Why hide EXIF info?

As I said, "photography forum, or debating society" ?.:)

Sorry but I don't see an issue with discussing around various topics, some of which are even about photography. It makes the forum a fully rounded, interesting place, rather than a photo sharing site with 'nice pic' comments.

Not trying to sit on the fence, just pointing out that while I fully appreciate what is being said by Phil/Pookey with regards to understanding light, learning from doing and all the other useful things they have mentioned, as a novice I have found exif useful in my progression on a few occasions.
Thanks for the clarification, and there's nothing at all wrong with 'sitting on the fence' it's not a failure, pragmatism is a valid outlook to have (the best IMO).

I know it's lost in the pages of arguments, but no one has said that EXIF data is of no use ;). But you can't argue with 'of limited use' (itself the pragmatic answer).

I often hide my exif settings when i'm using a manual lens like my samyang 14mm F2.8. I do it because the lens doesn't have any contact with the camera, so the exif data wil show wrong

I often hide my exif settings when i'm using a manual lens like my samyang 14mm F2.8. I do it because the lens doesn't have any contact with the camera, so the exif data wil show wrong
Strictly speaking that's not you hiding it, rather the lens doesn't communicate what it is, so the fields are left blank. I have several images like that in Lightroom with the same lens. makes searching the metadata a little more interesting as it comes up as unknown.

Yes it's been covered before - no it's not a big deal.

Really honestly, if you think that copying peoples 'settings' will get you anywhere, you're on completely the wrong track. Here's the clue though 'it's all about the light'.

But this will now descend into a ridiculous discussion from which you will learn very little about photography and lots about Forum politics.

Get some popcorn and enjoy the ride.
It's useful for beginners but that's about it.

I have my exif turned off other than copyright information, the reason?

Because it is of no use to me, i hadn't even given a thought that others like to look at exif information.

But its pretty much useless unless you are replicating the exact same conditions,
that applies to myself as well as the person viewing the exif (in most situations).

I have my exif turned off other than copyright information, the reason?

Because it is of no use to me, i hadn't even given a thought that others like to look at exif information.

But its pretty much useless unless you are replicating the exact same conditions,
that applies to myself as well as the person viewing the exif (in most situations).
I have mine on as it's an effort to turn it off

I've always thought people hide the Exif Data in order to protect the information on how they've created an image.

I've always thought people hide the Exif Data in order to protect the information on how they've created an image.

I'm sure some might, but the majority probably don't.

I don't consider it hidden, i just see it as turned off.

My photography isn't good enough for me to be that arrogant about it ;)..

I don't consider it hidden, i just see it as turned off.

My photography isn't good enough for me to be that arrogant about it ;)..

Same here. I do often look through shots I've taken as reference for myself, quite interesting I find.

I guess it depends on what you do in your workflow too, I sometimes export pictures out from lightroom to another program to do tweaks and this process strips out the xiff data automatically...

Back