Why does my computer put a little icon when I click on a diagram?

Name
Duncan
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi folks,
Any computer wizz kids out there? Occaisonally when I click on a diagram [pdf?] it doesn't open but puts a little icon in the top left of the screen with a X in it. I do have Adobe [the free one] running windows ME. Some pdf' open ok but diagrams don't.
Any ideas?

Dunc

The diagrams you're trying to open, might they be Flash applets/animations? Are they interactive in any way? If you could link us to them, that would help :)

I'm tempted to say that your problem is your OS :LOL: it could be an old version of IE being unhelpful, too.

Go to View > Status Bar and click it to show the status bar at the bottom of the browser window. Click the diagram and see if you get any funny messages.

The diagrams you're trying to open, might they be Flash applets/animations? Are they interactive in any way? If you could link us to them, that would help :)

I'm tempted to say that your problem is your OS :LOL: it could be an old version of IE being unhelpful, too.

Go to View > Status Bar and click it to show the status bar at the bottom of the browser window. Click the diagram and see if you get any funny messages.

Hi,
Tried this status bar remains blank! Small X icon doesn't seem to respond to anything.

Linky http://www.cpelectronics.co.uk/pdf/46.pdf

Cheers,

Dunc

ALL versions of IE are unhelpful :D

As are Microsoft bashers who lend no particular purpose to a thread :p

Dunc,

If you could take a screenshot (press prtsc or whatever your print screen button is called, open mspaint and then press control and V or click edit and paste) and stick it up here for us to have a gander at it'd help immensely.

Windows ME is by far the worst OS ever coded, I hate it with a vengeance but if you post up a screenie we'll try and get you sorted.

If you could email me the diagram you're trying to open too or just paste a link to it on here if its online I can tell you exactly what it is and what it needs to open ;)

As are Microsoft bashers who lend no particular purpose to a thread :p

Dunc,

If you could take a screenshot (press prtsc or whatever your print screen button is called, open mspaint and then press control and V or click edit and paste) and stick it up here for us to have a gander at it'd help immensely.

Windows ME is by far the worst OS ever coded, I hate it with a vengeance but if you post up a screenie we'll try and get you sorted.

If you could email me the diagram you're trying to open too or just paste a link to it on here if its online I can tell you exactly what it is and what it needs to open ;)

Hi Matt

Link to site/diagram is a few posts above. In the mean time I will try and do the other thing you asked!

Thanks,

Dunc

Matt,
Don't seem to have MS paint.......... When I click on the link to open the PDF the screen is essentially blank other than the little X in top left. Sorry can't be more decriptive!

Dunc

Oh yeah, sorry about that, I missed the link ;)

More than likely you just need to update your acrobat reader to version 8.

http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html

Some pdf documents are written in older versions of acrobat and so will open in any version, that one is probably newer and the old reader is having problems interpreting it.

Download it (as long as there is still a windows me version, I'm sure there is) and install, see how you get on.

Back