Beginner Why is this so noisy?

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
jbgn6Zq.jpg

This was my first set of shots with my new (2nd hand) 80D. I bought the camera from MBP and they said there are only 1500 clicks on the shutter, so it's as good as new in my book.

The settings for the shot:
ISO 320
1/1600sec
f/13

I under exposed 2 stops because I wanted the sun to come through, but I was surprised at how much noise there is in the foreground.
I'm guessing it's a combo of the fast shutter and high aperture that's not letting in enough light, but I want to be sure I'm not missing anything else.

Cheers!

Those settings look WAY OFF for the low light sunset situation. Even ISO 3200 would have been too low with 1/1600th sec and f13. More like ISO 32000!

The settings for the shot:
ISO 320
1/1600sec
f/13
I wouldn’t have expected those settings at that time of day. ISO 320 is quite low considering you’re at f13 and a fast 1/1600 shutter speed. Is there a typo and it’s meant to be ISO3200?

have you increased the exposure of the foreground? I would have thought would have been in shadow if you underexposed the image. If you have increased the exposure in the shadows that can introduce noise artefacts.

Last edited:
I'm guessing the foreground was pretty severely underexposed so you've had to boost the shadows a lot in pp to get detail. It's a good recipe to increase noise and I've found the 80D is fairly susceptible to this at the best of times (although usually more luminance noise whereas your image is showing a fair degree of colour noise hence the assumption of the shadows boost)

Those settings are correct ISO 320.

Another reason could be have you increased the exposure of the foreground? I would have thought would have been in shadow if you underexposed the image. If you have increased the exposure in the shadows that can introduce noise artificial.

Nope, the photo is completely unedited because I wanted to get thoughts on why it looks like it does.

Last edited:
Back