Why I don't use Ebay

Gremlin

Houdini
Name
Ingrid
Edit My Images
No
Last week while out on delivery the office phoned about a next special delivery that was showing as delivered but
seems hadn't been received by the addressee, any idea where it would have gone !!!

Losing next day specials is serious so I am always really careful, but I didn't remember having one for that address
Reply was, "suppose I'll have to check the tracking on the PDA"

Never heard any more until today I spoke to the customer, seems he sold an Iphone on ebay and the buyer
said it wasn't working when he received it, so he sent out a prepaid label for it to be returned special delivery
and that never came back to him.

Where did it go, to the next road about 2 miles away, seems the guy returning the item had changed the address on the label
not realising it was a rural area, and sent an empty box back.

The great thing about rural areas is people tend to be on good terms with their posties, so a visit turned up what had happened,

This scam seems to getting more and more common from a few post I have seen, sadly RM won't take responisibilty as they delivered and
it seems ebay aren't interested as they say there is proof of delivery, so just be aware

Where did it go, to the next road about 2 miles away, seems the guy returning the item had changed the address on the label
not realising it was a rural area, and sent an empty box back.
Crafty b*****d!
That kind of explains a few threads I've seen here too!

Crafty b*****d!
That kind of explains a few threads I've seen here too!

Yep, that's why I posted it, seems the seller is always going to lose out :(

I had a message from my last ebay buyer today praising me on the level of packaging used as Royal Mail appeared to used it as a football. Item survived and works.

So they won't be sending it back you at a false address, that's lucky (y)

Happened to me too. Start an investigation with your tracking number, ring the customer care line and chase the sorting office, I went in a lot but they found an empty parcel a few miles away with my tracking no.

I emailed ebay and had to get a police fraud crime number, the refund from my scam buyer was appealed and I got my money back, a stressful 3 weeks but it did go in my favour in the end

Looks all the elements of a deliberate fraud with a provable chain are there!?

So I wonder, as he is using RM to perpetrator his fraud, if both the RM Anti Fraud department & the Police would investigate???

PS I took too long to post and @jonoooo125 posted akin to my thoughts :)

Last edited:
Yep, that's why I posted it, seems the seller is always going to lose out :(

Further to my post above ........perhaps the individuals that do this are possibly serial perpetrators and need chasing and prosecuting to "mark" that it will be taken seriously!

Happened to me too. Start an investigation with your tracking number, ring the customer care line and chase the sorting office, I went in a lot but they found an empty parcel a few miles away with my tracking no.

Your's was one of the cases I remembered when I heard about this.
Special Delivery is signed for, but as long as someone at the address signs for it, it does not have to be the named recipitent

My customer actually provided a labelled prepaid special devilery envelope for the item but the address had been altered by the sender at
it was delivered to that address

My customer actually provided a labelled prepaid special devilery envelope for the item but the address had been altered by the sender at
it was delivered to that address

Does this alone add weight to what I postulated in post #7 as it has proof of a deliberate act to confuse and create confusion to hide his fraud???

Once you can prove that with a Royal Mail investigation, and complain to eBay, they will ask you for a fraud number, I provided the fraud number and my Royal Mail case number and the decision was reversed within 2 hours

It's often the most popular items like iPhones that seem to attract the scammers.

I often sell more niche 'collectable' type items on ebay and have really experienced very few problems over the 14 years since I joined the site and have been selling stuff.

I love ebay.. had hundreds of transactions .. spent thouands of pounds. sold hundreds of pounds.... its brillaint..

had one problem with a seller..... got it sorted and i won... still using ebay rather than run off crying because of one thing... :)

Never used it , never felt happy about using it, even in my early days on the internet there were many stories of people
being scammed
I don't do a lot of online shopping and when I do I have a credit card that is not attached in any way to my bank account

Sure I read this exact scenario a few days ago, might have been here, or another forum. The seller was currently chasing RM and the police for a resolution.

Ebay is getting a joke for sure.

I wonder how much of this is the old thing of you never hear the good stories, only the bad? I tried to share a positive above.

Another positive, today I received 2 used IP cameras from eBay. One of which has a pink cast on half the screen (not described as having this fault). Within 10 mins of contacting the seller I had a partial refund despite him being out for the day.

Can't fault that.

I wonder how much of this is the old thing of you never hear the good stories, only the bad? I tried to share a positive above.

I have no doubt there are many success stories, but this seems to be an increasing scam used especially for mobile phones,
they buy it from you, claim it's faulty, send back an empty box to a wrong address to get a signature and keep the refund
and the phone, just wanted to warn people, who will moan that RM aren't interested, but fail to realise they have
fulfilled their contract by delivering the item and getting a signature

Back