Why shouldn't I buy a 7D

Edit My Images
Yes
Right I have the cash available and I'm on the verge of buying a 7D body.

Is there any reason why I shouldn't be doing this?

I don't think that the 450D I currently have gives me enough room, especially with anything that involves bumping up the iso, plus after holding a 7D my current body feels small and weak, plus I've already got a few decent bits of glass.

17-55 F2.8
70-200 F4 L
100 F2.8 Macro
50mm F1.8

I think I'm just looking for reassurance as I find it hard to release my grip on that sort of money. I was looking at HDEW as they do it for £1050 with a 3 year in store warranty.

Thoughts?

Hi,
I have had a 450D, I now have the 550D, as well as the 7D, so I know what you mean about the Body.

Nothing wrong with the 7D and if you have done your homework and it ticks all the Boxes just get one.

It will be a Leap up from what you have.

Regards.

Last edited:
After years of frivolously spending I finally in my mid thirties started taking money seriously. That means I have saved up and actually have the money in advance of purchase, now I’m scared to part with it, is this what being old has in store for me?

Last edited:
After years of frivolously spending I finally in my mid thirties started taking money seriously. That means I have saved up and actually have the money in advance of purchase, now I’m scared to part with it, is this what old has in store for me?

LOL. There's nothing wrong with appreciating the value of money and it's easier to spend it than it is to earn it. The 7D has come down a lot since it's first launch and is a bargain at current prices. I love mine, but other than that it's your call! :D

Right I have the cash available and I'm on the verge of buying a 7D body.

Is there any reason why I shouldn't be doing this?

No none whatsoever, I shall be very dissapointed if you have not at least ordered one by the end of today :D

HTH

David

You've got good lenses and if you want it, and you can afford it, I'd just go ahead. The 7D seems to be an excellent camera.

Worry about getting old when you get there. I'm 58 and still have a long way to go.

After years of frivolously spending I finally in my mid thirties started taking money seriously. That means I have saved up and actually have the money in advance of purchase, now I’m scared to part with it, is this what old has in store for me?

Are you calling me OLD:).

If you're going to have the Camera for a long time your Money will be well spent, you Already have good Glass, take the plunge with the 7D and see it all come together.

Regards.

Hi,

The Real worry is where you buy it from, the place you have mentioned seems to good to be true.

Regards.

Photography is very expensive but sure is worth it...i love it, even though im c*%p at it lol

Why is it talking you so long, think of the quality of all the images you could have taken by now.

You are missing out.:crying:

all the best

As above, you could have had 4 weeks worth of shots in the bag by now. Get it now, stop procrastinating!!

I only procrastinated for about 8 months before buying mine last December.

I probably should have waited 7 months and three weeks less though ;)

Do it.

Go for it :)
I went from a 400d to a 7d and the difference was immense. If anything, it was worth it for the focus points and screen resolution alone

Looks like "the ayes have it".

No idea what you shoot but you lenses give a hint that a 5D2 might be an option (17-55 out) as you seem to be more atune with the shorter end of photography.

Bob

You should not buy one because instead, and for about the same money, you can buy a second-hand 1D mk3 which is a far better camera for many reasons, most of which you can read about in about a zillion other threads.
Is that helpful?

EDIT: I just saw that someone else wrote the exact same thing, so I must be right!

Last edited:
Flats said:
You should not buy one because instead, and for about the same money, you can buy a second-hand 1D mk3 which is a far better camera for many reasons, most of which you can read about in about a zillion other threads.
Is that helpful?

EDIT: I just saw that someone else wrote the exact same thing, so I must be right!

How do you know the 1d3 would be better for the op? The 7d is better than the 1d3 in some areas and the 1d3 better in others.

I don't think that the 450D I currently have gives me enough room, especially with anything that involves bumping up the iso, plus after holding a 7D my current body feels small and weak, plus I've already got a few decent lenses.:) (I hate the use of the word "glass" they're lenses.) :)

I'm not a great believer in big heavy stuff because it feels chunky and manly, give me light and compact every time, and I'm pretty sure that your current camera wont snap in half with a 70-200mm on it. Other than that... dunno about higher ISO performance but one thing that I do find annoying about some bodies is the 1/4000 sec max shutter speed whilst other bodies have 1/8000 sec. With a wide aperture it's easy to exceed 1/4000 on a sunny day so that alone might tempt me to change camera bodies.

Oh, I have no idea, the OP didn't specify what type of photography or in what conditions etc. I was just saying that for a grand, there is another option out there, and in my very very humble (ahem) opinion, it kicks the 7D's butt in many more ways than the 7D kicks it.

I've no idea what level of photographer you consider yourself to be, but what you could consider as an alternative to an expensive new body, is the model below it (60D?? I'm not well up on Canons range) and invest the rest in a weekend training course on your preferred subject matter, e.g. landscapes, etc. This would probably make a bigger improvement to your photography than a new body alone.

I love my 7d upgrading was the best thing I decided to do. Feels a lot better and the ISO performance is great compared to the 450d that i used to have

do it :)

Cant add anything more to the above, other than to add that I join the ranks above as a happy 7D owner.

No problems with HDEW.I got my 7D from them last month. Great service and a 3 year warranty (y)

I too have a 450D and its been great as I've used it completely to learn and its helped me decide I really enjoy photography the benefit being keeping a low expenditure while finding out :)

I'm also looking at the 7D.

I wanted to ask if you/or anyone has found a descent price for the 7D? The problem with some websites is that I am finding they say UK Stock....but a bit of investigating digs up claims the hardware is from HK!

Looking on the NET for reviews these guys seem to have a positive review.

7D 1050 + 3 years warranty!

http://hdewcameras.rtrk.co.uk/?scid=22824&kw=6152240&pub_cr_id=8133932721

Tks
Rocky

Take a look at Camerapricebuster.co.uk...

They show Amazon as the best price at the moment....

I went 450D to 7D.....things that blew me away....

Viewfinder brightness and size
viewfinder information clarity (you can do all kinds of funky things)
AF system - is just awesome...
wireless flash
build
lcd and buttons on top... so quick to change the key settings...
overall control system... faster, easier..

JFDI as they say.....

I am in the same position as you but I have a 40D. I bought a 24-105 from HDEW last year and collected it, I cannot fault their service for that and I would definitely buy a 7D from them as they give you the 3 year warranty (with Colchester Cameras) for £1050. :)
Still trying to justify...........;)

I upgraded from the 450d to the 7d last year and love it. The higher iso capability really helps and for action shots , the 8fps is ideal for the sports I photograph.

I can't fault it, I even gave a friend a loan for a day and he ordered on that month, upgrading from the 1d mkii.

Should have added that I got my 7D from HDEW too - very happy with the service I received.

Well looks like my friend may take my 450D, thats goes back into the pot for 7D....

I'm feeling the 3 years warranty....peace of mind.

(y)

For an extra chunk of cash quite possibly...

ID or 1DS ?

Not sure if the question is for me or OP.
If for me, I shoot mainly sport so it would be the 1D. I own a 7d and it is a great piece of kit but I think the 1d iii is a better camera. I have owned one in the past.

Back