Why no Canon 35mm TS-E lens since the FD mount? What are others using?

I am using the Canon 35mm FD T-S! (and an Olympus 35mm shift)

Modded for EOS? I need something that’ll match with the EOS 5Ds for pro use. Currently using Pentax 645 35mm on an adapter but it’s a slow process and the hounds are constantly snapping at my heels.

Btw some of the Pentax lenses are affordable and very sharp although the distortions are a bit of a pain to correct due to the shift in post.

Modded for EOS? I need something that’ll match with the EOS 5Ds for pro use. Currently using Pentax 645 35mm on an adapter but it’s a slow process and the hounds are constantly snapping at my heels.

On Fuji and Sony bodies, I'm afraid. I tried a used Samyang tilt-shift which was EOS mount but it was defective. Worth looking at though, I'd have thought

Last edited:
Thanks but I’ve not seen anything to compel me to try a Samsung lens bar the price which is just not reason enough. My research on Pentax lenses showed them to be tack sharp when stopped down a little which I’ve found to be true. Does the samyang report f stops etc to the image metadata? That would be a step in the right direction.

Just looked up samyang and it’s a 24mm ts. I should have mentioned I have canon 24mm and 17mm TS-E lenses already. It’s the 35mm FL that I’m missing.

The current T/S 24mm is unofficially compatible with the 1.4x extender. It works just fine, just with a smaller max aperture.

Regards...

The current T/S 24mm is unofficially compatible with the 1.4x extender. It works just fine, just with a smaller max aperture.

Regards...

Tried that too. There’s about a 2fs range where the quality is acceptable and its still not great. My Pentax 645 option gives a much better result.

Using the 45mm TS/E, its not a lens that I feel it needs updating for what I need it for.

The 45 TS-E isn’t recommended with the 5ds. Quality reasons I’m guessing. I used it for years with the Eos 1ds through to the 5diii and found it fine with some extra sharpening. If I had one I could try on the 5ds I’d def give it a go but I don’t know anyone nearby with one that I could scrounge.

So nothing that can match the quality of the Pentax 645 (or other MF lenses) via a TS adapter. Be nice if an adapter could report the f stop and tilt/shift amounts so that correction in C1 was straightforward. Mirex, fotodiox, and Hartblei are you listening? BTW Fotodiox you need to at least try to address the flare issue in your adapters.

Allow me to rephrase, I meant more so in the sense that Canon may feel the 24mm and 45/50mm satisfies the majority of its customers needs and the investment in a new 35mm TS-E wouldn't have a worthwhile return.

That’s how the whole shebang works though isn’t it. I’m surprised that for years Nikon only had a 35mm TS and canon had the 24 45 and 90. 35 seems like such a sweet spot for a TS lens if you want to keep distortion down. In the 90s that wasn’t a big issue for architects but these days they want images that look more natural and more “lifestyle” which the 24 and 17 can’t do at all well. (And the 50mm TS-e is just a bit lacking when it comes to adding context). But yeah, £$€¥ is the master.

have a word with this guy - https://www.thelensdoctor.co.uk/page14.html - and see if he can do a conversion for the FD 35mm t/s to EF mount. I had a 85mm fd 1.2L converted by him and it was absolutely stunning... ended up selling the lens on to a friend who wanted it for video/movie use and rated it better for that than the actual mk1 EF

have a word with this guy - https://www.thelensdoctor.co.uk/page14.html - and see if he can do a conversion for the FD 35mm t/s to EF mount. I had a 85mm fd 1.2L converted by him and it was absolutely stunning... ended up selling the lens on to a friend who wanted it for video/movie use and rated it better for that than the actual mk1 EF

Thanks. That’s an interesting option. Has anyone else done this? I wonder if the IQ is a good fit for the 5Ds.

Back