Why use 35mm Cine film for stills ?

Edit My Images
Yes
Why use 35mm Cine film for stills ? As it's still available does this mean it is still used for video ?

It's pretty much the only way to shoot freshly produced tungsten balanced film these days. There's also the option of slow 50 ISO daylight film.

Yes, 35mm (and 70mm if you're Christoper Nolan/Quentin Tarantino/Paul Thomas Anderson) is still used in the movie industry.

A friend of mine was just crazy about these as he claimed
there were /are more emulsion types to play with within the
different each tungsten and daylight types. I don't know if
he still is… contact was lost over the years. :(

The tungston thing makes total sense now but I had thought use of 35mm film for movies was dead , as the say you learn something new each day. Long live film !

The tungston thing makes total sense now but I had thought use of 35mm film for movies was dead , as the say you learn something new each day. Long live film !

Very much the opposite.

Christmas 2016 I went to the Odeon at Leicester Square to watch the 70mm roadshow or Hateful Eight. Shot on 70mm and projected in certain cinemas. Amazing experience!

As @FruitFlakes said, a lot of big name directors insist on using film in its various formats.

The new Star Wars, La La Land, The Post, Ready Player One...this list goes on. Mother was recently shot on 16mm film!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back