are also some there who scan their film and some who use digital as well but discussions of digital and scanning are not allowed there.

I prefer to print with an enlarger and normally only scan to share images on websites (as that is the only way to do it).

One cannot be universally better than the other as they are different but one can be better for one person and the other better for someone else.

Steve.

First, I don't think your "yes" can be so unequivocal, All I said was "Are there really any film shooters out there who do not have anything to do with digital ?????" even you have a scanner as do I (Nikon 5000)

Like it or not we all live in a digital world and we all brush up against it every day, even those who try to avoid it, the very fact that there is a forum ( APUG ) (and I have a look there now and again) tells me that those users are on the internet swapping idea's, thoughts and images also tells me that they are not exclusively film based (how do you show an image on the internet if not digitally)

But I do agree with this :clap: " One cannot be universally better than the other as they are different but one can be better for one person and the other better for someone else."

Back