Why Lightroom?

dod

TPer Emeritus
Name
Ebenezer McScrooge III
Edit My Images
Yes
I've been trying to use the trial of lightroom but I just don't get it :|

I don't understand the catalogues, nor why you'd want them? What are the advantages of using lightroom, why is it such a benefit for photographers? Do I just need to persist with it to get to know it?

What are you used to using for importing/developing your images?

What are you used to using for importing/developing your images?

I copy everything from the card straight onto a hard drive with the file structure I'm happy with, I back that up to another. I shoot mostly in jpeg and very rarely do any processing apart from maybe tweaking levels.

If you do practically nothing to the images, Lightroom is probably not going to add anything to your workflow... Unless you want to use it as a database system - in which case Elements is cheaper and just as capable....

The first time I used Lightroom I was so overwhelmed I gave up. Then the second time I trialed it I fell in love. I import, flag what I like, tag so that in the future I can find things easier, then edit the ones I like and I have several plugins that upload directly to the sites I use (ie. Flickr and Facebook and to a lesser degree Photobucket for videos) You can really make photos pop so much more with a few slight contrast and saturation changes.

I find catalogues to be a nuisance and irritation. I convert all my RAWs to DNGs so all the edits are contained within the individual DNGs. I create a new catalogue within each main folder that I'm working in. I don't do any other 'catalogue' stuff so if the catalogue were to be lost somehow it's no big deal. I've even deleted them deliberately.

The only minor benefit to me is that if I'm doing some extended PP then LR opens quickly and takes me back to where I left off. I'd still prefer an explorer type navigation pane as in the likes of ACDSee and similar progs.

Once you get the hang of it, and even set up some basic adjustment pre-sets, LR is relatively quick to work on a load of pics requiring simple tweaks. And if you have recurring dust spots, with a little care you can semi-automate removal of those too.

thanks for the input guys. I'm really not getting what LR is about so I think it's time for me to give up on it :)

Have you tried Photoshop? Some like Lightroom, some like Photoshop, most use one or the other, or something similar. It really is worth hanging on in there to get to grips with some sort of post production - have you tried any of the books that are around, or looked for a short course?

thanks for the input guys. I'm really not getting what LR is about so I think it's time for me to give up on it :)

You need to give it a chance - have you watched the tutorial videas? Read the help files? It is a very powerful piece of software - and a million times faster/better than photoshop for 95% of your photo editing.

The question really is - are you happy with the results you get straight from camera and your current storage arrangements?

If you are then great - why spend the money

If you feel there might be something lacking, then processing / filing software may just provide what you are looking for.

You will get probably every answer possible on here including spending a fortune on software you may only use a minute percentage of.

I have used Lightroom and Aperture - both as processors and both for filing. I prefer Aperture for speed but Lightroom for filing. Neither have everything I want so I am looking at Elements for Layers.

Don't get drawn into the 'if you don't use it you're a carp photographer' misconception(y)

It is a very powerful piece of software - and a million times faster/better than photoshop for 95% of your photo editing.

A million? A whole million times faster/better than Photoshop? Not just say 999,967.8 times faster/better? May be best if you publish your empirical evidence for this fascinating claim, just so's we can all be clear about it.

Or perhaps you'd like to sort of modify the statement a little bit?

Last edited:
I think you know what I mean.

No, not really.

I'd say that there are benefits to both Lightroom and Photoshop and that both are excellent programmes. I would add the opinion that the type and quantity of photography you do will help determine which system may best suit your work flow.

I would also say that there is nothing that you can do in Lightroom that you can't do in Photoshop, but there are many processes that you can do in Photoshop - either Elements or the full suit versions - that you cannot do in Lightroom.

(Anyone else getting a touch of deja vu here? :thinking:)

Actually I'm getting rather fed up with these threads so I'll stay out. If anyone wants my advice or help with Lightroom I'll do my best but PM only.

fwiw I don't get LR either George. I've tried a few times to "get it" but I honestly can't find anything that it can do any better than my existing Bridge - Photoshop workflow :shrug:

I tried Lightroom and couldn't get on with it either. :shrug:

I'm a fairly recent Lightroom convert. I find once you stop trying to use the file structure exactly like your pc OS it makes more sense. I'm very pleased with it.

To answer the OP's question:

I like the fact it leaves the original file intact, is easy to tag and label images, create collections and then sync with Flickr. It's post processing tools are simple to use and give rapid and easily seen results. It took me an evening of watching online tutorials to get to grips with the basics.

If you're happy with minimal post processing have you tried Picasa. Its free, makes pics easy to share, is none destructive to original file and is intuitive and fast for simple tweaks.

Last edited:
Just started using Lightroom allied with the Scott Kelby book and can see how it could become a very useful bit of organisational software, great for RAW processing too

Pleased i bought it especially at the teacher and student price

I would also say that there is nothing that you can do in Lightroom that you can't do in Photoshop, but there are many processes that you can do in Photoshop - either Elements or the full suit versions - that you cannot do in Lightroom.
So you can use photoshop to create a database for your photos, create slideshows, upload to the web, etc? I thought there was lots of useful things in Lr that aren't in PS.

It's all about speed with lightroom once you get a grip of it, i still use photoshop CS5 for some editing but a majority is done in lightroom.

Neil B said:
It's all about speed with lightroom once you get a grip of it, i still use photoshop CS5 for some editing but a majority is done in lightroom.

+1

Lightroom is good when you want to do a few things to a lot of photos, on the other hand if you want to do a lot of things to a few photographs then photoshop is probably the answer.

I used PS for a decade or so for both design and photographic purposes. Over the years it's evolved into a sub-section of CS, working brilliantly and intuitively with inDesign, Illustrator and the other bits 'n' bobs you get in CS. However, as it's got more powerful, it's got more bloated and much of what it contains isn't of use to the everyday photographer. Plus, it's expensive compared to LR (and especially to Aperture), when much of what average photographers want to do only accounts for a small percentage of what PS can actually do.

I moved over to LR2 (after a brief foray into Aperture - I didn't like that but I can't remember why now:)) and to be totally honest, it's been a revelation AND a revolution for me; the access to images and image editing tools through both the catalogue system and the library/develop tabs means I can work faster and be in more direct contact with my images before, during and after the edit.

I know the Bridge/Photoshop relationship is one that works, but it's one that I found not to be totally intuitive on one screen as LR can be. I haven't used the latest version of PS to be fair but v2 and v3 of CS just didn't work for me now I do little in the way of pixel-level alterations and/or layer work. That is where PS still has the edge and that's why I still have CS3 on my mac for the rare occasion I need to do some layer masking etc.

I think most programs have similarities that may look different at first glance, but in reality aren't too hard to get a handle on (like the keywording in bridge/PS). However, LR is made for one group - photographers - and I just think it's powerful enough without being wasteful, as PS can be with those functions that just never come into play.

As for what the OP says about catalogues, I understand what you mean - it appears a bit mad to have things splitting when they're physically all in one place on a HD - but if you shoot a lot of stuff like I do and where cataloguing ultimately helps out, having catalogues for specific reasons does eventually make sense, if only to speed up access. There are a few good online resources like thelightroomlabs that cover it in easy-to-follow video tutorial form that really help. Adobe's built-in help section in LR isn't great, plus you have to link out to Adobe's main resource site, but there are some helpful people elsewhere that have done the right thing to make it easy :)

Last edited:
I'll join the I did/do not like Lightroom.

Then again I don't believe that Adobe is god gift to photography, which could influence my decision, now Aperture I love :)

Love lightroom! Look at the tutorials online to see why Lightroom is so god.

I agree though if you are only editing a few images then maybe it's not for you. When shooting 1000 images at an event and uploading and editing them, Lightroom does it very quickly.

EOS_JD said:
Love lightroom! Look at the tutorials online to see why Lightroom is so god.

I agree though if you are only editing a few images then maybe it's not for you. When shooting 1000 images at an event and uploading and editing them, Lightroom does it very quickly.

+1

I've got thousands of images in Lightroom, but never bothered to tag or add keywords when I first started. It's tough having to backtrack!

I really like using Lightroom and use it quite a bit. My general workflow would be like this:
Shoot in RAW
Insert card into PC
Import RAW's into LR
Edit
Export to jpeg.

If you aren't editing your images I really don't see any benefit to using LR. I use a 450D and I find editing the NR when I use high ISO much easier in LR than on the camera, and with cleaner results too!

Another Lightroom convert. If they added layer functionality I'd ditch Photoshop I think.

As a non-pro, I use Catalogues to keep my libraries small.

Archive Catalogue which has every photo in it.
Current Catalogue for stuff shot this year which keeps the File Navigation tree to a manageable size.

For me, the big + is the ability to have several export functions. One click on an image and I can export it for web (3 sizes depending on where it's going), print, or photobook. No need to resize in PS.

Basic darkroom control of light (levels/curves/exposure), and colour (WB etc) make small adjustments easy, quick and painless. Not every image needs PS processing.

Noise reduction is (IMO) excellent too.

I don't tend to use the tagging of images with keywords that much, but the star function (to pick out my favourites) and the colour tabs ("to delete", "to process in ps", "finished" etc) get a lot of use.

That's my tuppence.

Ian.

When shooting 1000 images at an event and uploading and editing them, Lightroom does it very quickly.

I use faststone for that. Fast and free. Then run a quick action on the folder to resize everything and off to the web they go :)

Thanks for all the responses everyone but I can't see anything compelling to change. :)

I work with databases in my day job, so Lightroom was second nature to me when the first betas of v1 appeared a few years back.

I've also been using Photoshop for nearly 20 years, so I'm hardly immune to its charms. :)

With Lightroom, I keyword everything I shoot. I can find anything instantly. I can rate and organise which pictures are going to make the cut much more rapidly than anything else I've tried.

For applying a white balance correction across seventy photos, it's way quicker than anything I could do with Photoshop. If I took a hundred photos in a day, it would take me several hours to work my way through them before. Now I can tag and do the PP in an hour or so. Based on my recent history, Lightroom suffices for 99.5% of my editing needs - if I could stitch panoramas using Lightroom alone, I think Photoshop would be nearly redundant.

If you only shoot JPEGs, and not too many of them, do a couple of tweaks and save back as a JPEG, then it may well not be for you.

Non-destructive editing has its advantages; the most obvious being that you can go back to any point in your editing history and change it.

If you shoot RAW, then with my 12.8 Mpx 5D, a single-layer 16-bit RGB TIFF file is 70-odd MB (which is how I used to keep my 'master' files after PP in Photoshop before Lightroom) vs about 12.5 MB for the RAW.

With about 75,000 images in my Lightroom library, if I'd converted every one to TIFF, that makes the difference between needing 1 TB of storage and 5.25 TB. Even at a lower keeper rate and deleting the rest, that would nearly be enough to justify the cost of Lightroom alone, especially when you have to consider backing that lot up (and simple mirrored RAID as a safety net). Go back to the cost of storage even a couple of years ago, or if today you're shooting with a higher pixel count, then a handsome saving can be made.

If you keep layered Photoshop files to allow further adjustments to your edits (see first note above about non-destructive editing) you and multiply the storage costs still further.

It has some weaknesses. Notably, there's currently no API to allow other developers to hook into the RAW processing engine, so if you need to take an image out into something like Nik Silver Efex Pro for a nicer b/w conversion, it has to make the round trip via a TIFF file, which obviously interrupts the non-destructive editing workflow.

I could think of other areas it could be improved (wishlist #2, to allow the substitution of a different RAW processor such as RPP or DXO in place of Adobe's Camera RAW engine; #3 allow local adjustments of anything you can do globally, such as white balance, #4 a better clone tool, etc.) but it's pretty useful tool for me as it is.

Last edited:
For applying a white balance correction across seventy photos, it's way quicker than anything I could do with Photoshop.

No it isn't! Open the shots in RAW>select all>synchronise> adjust white balance.

All the shots will get the same change. Takes seconds.

Mind, personally I'd worry more about having 70 photos from a shoot with the wrong WB :thinking:

No it isn't! Open the shots in RAW>select all>synchronise> adjust white balance.

Pretty sure that must have changed since PS CS3 then. :)

Mind, personally I'd worry more about having 70 photos from a shoot with the wrong WB :thinking:

I disagree with Panasonic on what is proper daylight WB on the G2. Their setting (5200K/+6) is too cool for my eye and I don't like their auto WB for daylight either. Caused me lots of grief getting colour right for the my first month of ownership. Set it at 5800K and +10 toward magenta and it's spot on 99% of the time.

e2a: Might have something to do with my using Canon FD lenses rather than modern ones. All manufacturers have their own common tuning for colour across their range of lenses.

Last edited:
i downloaded a trial version of lightroom. Was so over-whelmed by it. Just didn't know where to begin. Ran back to the arms of Photoshop and promised her I'd never cheat on her again.

in my opinion as far as the OP is concerned LR is of no real benefit to his kind of photography and workflow from what I can see and looking at his web site.

LR is mainly about none destructive workflow and having one file for multiple uses without having to generate and store additional files and being able to find them at the click of a button.

Just as have you have those that purchase CS5 then just use it for basic editing that any editor would do but never venture into it's ability to create editable alpha masks and split channels etc.

Then there are those that do not want to/do not need to or never venture into all the things LR is capable of and never fully learning what it can do.

Like any program it takes perseverance and a learning curve to use it to it's best capability.

If it's for you, that's only something you can decide and as we all have different tastes and needs there is no wrong or right as long as you are happy with what you are using.:)

Last edited:

You mean you can open 70 photos in Photoshop at the same time ? My limit is usually four, depending on how many layers they have, sometimes it is only one if I have a lot of layers

You mean you can open 70 photos in Photoshop at the same time ? My limit is usually four, depending on how many layers they have, sometimes it is only one if I have a lot of layers

I wouldn't usually have any layers added when I open the RAW shots. Dunno if I've ever tried to open 70 at once though!

The interface in PS ACR has definitely improved since CS2 + 3, with the 'mini-bridge' viewer at the bottom. Does ACR supports virtual copies like LR does? That's probably one of the best function in LR, the ability to have many different versions of the same shot at your fingertips, all showing on the same screen with their individual adjustments.

On the WB issue, it's not unusual to have WB variations if you do a big shoot. It happens to me all the time; the WB and overall look of the shoot changes when in AWB with light levels, shooting in shade or open sun, the lens I'm using (etc etc) - that's the beauty of raw for me...... I get the shot and worry about the finer points when I get back to the office.....

Back