Why doesnt the 10-22mm work on a full frame camera

Name
Dini
Edit My Images
Yes
Just trying to understand the reason why the 10-22mm cannot be used on a full frame camera.

- What is the widest focal length that can be used on a full frame
- I have seen a lot of people use the 24mm-105mm on FF. How does 24mm on a FF compare to 17mm on a cropped sensor. Which will capture more of the scene?

That's like 4 questions. lol

The 10-22 is made for a crop sensor camera. They move the lens closer to the cameras sensor. The reason the lens will not work on a full frame is because the full frame sensor is so much bigger that the shutter would actually hit the end of the lens when it opened.

The widest focal length I can think of off the top of my head is 8mm. There are probably wider but that's around the range.
The lower the number the wider the lens and the more you will capture.

Not all camera's have the same crop factor (I think). The Canon crop is a factor of 1.6. In other words you take the 17mm and multiple it times 1.6 and that will give you the full frame equivalent. 17mm x 1.6 (crop factor) = 27.2mm.. 27.2 is larger than 24 so the 24mm would be wider and capture more of the scene.

I hope that answers all of your questions.

That's like 4 questions. lol

The 10-22 is made for a crop sensor camera. They move the lens closer to the cameras sensor. The reason the lens will not work on a full frame is because the full frame sensor is so much bigger that the shutter would actually hit the end of the lens when it opened.
I hope that answers all of your questions.

not quite true ,,,,,the mirror would hit the rear element if it could be mounted ( which i dont believe it can )

You could probably mount it by using a small extension tube but that would be an exercise in futility as it would both narrow the wide angle (ie the USP of the lens) , plus you would see a fearsome ammount of vignetting.

A greater exercise in futility is that ziggy's question was originally asked 2.5 years ago, so he probably isnt still looking for an answer

Just trying to understand the reason why the 10-22mm cannot be used on a full frame camera.

- What is the widest focal length that can be used on a full frame
- I have seen a lot of people use the 24mm-105mm on FF. How does 24mm on a FF compare to 17mm on a cropped sensor. Which will capture more of the scene?

I used to have a Sigma 12-24mm that worked very well on my full frame 5D, in fact I think it was a much better lens on my APS-C 20D than my previous Canon 10-22mm. They are quite expensive though.

17mm on APS-C = x1.6 on Canon = 27mm. x1.5 on Nikon = 25mm.

I think that the Sigma 12-24mm is the widest non fisheye full frame zoom, unless anyone knows better :D

not quite true ,,,,,the mirror would hit the rear element if it could be mounted ( which i dont believe it can )

There are vids on youtube that show you how to mod the lens to fit and from what I remember all you have to do is cut away the plastic at the back of the lens as it's this and not the actual glass that makes it intrude too far into the body. God knows why Canon EF-S is like this when the 3rd party people make APS-C lenses that will mount on FF. Of course YMMV and don't try this at home :D

A greater exercise in futility is that ziggy's question was originally asked 2.5 years ago, so he probably isnt still looking for an answer
Good spot there Pete :)(y)

Steve

Im sensing a theme here...

Seems to be a lot of major thread revivals going on today. Something to do with the new forum software?

The Canon 16-35mm f/2.8L on FF would give you the same effective focal length as the 10-22mm on crop.

[EDIT] Also, PAHAHA at digging up a 2 year old thread!

Last edited:
Yeah I was looking for something and forgot where I was at on the site. From there I started answering questions that had not been answered or had little response. Sorry guys.:confused:

Don't be sorry, you gave everyone something to talk about ;).

There are vids on youtube that show you how to mod the lens to fit and from what I remember all you have to do is cut away the plastic at the back of the lens as it's this and not the actual glass that makes it intrude too far into the body. God knows why Canon EF-S is like this when the 3rd party people make APS-C lenses that will mount on FF. Of course YMMV and don't try this at home :D

The plastic bit just flicks out but you can't go lower than 12mm, I put a rubber o-ring behind the filter at the front which works well. Its not ideal though. useable from 15mm up really.

(flippin 2 year old thread! lol)

Last edited:
i currently use a sigma 10-22mm in my 1d3 1.3 crop factor, only issue is vignetting around the 10-13 mm otherwise works fine, so can be used.:)

Last edited:
Back